Reckon Accounts has stopped working

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

This has been happening for as long as I can remember, through Win7 8 10, all updates all thru the last ?? 5 years at least

"Reckon  Accounts has stopped working" appears and the program freezes advising I need to close it after editing an entry in the to do list, I can open and view an existing entry, I can create a new entry all with no problem but as soon as I edit and existing entry in the to do list QB crashes, says "a problem with the program"

Any ideas ????

Photo of Peter Baxter

Peter Baxter

• 412 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell, Accredited Partner

• 40,800 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You should not be using Reckon Accounts with a home version of Windows. It says this on the box. You should be using Professional or higher
Photo of Peter Baxter

Peter Baxter

Been using reckon accounts or quickbooks for 15 years and the last "box" I got was probably 8 years ago. From what you say the program is not compatible with my OS ?? is that correct.

Current advice from Reckon website http://estore.reckon.com.au/74/24/Accounts-Plus/more says "Compatible with Windows® 10 & Microsoft® Office 2016" or "System Requirements - Windows 7/8/10 operating system"

Reckon accounts is not perfect but I am very familiar with it, it has a few quirks that have never been addressed by the company to my knowledge, I don't go looking for faults they just happen.

Photo of Kevin Russell

• 40,800 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yes it is correct. You should be using the Professional version of Windows. You can do an in place upgrade it will cost you $249.00 or you can upgrade to thw current version of Reckon (2017) or you can move to Reckon Hosted for $600 pa. Call me if you wish to discuss Kevin 0407744914
Photo of Peter Baxter

Peter Baxter

So you are advising Reckon 2017 (which I already have the link to upgrade to as I pay a subscription) will not replicate this problem.

The OS requirements for both programs are fairly identical according to the Installation and Upgrade Guides,

2016 says Windows Vista/7/8/10 operating system

2017 says Windows 7/8/10 operating system

Nowhere does it mention that the OS needs to be professional or higher, will do the upgrade shortly and let you know if the issue is resolved.

Photo of Peter Baxter

Peter Baxter

OK have installed the new Reckon 2017, issue remains exactly the same as it always has been.

I am pretty sure these guys are having a huge laugh at all Reckon users as we can never get a problem resolved, I dont know if you work for them or not Kevin but their customer service is a disaster and if I wasnt so familiar with the program i would have ditched it long ago.

By the way after the "update" all of my print preferences are gone again, same as usual, should have know before I printed out all of ther time sheets I now have to do again.

Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 64,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Peter,

Have you gone through and cleaned up your data file and also performed full verify/rebuild as yet?

If so, were any errors encountered?
Photo of Peter Baxter

Peter Baxter

Hi Rav, full verify, no problems detected, full rebuild, cleaned up restarted and issue remains
Photo of Kevin Russell

• 40,770 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Peter I suspect there is a some service running which is hindering the operation. Can you try using Selective startup 

Have a look here: 
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/41804-perform-clean-boot-windows-10-troubleshoot-software-confli...
Photo of Peter Baxter

Peter Baxter

Hi Kevin, ran Accounts with so many things not running it took me 2 hrs to get the computer back to normal again, and still no difference, still "stopped working".

Really cracks me up how computers and software are so amazing and the things they can do nowadays and they still cant self diagnose and say "hey, this program has a problem with that program", we are all still expected to go through this diagnostic process that wastes so much time, very frustrating. That gripe is not confined to Reckon either. Cheers

Photo of Kevin Russell

• 40,770 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I would get Revo uninstaller. Its free from Download.com. Uninstall the program and all the registry entries. Delete the installation directory. Reinstall using the built in Administrator. Run the program as Administrator. If it still wont work, call me 0407744914 Kevin
Photo of dorothy

dorothy

• 614 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Any solution on "Reckon Accounts has stopped working" ? I am going crazy today, it happens every couple of minutes. I have done a verify, rebuild and verify. No error message prompted. Continue to work for a couple of transaction, system prompts "Reckon accounts has stopped working" Done an uninstall of program, restart the PC and install the program again. Same message prompted again and again.
Photo of Peter Baxter

Peter Baxter

Hi Dorothy, functionality limited in so many minor little ways/gripes/annoyances !!!!!, pretty well all of them unresolved. I dont have the time to fix any of them so i just put up with it and pay the subscription again and again. Thanks Kevin for his input but uninstall/reinstall again, ??? serious ?? it gets upgraded each year, why cant an "upgrade" fix minor problems. Usually just removes all my report settings or some other annoyance.
Short answer no, but I still haven't uninstall/reinstall with REVO as per Kevins suggestion. I will likely retire before fixing this and I wont be recommending this software to anyone!
Photo of dorothy

dorothy

Try Anton's suggestion here. But I have changed the compatibility mode as Windows XP (service pack 3). So far, the problem did not come back. Hope it works, I am monitoring it.
Photo of dorothy

dorothy

Thank you, Peter

I have just upgrade to 2017 and the system is slowing down. It got hanged (no responding), need to end task. Quite annoying. Last tried to uninstall 2016, clean the registry (total clean, no Reckon Accounts files), restart my laptop, disable firewall/virus scan then install 2016 again. Its happen again.

Agree with you, so frustrated
Photo of Anton Strauss

Anton Strauss

• 1,230 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
can you both confirm that you empty the Temp folder daily? often 10000s of items end up in there that cause issues with all sorts of software.

right click desktop, click New Shortcut, type %Temp% and click OK

you will now see a Temp folder on desktop, empty it and then empty the recycle bin
Photo of dorothy

dorothy

Thank you, Anton. I tried it again based on your suggestion and have changed the compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3). So far, it does not come back. Hopefully, it working fine.

Thank you so much. Shall revert to you if there is problem again.
Photo of dorothy

dorothy

It works fine...but now.. the problem comes back after 4 weeks.. No perfect solution for Reckon user. Need to consider another software and really loss faith in RECKON
Photo of Mike Machet

Mike Machet

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
You would have thought that by now, with all the complaints, Reckon would have resolved the launcher issue!
Do they not care that customers are so unhappy?
Photo of dorothy

dorothy

It empty
Photo of Mike Machet

Mike Machet

Hi All
Upgraded my computer to Windows 10, latest version & Reckon Accounts Launcher still not working. Frustrating beyond belief - Reckon customer services are of no help.
Any new ideas out there
Photo of Anton Strauss

Anton Strauss

you mean from Win7 or Win8 to Win10?

if so, you may need to uninstall reckon and install it again by choosing run as admin and then also right click the desktop icon, compatibility, tick run as admin
Photo of Mike Machet

Mike Machet

Not sure from which version but it was certainly a complete re-install of Win 10. I did this because of the Reckon issue. I've tried compatibility mode, administrator mode, both with no success.
At my wits end...
Photo of Anton Strauss

Anton Strauss

which version of Reckon do you have?

what is your antivirus anti-malware program? maybe it is blocking Reckon from starting

did you do a clean Win10 installation or was it a repair install where all programs remained?
(Edited)
Photo of Mike Machet

Mike Machet

I use McAfee, updated regularly. Reckon worked perfectly well with McAfee before the Windows update. As far as I am aware I did a complete clean Win10 installation, not a repair but I'm happy to have the difference explained & get your advice about what I should do next.
Thanks for taking the trouble to try hhelp
Photo of Peter Baxter

Peter Baxter

Note ~ now the subscription has increased by another $50 I am sure we will get a much better product
hang on~ now the gov-connect crashes when trying to do a BAS, that must be another improvement, done manually, i will be back to a ledger book like the old days soon
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Peter,
The GovConnect crash issue affecting some users is currently under investigation between ourselves and the ATO. I expect to have further word on this toward the end of next week.
Photo of Peter Baxter

Peter Baxter

Hi Rav, thanks, just a question,  do you actually work for reckon ??
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Peter, I think its pretty evident that I do.
Photo of Peter Baxter

Peter Baxter

Not really that evident, anyway I would like to have the time to commit to find out why this program has so many annoying habits, when I got the renewal the other days and saw that the cost is increasing and i think the performance reducing it got under my skin. when I have time i will see what have found and see how we go, thanks

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.