Reckon Accounts Personal 2019 Starts the launcher then stops - Win10 1809/1903

• Problem
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
This has been bugging me for a month or more now.

I double-click on either the Reckon Accounts 2019 shortcut or the qw.exe app in the home directory and the Launcher splash screen appears on the desktop for a few seconds then disappears.... and nothing else happens.

I have tried "run as administrator" and this worked for a while earlier this year but hasn't worked for a month.

I de-install the App using Revo and then re-install and it works after putting in the activation code from my account, but the next time I try to use it.... nothing.

I am not going to keep on de-installing/re-installing just to update my accounts.

Please assist!  (note.. I am IT technical so can delve into Registry Keys and other things if necessary).
Photo of Chris Kitchenman

Chris Kitchenman

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • Frustrated!!!

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 86,464 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Chris,
You've done the right thing with the clean uninstall which is probably the first thing the techs recommend.

We've got a few other key areas to check in this Knowledgebase article below -
Dealing with Reckon Accounts Launcher has stopped working problems

In particular, review the file path name/length.

Chris Kitchenman

Thanks Rav,

File is ‪D:\Users\Chris\Documents\Quicken\Kitchenman.QDF, which is 46 characters by my reckoning, so should be fine and hasn't changed from when it worked with no issues.

For updates, it would have stopped working a time after the 1809 (not immediately) and before the 1903 (so it's not that).

For me, the entire "Reckon Launcher" has been hit and miss for some time.  Before this experience it would "hang" and need to be Task Manager closed at odd occasions.

I'm just wishing someone from Reckon would take ownership of their flaky software and not just treat it as "the only software that does the job so suck it up".
Photo of Astro

Astro

• 432 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Couldn't agree more Chris.  I have had similar issues since upgrading this year. 
Photo of David Hunt

David Hunt

• 470 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Chris 
Ludicrous as it sounds in 2019 - your file name needs to be less than 8 characters on your main data file and all other supporting files (5 or 6 of them, varies based on what functions you have used). 

Your file name is 10 characters. I had to change mine from HuntAccnts to HuntAcc to solve all startup issues. Mind you Reckon Au with many calls eventually told me my file was corrupt - it was not, and I found  this solution on the US Quicken sites. This was 2 years ago with version 2018AU. So try exiting, renaming all your files to eg. Ktchnmn.QDF and all other 5 or 6 of them also.

Next year when due I will be swapping to the US version which I have been testing now with free downloadable 2013US version which is freely available and look s 100% better than 2019AU but does require some rework on investment transactions. Reckon has no interest in the personal range anymore and US is only supported because of a management buyout from the passionate personal team and spin off from Quicken who is only interested in Business software now. More on this later.

Chris Kitchenman

Bingo!  Certainly worked like a dream at this point.  I'll start to have a look at the US version as well as I don't need the investment part of the app (the AU version sucks at Superannuation links anyway)

Chris Kitchenman

And...  I've been playing with the US Quicken 2013 Deluxe over the last day (Thanks David!) and it's vastly better than the AU version.  I'm ignoring the register and Unicode requests but it offers a far more "visual" experience.  I'll certainly consider paying for the latest US instead of the steadily increasing cost of AU with absolutely no improvement in product.
Photo of David Hunt

David Hunt

• 470 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi Chris, the US version does have limitations in certain areas eg. only has one Dividend category not 2 like ours (Franked and unfranked) and there are some other steps needed to bring your categories over, and Tax schedules across. I have been going through my historical investment to change DivUF to Div etc but each one take >43 seconds to update then apparently recalculate. I have nearly a thousand to get through in a data file that goes back to 1993! 

You can also get Quicken on the Android/iPhone once the account is online - there are ways to get the app and get around the geo block. Anyway I will progressively update these and migrate next year and document the migration and limitations (eg. US does keep historical FEX rates like AU does only current one for reporting). Note 2019AU is considered a 2004-2009 Datafile from US perspective!! You can contact on my very infrequently monitored sendtohunt@gmail.com if you like.

David

(Edited)

Chris Kitchenman

I noticed the Mobile option, and also the ability to install on multiple devices (!!!!) which has always been a major issue for me as I run a home server and have always wanted to store the data files centrally but access them from anywhere.  Obviously not a common requirement in 2019!

I don't have shares any more so that's not an issue. :-)
(Edited)