Reckon Accounts Emailing, Printing , Save to PDF with Error Code -20 , -30 or -41 Printer not Activ

Inigo
Inigo Member Posts: 193
Having problems with saving an invoice to PDF so that it can be emailed.

These have been known relate to one or more of the following.

1) Printer Driver issues
2) Printer Port issues
3) Printer Spooler issue
4) Permissions for the logged in Windows user

Try these first.

Error Code -20 , -30 or -41 Printer not Activated
http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=3952

Best practice for Save as PDF and Emailing in Reckon Accounts Business 
http://kb.reckon.com.au//issue_view.asp?ID=4897

If you want to know more history about these PDF issues or the steps above did not work for you

***** Use at your own risk *****

"Here is an updated link to the PDF Repair Utility. Intuit has combined the separate versions into one installation package – you will be asked to select the year of QuickBooks you are working with. It is a little messy, as it leaves some files on your desktop, but that isn’t too big of a deal."

From the article below
http://www.sleeter.com/blog/2013/04/digging-in-to-quickbooks-pdf-issues/

It mentions a PDF Repair utility for Intuit's QuickBooks.

Since Reckon Accounts is based on Intuit QuickBooks, the repair utilities by Intuit would most likely work with Reckon Accounts. 

Remember they are NOT exactly the same, so Reckon's 2014 version is not like Intuit's 2014 version. For Reckon Account try the older Intuit QuickBooks 2009 options.

-IM

Comments

• Inigo
    Inigo Member Posts: 193
    edited April 2015
    Yes that would be better.

Why don't we remove all this saving to PDF nonsense and just generate plain HTML invoices.

So instead of ending up with PDF invoice documents that get attached to emails, which fall over whenever a breeze blows, it instead generates that same information as a HTML based layout within the email itself, that is one less point of failure.

-IM
  • Richard Bronstring
    Richard Bronstring Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2015
    Hi,  wondering if you can help me - I've had to load Quickbooks  Pro 2011/2012  on to new laptop running windows 10. I've done the activation, created a new invoice and tried to save as pdf to external file and got pop up --- Printer not activated - error code 20  . can you help??  I'm not very computer savvy but can follow instructions well.  Cheers Rich
  • Vera Harper_7970277
    Vera Harper_7970277 Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2016

Richard this is a joke.. I have two versions of quickbooks  one on my laptop which is still happily sending emails direct to my customers. the other on my PC now entails Printing the invoice scanning  to a pdf then attaching to an email... this is crazy. my laptop is just supposed to be back up. I invoice my customers by email up to 4 or 5 per day and this is driving me crazy. I have tried the fixes but nothing works so far.

Vera

• Vera Harper_7970277
    edited January 2016
    Yes both 7 and both worked perfectly until recently.  I will check this out later when I have time.  I can print the pdf on my office printer and I have removed the quickbooks printer, never did work out what that is all about. The annoying thing is it worked for several years my editions are both premier 2011-2012. I will post back here if I solve the problem (or not)thanks.
  • Vera Harper_7970277
    edited January 2016
    thank You I used the fix and it worked perfectly. Makes my life  so much easier. I will know where to come when I have any future problems.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2016

I've had this problem since 2010/2011 QB accounting Windows 7 emailed one invoice and then this error - 30 and another error -20 when printing reconciliations. So solved the problem with a Bullzip printer (adobe reader pops up and I email from there).  I upgraded to 2012/2013 Accounting Plus, and still had the same problems but continued using Bullzip and changed to Windows 8.1....I am also current with Microsoft Office 365, Outlook 2016.

Now I have the Trial Accounts Plus 2015, Windows 8.1 and amazingly emailing invoices worked (20 in total), reconciled reports printed first time in FIVE YEARS.....For two months only.

Today, I emailed one invoice - went ok.  2nd one had Error -30.  I called the Support line and was told to follow the kb.reckon link.  That takes me back to **** that didn't help 5 yrs ago.  It didn't work then and I can't see it working now.  I am not an IT expert - renaming work related printer files and deleting them - won't happen for me. I can't believe an Error from a 2010 subscription can carry through 3 new computers, 3 Reckon Accounting programs because of a MS Office update in 2016.  Sorry I've had a guts full.

• jamesred911 .
    jamesred911 . Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2016
    I have Reckon Pro 2015 on a windows 10 platform using outlook 2016 and the email invoice function will work once then I get printer errors, I have spent so many hours searching and applying all the so called fixes and not one of them works. What do I have to do to get my very expensive Reckon product to work with the industry standard office application?

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited December 2016
    Hi Jamesred911,

Welcome to the Reckon Community

Its quite a challenge to get Reckon Accounts 2015 to email through Outlook 2016 on a Windows 10 PC.  Our next release due out in April will be Outlook 2016 compatible.  

In the meantime here are a number of tweeks you must follow to successfully email.

Before I even start, it might be easier to roll back to Outlook 2013 - a Microsoft guide is here.

Some prerequisites:

First, install the 64-bit version of Outlook 2016.

Next, with Reckon Accounts closed, open the Reckon Accounts .ini file located at C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Reckon Accounts 2015\QBW.ini, in Notepad and add the following 2 lines at the bottom:
         [DEBUGGING]
         SIMPLEMAPI=1

Finally, run your session with UAC turned on to the Default level (1 step form the top)

We suggest you:

Launch Outlook 2016 with Run as Admin first.
    then launch Reckon Accounts 2015 with Run As Admin
    (set permanently by right-click icon > Properties > Compatibility)

With these settings and sequences you should now be able to create and send your emails successfully.

regards,
    John
  • Darren Chapman
    Darren Chapman Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2016
    Same issue but with Windows 10 and Outlook 2013 (was working with Windows 8.1/Outlook 2013 and then stopped after Windows 10 upgrade).  Confirming the steps above work until upgrade available.

Regards

Darren
  • htmr67
    htmr67 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2016
    Open outlook before you open Quickbooks, and everything seem to work fine.
  • jamesred911 .
    jamesred911 . Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2016
    Did exactly as asked and it sends 1 email then exactly the same problem
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi jamesred911,

Go to Edit > Preferences > Online > Company Preferences, and change the selection on Display each email when sending more than one.  (untick if ticked; tick if unticked)

Does this make any difference?

regards,
    John

• Carli Mulholland
    Carli Mulholland Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2016
    Can print PDF's after Windows 10 upgrade. have tried to do the steps above without success. i am running the latest outlook. - thanks
  • htmr67
    htmr67 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2019
    I'm still using 8.1 pro and have the same issue, ive found if u use outlook for your mail? start outlook before you start quickbooks and and you can email 1 batch and then it cracks the ****

• Carli Mulholland
    Carli Mulholland Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2016
    I have also found this to be the case. however now with the Windows 10 upgrade it will not even work once.
  • Vera Harper_7970277
    edited April 2016

I used the fix and it worked on my PC (windows 7)

updated my laptop to windows 10 and now it is giving me the same error.. 

I need to try and fix it on my laptop before even considering upgrading my PC to windows 10.

Is this a technical term "cracks the ****"

• Ifti
    Ifti Reckon Staff Posts: 258 Reckon Staff
    edited December 2016
    Hi all,

If you are using Reckon Accounts 2015 and Outlook 2016, you will get the issue with emailing after you send an individual or a single batch of PDF forms.

This is due to Reckon Accounts Business 2015 not being compatible with Office 2016.

Our latest Reckon Accounts Business 2016 is compatible with Office 2016 and Windows 10. Upgrading to this should resolve your emailing issues.

Note:

If you are on Reckon Accounts Business range 2016 and continue to have this issue, then please follow the below steps:
    1. Right click on the shortcut > Properties > Security> Edit > 

2. Choose the currently logged in user > tick "Allow" box for "Full Control" > OK > OK

3. Now run Reckon Accounts 2016 again and it should resolve the issue.

Please let us all know how you go.

Thanks

Ifti
  • Sandra Lothian
    Sandra Lothian Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2016
    I am using Reckon Accounts 2014 / Windows 10 and Office 2016.  The 'Printer not activated 20 and 30' happens all the time following 1 use of the email print feature.  I have researched and tried all the fixed but nothing works!  I don't have the words to tell you how totally unacceptable this is.  We should not have to spend any money to upgrade to the 2016 version to get our existing software (that already costs a lot) to work!  I have to restart my computer 10-15 times a day to get my work done!

When you run the PDF repair utility mentioned above it only refers to Enterprise revisions 2009-2013 has anyone used it on Reckon Account 2014?

I need this fixed! Any help would be appreciated.

• Vera Harper_7970277
    edited April 2016
    we would all like this fixed I paid $1400 aussie  to buy my quickbooks and it wont work for emailing invoices here on my windows 10 what are quickbooks/ reckon doing about this glitch
  • James OConnor
    James OConnor Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2019
    As an update I have tried all the solutions suggest to no avail. Reckon you really need to address this problem as it is getting beyond a joke.
  • James OConnor
    edited April 2016
    That is total rubbish, and when it does not work what then...
  • James OConnor
    edited April 2016
    So to fix an widely documented fault with the software we are expecting to pay again.
  • James OConnor
    edited April 2016
    Even better is finalize the account and make the move to a new software vendor who actually cares a little bit. Its the only way they will ever learn
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited December 2016
    Hi James,
    As Andrew has mentioned, Reckon Accounts 2016 is our fully Windows 10 compatible version which has been released earlier this month.

In your specific case, you can login to the Members area with your Customer ID and PIN here and download the 2016 upgrade.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Craig Howard
    Craig Howard Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2017
    Anyone able to confirm if the fix is stable in RA 2017?

I will add to the outrage that it was never fixed in 2015 also.
  • Craig Howard
    edited May 2017
    I have just installed RA 2017  and I can confirm that the Windows PDF Printer Driver works well to create a PDF file rfom reports and Invoices.

I will confirm that it cost me $260 NZD to achieve this fix by way of the upgrade price.
  • Craig Howard
    edited May 2017
    I am very happy its fixed.... but un happy I had to fix a fundamental function such as this.

At least I can give my printer and scanner a rest now!
  • Craig Howard
    edited May 2017
    Reckon loves me...Yeah...I had no choice on the pdf issue...So tired of printing and scanning!

I dont need or use Payroll or Webmail functions so no issue here ...but I sympathise with others.

I have had workarounds for other issues for a long time...eg NZ GST Reports.  I tried many times to get that fixed by accredited users...No Luck. 
  • Craig Howard
    edited May 2017
    Well I also had too much experience and 20 years of data invested in this software.
  • Skye McClymont_9156816
    Skye McClymont_9156816 Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2017
    Hi, I'm having issues with the errors 'Printer Not Activated' (before I even have a chance to select the printer), in Reckon Accounts EasyStart 2013.  I'm a Windows 10 user.  It seems that, even with those error messages, I can print an invoice to PDF (latest one done end of last month, and it was fine), but I have been printing reconciliation reports to PDF, and it was letting me save them and all seemed fine, but when I went to look up a report I previously saved this way, it's not there!  (And trust me, I looked everywhere).  The problem seems to have started when I got the new computer (Windows 10, was previously using Windows Vista), in March 2016, however, some reconciliation summaries DID save that I did around mid July 2016, and nothing from then on.  Some say they are saved but won't open, and others just haven't saved at all.  Can anyone assist me with this?  I know it probably involves an update or upgrade, but if there is a way to fix this without doing that, that would be great.  I don't really want to go back to paper printing every single one.  TIA!
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited June 2017
    Splitting to new thread Please reference the new conversation here: Printer not activated - Reckon EasyStart 2013 & Windows 10

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.