Reckon Accounts Enterprise 2018 extremely slow

Bernard McLean
Bernard McLean Member Posts: 3
Hi, Our company is using Reckon Accounts Enterprise 2018. It is hosted on our server. We use 2 company files. Sizes are 444,164 KB (.tlg file 214,464 KB) and 170,048 KB (.tlg file 160,960 KB) respectively. In the larger company folder, there is also a .Qtempbackup.tmp file that is 860,203 KB.

In the past few months, the program has stopped to a crawl. Simple tasks such as creating sales orders, converting orders to invoices or purchase orders is a slow and painful process, sometimes taking up to 5 minutes. This becomes particularly problematic when serving customers. 

We have been told by our IT consultants that the company files are too large and that we should be archiving the majority of data and making the operational company file smaller. We'd prefer not to do that as we rely on historical information to be able to assist customers both with looking back on jobs and assisting them at point of sale.

Our IT guys performed a data verification and rebuild 2-3 months ago, but this has not done anything to performance.

My question is multi pronged. Are our files at a size that should be causing the program to run so slowly to be almost not workable? Is it possible that a data verification and rebuild was not completed, and how can this be checked? Is it common to archive data and what are the potential impacts? How do you do a data verification and rebuild? Are there any other options to improve performance of the program?

I have been told that Reckon doesn't handle inventory very well. The lists in each company are around 3,500 items and 2,500 items respectively. I wouldn't envisage that this amount of data should cause many issues, but just want to check if that may contribute to the issue.

Any assistance greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• Big Hat
    Big Hat Accredited Partner Posts: 93 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2019
    Hi Your files are not too large Suggest you run a back up with full verification then possible rebuilds if advised during the backup Let me know if I can be of further assistance

John Peppas

• Bernard McLean
    edited February 2019
    Thanks John,

I'm learning as I go here. How do you safely run a backup and verification? Is it Utilities/Verify Data? 

Save to the server or to local drive? 
  • Bernard McLean
    edited February 2019

Started a backup to my local desktop. Have been on this screen for 5-10 minutes now.
  • Graham Boast
    Graham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 331 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2019
    Hi Bernard

Here is my process for optimising datafiles:

• Run a Report > Accountant > Trial Balance - All Dates and Accrual Basis.  Print this out for later reference.

• Resort all Lists.  The main ones are Chart of Account, Items, Class, Names (Open Write Cheque then Ctrl-L to access).

• Do a portable backup (File > Save a Copy or Backup > Portable Backup

• Press the F2 key to bring up the Product Information Screen. Take note of where the file is located and its filename.  Close Reckon.

• Using File Exporer, goto the file location, and create a sub-folder, then move the .qbw file (red icon) and the .tlg file to the subfolder.

• Restore the portable file as a new file using the original location and filename.

• Open the file - it will make you do a backup - make it a complete backup.

• Do a rebuild of the datafile and another backup.

• Run the Trial Balance again and check it hasn't changed.

• Go to the old files (in the subfolder) and rename them - I just add zz-2019-02- at the front of the filename so you know what it is and its obvious its not the main file. 
    There are some other things that may help:

• When you first open Reckon, check what else is running (view > Open Windows List.  Having an open Accounts Receivable Ageing Summary or BAS report updating in the background can impact performace.

• Check the multiser setup and services running on each computer:
    • Computer that stores the datafile: Look but don't change. File>Utilities > check menu says "Stop Hosting Multiuser Access" - this indicates that file hosting is ON.

• From windows windows button > R > Services.msc .  The services QuickBooks Database Manager Services and QuickBooksDB26 should have status = running and startup type = Automatic

• All other workstations: Look but don't change. File>Utilities > check menu says "Host Multiuser Access" - this indicates that file hosting is OFF.

• From windows windows button > R > Services.msc .  The services QuickBooks Database Manager Services and QuickBooksDB26 should have status = blank (ie not running) and startup type = Disabled

• Check the firewall on the hosting computer has been set up for the current version of Reckon.
    You may also consider replacing the main counter PC with a fast i7 computer with a Solid State Drive, and moving the Reckon files and hosting to this machine.  You can backup onto the server.  This also takes away network cabling/switch issues.

Other issues you mentioned: 
    • the Qtempbackup.tmp is probably a backup that crashed halfway through.  Check the date but it can probably be deleted.

• Archiving Data if you are running inventory is generally a waste of time.

• FishBowl Inventory 1300 785 755  fishbowlaustralia.com.au is worthwhile considering.  It is an addin for Reckon that takes over and significantly improves the sales, purchasing and inventory management functions from Reckon.

Graham 0409317366
    graham@reckonhelp.com.au

Graham Boast | 0409 317366 | graham@reckonhelp.com.au