Reckon Accounts Hosted 2018 R2 - Trail balance/Reports - *overflow* error

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited July 2020 in Accounts Hosted

Trial balance, detailed transaction listing and other reports are displaying an *overflow* message in the "Balance" column of the transaction listing and in the trial balance does not reflect the account at all.

I have followed some earlier advise which suggested that the transaction amount be re-entered; the transaction amount be reduced to half or less to reduce the number of characters and a full stop be entered into the memo field. None of these efforts had any effect. The amount entered is of similar length of earlier amount entered and the "balance" amount has not increase in character length from the last displayed amount which is in the same month.

I have only experience this issue after the upgrade from 2017 to 2018.

Comments

• Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited June 2020
    This sometimes happens when you are zooming in and editing transactions - a simple click of the Refresh button at the top of the report window should fix it?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2018

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately "Refresh" does not refresh. Same error returns.

I have also now note that the "Chart of Accounts" report under 'Lists" reflects the *overflow* error.

• Linda ABC
    edited July 2020
    If you know which transaction is causing this - then I would delete it and reenter it with the exact same details..
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    HI Willem.  In my experience, "refresh" fixed the problem as indicated by Linda, but it is strange if that does no work.  I seem to recall that widening the column might have also fixed it.
    There is another possibility.  How many digits is the number that you are trying to enter?  Perhaps three years or so ago, Hosted could not handle figures of $20M plus.  I know that is no longer a problem and I think that it will handle towards $50M these days.  If your figure is larger than this, this could be the problem.  The only way to cater for this in the past was to split the transaction into two, until the problem was fixed.
    John L G
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2020

Thanks Linda,

Tried the re-entry process to no avail, have split the entry to reduce the number of digits to no avail (prior entries were larger in value), refreshing has now move the error message "back in time" on the accounts detailed listing report to an earlier date - originally against transaction dated 02/07/2018 now reflecting against the entry dated 13/06/2018.

One refresh showed the *overflow* message against a transaction dated 02/07/2018 and then in essence "ignored" that entry and reflected the balance against the next entry date 08/07/2018 by adding that entry to the balance prior to the "*overflow* error. 

From my current experience on trying to resolve this it appears to be a random calculation bug.

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2018

Hi John

Thanks

Tried the re-entry process to no avail, have split the entry to reduce the number of digits to no avail (prior entries were larger in value), refreshing has now move the error message "back in time" on the accounts detailed listing report to an earlier date - originally against transaction dated 02/07/2018 now reflecting against the entry dated 13/06/2018.

One refresh showed the *overflow* message against a transaction dated 02/07/2018 and then in essence "ignored" that entry and reflected the balance against the next entry date 08/07/2018 by adding that entry to the balance prior to the "*overflow* error. 

From my current experience on trying to resolve this it appears to be a random calculation bug.

• Linda ABC
    edited July 2018
    I think without know what the transaction details are that you are trying to enter, we cant help further - give us the details of the calculations etc and we can try in our own systems and see what the problem is and the best way to resolve it...
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2018

The currency is XAF  therefore the amounts are large - had no problem before the 2018 R2 upgrade.

For testing purposes the balance of the asset accounts and corresponding loan account balance is 4,293,511,969.80, which amount is reflected before the error message. The assets in the balance sheet contains a number of line items with the corresponding credit being the loan account. None of the asset accounts are over 999,999,999.99.

The majority of entries are all General Journal entries as this is a subsidiary with limited facilities and all controlled from the head office. The entry where the *overflow* message appeared in the "Balance" column of the "Transactions by Account" report was for a journal entry of 10,500,000.00. But there were entries before this that had larger amounts, so not sure that it is amount driven.

To complicate matters I "amended" an earlier journal entry - effectively accessed the journal entry, made no change and then save the entry. Following this exercise the *overflow* error occurred from entries two line above the "edited" entry.

Thanks for the assistance

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2018

Hi Linda

I have been testing the reason for the overflow error. In our set up once the balance amount on the transaction listing goes beyond 4,294,967,295.99 the *overflow* message appears.

Can this be rectified?

Kind regards

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2018

The limit is 4,294,967,295.99 no solution other than splitting accounts.