Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2015 on a Mac?

Mantorok
Mantorok Member Posts: 3

I want to buy a Mac to replace my aging Windows PC.  How well does Personal Plus work with VMWare or Parallels (or even BootCamp)?  Anything I should be aware of?  What was the experience of others?

Regards,

Mantorok

Comments

• Neil Belknap_7519848
    Neil Belknap_7519848 Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2015
    Don't have MAC platform
  • Mantorok
    edited May 2015

Thanks Neil but I was referring to running Personal Plus on a Windows Virtual Machine which is running on a Mac (not running directly on the Mac OSX).  VMWare and Parallels are the software that provide a Windows virtual environment on the Mac.

BootCamp (from my understanding) allows you to boot a Mac in either OSX or Windows mode.

Would any or all of these allow Personal Plus to work on a Mac?

• Neil Belknap_7519848
    Neil Belknap_7519848 Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2015
    I am somewhat a neophyte on computers and programs. Wish I could help, but am afraid I  can't assist  Good Luck
  • Alex Reid
    Alex Reid Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2015
    Good luck Mantorok with your plan. I really don't like your chances. A lot of us even have trouble using PP on Win 8.1. Regards Alex
  • Mirko
    Mirko Alumni Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Hey Mantorok, I've located a couple threads from users who are using a Virtual Machine set up on OSX. If you are looking from feedback from those using that particular set up, it could be an idea to post in those threads - they may respond to your query.

Here's a few

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/quicken-2012
    https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/i-have-recently-bought-a-mac-and-would-like-to-run-quicke...
    https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/problem_install_personal_plus_on_parallel
    https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/quicken_personal_plus_2007_on_mac

• Datarec_ReckonLtd
    Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,039 Reckon Staff
    edited July 2019
    Hi Mantorok,

Since Boot Camp entails installing a Windows operating system on the Mac hardware, that would most likely give you the best result (compared to running natively on a PC running Windows).

If using Parallels or VMware Fusion, then a Windows 7 installation within those environments would likely give you less problems than having a Windows 8.1 installation.

If you're still encountering a problem, then making use of the 'Windows XP mode' feature of Windows 7 (also unofficially an option under Windows 8.x) could be used.

You will however end up with an Apple Mac hardware with OSX with say Parallels running a Windows 7 operating system AND within that a virtualised Windows XP. 

* Data Recovery Team *
    Make sure you keep performing your backups regularly.
  • Graham Boast
    Graham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 331 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2017
    Hi Mantorok

I have a client running Personal under Parallels with Win7.  Runs fine.

Graham

Graham Boast | 0409 317366 | graham@reckonhelp.com.au

• Sandra_7045342
    Sandra_7045342 Member Posts: 32
    edited June 2015
    Thanks Graham I too am buying a mac and was worried I would have to switch to MYOB & relearn everything again.
    Thanks 
    Sandra
  • Nic_7614963
    Nic_7614963 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I was wondering if many people use Reckon Accounts on a Mac. Was thinking of cha....
  • gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 802 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2016
    Nic

3 points on your question

1. Reckon Accounts is the name of the 25+ year old product formerly known as Quickbooks.     That latter name is now used by the USA based Intuit firm.

2.  Reckon Accounts on a desktop,  requires a Windows environment.  But if you are talking multiple users, and you have the main Reckon Accounts Desktop running on a windows server,  then a MAC could access that using RDP-for-MAC.    

**But
    you may be only considering a single-user product that you want to run entirely on the MAC,  so this is not for you , in that case.

3.  There is Reckon Accounts HOSTED which is effectively the top of the line Enterprise product,  but runs on an Amazon Data Centre  referred to as RA "HOSTED".  That product only needs a BROWSER  and this is an ideal solution if that RA product suits your needs for accounting, AND you desire a MAC.

re:
    https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/i-was-wondering-if-many-people-use-reckon-accounts-on-a-m...

Full details are available at the link below, and on our 'solutions' website

Gary Pope
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant  (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-accounts-clarified/
    "Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
          independent IT Professional
    and retired FCPA Accountant"
  • Mantorok
    edited June 2015

Just thought I'd give those interested an update.  I finally got myself a new iMac and decided on VMWare Fusion and Windows 7 Professional.

Installation of Personal Plus 2015 was straightforward and my files opened up ok.  In fact I feel it runs smoother on the iMac than it did on my HP laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium.  The files open much quicker and I don't have to run PP as an adminstrator and get those annoying pop ups each time I launch it.

• Dean_7818076
    Dean_7818076 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2017
    Hello, I run Reckon Personal Plus 2013 via Mac on VMware Fusion running Windows XP, have done so for maybe 8 years no issues at all. 2015 version of Person Plus is only suitable for Windows 7 so not sure what next as hard to buy Win7. Dean
  • gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 802 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2016
    Dean.  You may have to consider MAC with Parallels with WIN10 (if WIn7 Pro not available) and deal with the Win10 nuances.

Gary
  • Reckon FAQs
    Reckon FAQs Reckon Staff Posts: 357 Reckon Staff
    edited March 2017
    Hi Dean,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

2015 is suitable for Windows 7 and 8.  It will run on Windows 10 with the tweak of setting the launch icon to Run As Administrator.  The 2016 version will be fully compatible with Windows 10.

We did not test 2015 on Windows XP because by then Windows XP was no longer available.  2015 will probably run on it - there may be some inconsistent behaviours, so why not download a trial and test it out?  Just be mindul that you cannot have two installations of Reckon Accounts Personal on the one PC.

Hope this helps.

regards,
    John