Reckon Accounts Personal 2019 Starts the launcher then stops - Win10 1809/1903

Chris Kitchenman
Chris Kitchenman Member Posts: 6
This has been bugging me for a month or more now.

I double-click on either the Reckon Accounts 2019 shortcut or the qw.exe app in the home directory and the Launcher splash screen appears on the desktop for a few seconds then disappears.... and nothing else happens.

I have tried "run as administrator" and this worked for a while earlier this year but hasn't worked for a month.

I de-install the App using Revo and then re-install and it works after putting in the activation code from my account, but the next time I try to use it.... nothing.

I am not going to keep on de-installing/re-installing just to update my accounts.

Please assist!  (note.. I am IT technical so can delve into Registry Keys and other things if necessary).

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited August 2019
    Hi Chris,
    You've done the right thing with the clean uninstall which is probably the first thing the techs recommend.

We've got a few other key areas to check in this Knowledgebase article below -
    Dealing with Reckon Accounts Launcher has stopped working problems

In particular, review the file path name/length.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Chris Kitchenman
    edited August 2019
    Thanks Rav,

File is ?D:\Users\Chris\Documents\Quicken\Kitchenman.QDF, which is 46 characters by my reckoning, so should be fine and hasn't changed from when it worked with no issues.

For updates, it would have stopped working a time after the 1809 (not immediately) and before the 1903 (so it's not that).

For me, the entire "Reckon Launcher" has been hit and miss for some time.  Before this experience it would "hang" and need to be Task Manager closed at odd occasions.

I'm just wishing someone from Reckon would take ownership of their flaky software and not just treat it as "the only software that does the job so suck it up".
  • Astro
    Astro Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2019
    Couldn't agree more Chris.  I have had similar issues since upgrading this year. 
  • Chris Kitchenman
    edited August 2019
    Bingo!  Certainly worked like a dream at this point.  I'll start to have a look at the US version as well as I don't need the investment part of the app (the AU version sucks at Superannuation links anyway)
  • Chris Kitchenman
    edited August 2019
    And...  I've been playing with the US Quicken 2013 Deluxe over the last day (Thanks David!) and it's vastly better than the AU version.  I'm ignoring the register and Unicode requests but it offers a far more "visual" experience.  I'll certainly consider paying for the latest US instead of the steadily increasing cost of AU with absolutely no improvement in product.
  • Chris Kitchenman
    edited August 2019
    I noticed the Mobile option, and also the ability to install on multiple devices (!!!!) which has always been a major issue for me as I run a home server and have always wanted to store the data files centrally but access them from anywhere.  Obviously not a common requirement in 2019!

I don't have shares any more so that's not an issue. :-)
  • Ken_9671124
    Ken_9671124 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2019
    Reviewed this conversation with interest. My launcher became hit and miss, but after the last Win 10 update the program just wouldn't launch. Uninstalled, reinstalled will work once then not. My file is 8 characters long. Shame but after 17 years appears I'm going to have to give up on Reckon. Is it possible and not too difficult to migrate the data file to the US Quicken program?