Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2016 no longer downloading currency rates

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Currency rates used to be downloaded until the 2016 upgrade.  PC is WIN10.   The currency rates used to download each day along with quotes, but now the currency status line is no longer present.

Choosing Tools / Currency List / Update Rates also fails to update rates.

Photo of Michael

Michael

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • disappointed

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Ross Aitken

Ross Aitken

• 300 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

I did a foreign currency transaction this morning, thought the exchange rate that came up looked a bit out but didn't think anything about it until I read Michael's post.

I have just checked the historical rates in my exchange rates list and I find my latest rates are for the 25/11. They have not updated since. Tried Tools/Currency List/ Update rates also but no success.

I am using PP2016 on windows 8.1 but I only upgraded to PP2016 on the 2/12 (yesterday)

Problem may not be PP2016

Photo of David Clayton

David Clayton

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have similar problem.  Last update for all currencies was 23/11/2015.  This is the date on which I updated to PP2016.
Michael

I concur.

I've done a test on PP2015  under WIN7Pro64-bit
and on PP2016 under WIN10pro64-bit.

BOTH these, tonight, 21:00PM 3/12/15  fail to change the US exchange rate from the last value of 0.70067

Yes, stocks like RKN and TLS all change OK, but not the exchange rates.  But note the older operating systems and the vannual versions of PP both failing.

I wonder if this is some 'break' since the whenever the exchange rate was last 'fetched' as 0.70067,   According to this chart, that may have been back on Sep 29 2015.

Perhaps this comparison will alert the DEV team to investigate

Gary

(Edited)
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 84,560 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi everyone,

Sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

I've escalated this to our Development team to investigate this morning and I'll keep the thread updated upon hearing back.

Thanks,
Rav
Allan - yes, as seen in the above PP2015/WIn7 test.

Gary
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi everyone,
This issue is still under investigation by our Development team at this stage. I'll update the thread once a timeframe on resolution is determined.

Once again, sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks
Rav
Photo of Paul Haworth

Paul Haworth

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rav,

Any update its been over a month

Paul
Paul ... see the end of this forum.....
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi everyone,

Just an update on this, I've received word that foreign currency downloads will be back up and running as of mid-January.

I'll have more info to share as we get closer to the time.

Thank you for your patience everyone.

Cheers
Rav
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

• 3,952 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
It would be a useful extension to security detail view to be able to chart currencies, as with share prices. ( or is it already possible but I don't know how?)
Paul

This currency update issue is being addressed by John G's  replay at this sideline forum topic covering the same matter:
https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/one-step-update-refuses-to-work?utm_source=notification&a...

Gary
Photo of Anton

Anton

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
As of 16 January 2016, currency updates are still not working.

Any estimate as to when the problem might be resolved?
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 78,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Anton,
Apologies for my delay in getting back to you.

The fix is not too far away. Final testing was being conducted and unfortunately an issue became apparent yesterday which prevented deployment.

The team are still working on this however, and I'll keep you updated.

Cheers
Rav 
Photo of David Clayton

David Clayton

Rav, I've just found that not only is PP 2016 not downloading currency updates it is not showing the latest exchange rate in the currency list.  I have been updating USD rates manually since installing PP 2016 including several for January.  The currency list is still showing rates for 24th and 25th December.  David Clayton
Photo of Albert

Albert

• 404 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Guys @ Reckon - it is now 25 Jan and currency rates are still not downloading. I operate about 15 currencies actively and manual input is somewhat tedious. I am using PP2015 at the moment, but have purchased PP 2016 - I have just not loaded it yet as all the problems other users in the forum seem to have faced makes it all a bit intimidating......
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Now nearly mid February. Has anyone identified that currency rates are updating correctly ?
Photo of David Clayton

David Clayton

Still not working.  Just tried it and get a message that it updated 4 items but can't find which ones.  Worse still is that the currency list is not showing the latest exchange rates that I entered manually.  It's showing a USD rate that I put in on 24th December even though I've entered several since then.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi folks.

The fix to this issue has been identified and tested successfully. The next phase is for it to be pushed into production and deployed. This is the current status of where it's sitting so hopefully it shouldn't be too much longer.

I can't specify any timeframes at this point, however once I have any more information I will share it with the thread.

As always, appreciate your patience and sincerely apologise for the frustration and inconvenience this is causing.

Thanks
Rav
Photo of tim.davis.aus

tim.davis.aus

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have to say I have been watching this thread with some amusement as something similar (or possibly it was exactly the same) occurred in the 2015 release.

What concerns me is that for an organization the size of Reckon when they released 2016, they might just considered conducted adequate testing to ensure historical issues such as the inability to update currency rates, a marketed feature of the package, would have been reoccurred.  It concerns me that this clear breach of good faith on the part of Reckon that thus far appears to be unrecognized by the vendor; that the vendor appears to view this as a simple annoyance; and, for many, that may actually be the case; for other, not so much.

The contractual obligation on the part of Reckon for what has been directly stated (not implied) is clear. Yes, we can each go in as individuals and 'edit' the rates using an alternative or even the same source(s) for the rates that our software claims it uses but that doesn't diminish the responsibility on the part of Reckon to meet it's contractual obligations each time it collects what is now an annual license fee for the use of a product that doesn't do exactly with it claims.

Ok, I've finally had my gripe ... now, could somebody at Reckon please fix this and and be clear about when and by what means that will be done? Some of us actually do depend on the currency rate features of the package and we would like to get what we are, in fact, paying for.

Cheers

Tim
(Edited)
Photo of Dima

Dima

• 250 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rav,
I hope the "fix" will also fix the problem I encountered today when I clicked to update all share prices in RAPP2016 which I installed a week ago onto my new Windows 10, 64 bit computer. It brought up the following error:

After restarting RA I tried again and got the same message but on this occasion the Error Code was 7107.

Do yoy have any advice on how to avoid this happening?

I attempted to log in using the Internet Explorer to make this comment but after entering my email and password I got no indication that I was logged in. When I pressed the Submit button I was asked to log in.
On your advice I used Chrome and was able to send this message.

Dima
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi Dima,
Was good to have a chat with you yesterday and sorry that you had some login troubles with the Community.

I've had a chat with a colleague and there are a few scenarios/options to go over in relation to the issue you've raised.

Can you please try updating ONLY the share prices (untick the 'Download currency exchange rates' option) and let me know if you receive the same error?

How large is your data file? Could you please validate and super validate your company file and try again to see if the error persists.

Another option is to create a new file and buy two or three shares for a date in the past eg. a month ago, and then update the share price ONLY (untick the 'Download currency exchange rates' option as above)

Finally, start the program in Windows 10 Safe Mode and try updating the share prices - http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=5349

Let me know how get on

Cheers
Rav
Photo of Tony S

Tony S

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rav,

What's the latest on this please? Any date for the fix to be rolled out yet?
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi Tony,
This deployment has been delayed due to a critical issue with Reckon Accounts Hosted at the moment which the IT team need to focus on in the immediate term.

I know that's not very helpful in regard to this matter however and I apologise.

I will be in touch with the team at the resolution of the RAH issue for a further update and will let you know then.

Thanks
Rav
Photo of Dima

Dima

• 250 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rav,
Before replying to your suggestions I should like to say that on three occasions I got that error message I did send a Report and hopefully I assume correctly, your technical people would have access to them:

The ID's of the Reports are: 181663846, 181558441, 181557986.

Since I am not interested in currency exchange I have always selected only share prices:

Data file size is:

After validating and super validating I got the following pleasing result:

Regarding the problem that I could not log in into this Community using the IE in Windows 10 64 bit, although I could when I was using the IE with Windows 8.1 32 bit, I should like to say that I had no trouble using Microsoft Edge.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dima
(Edited)
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Now nearly mid March !! Has anyone identified that currency rates are updating correctly ?
Photo of Anton

Anton

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I have tested the currency download today and it is still not working.
Photo of Margaret Kotcharian

Margaret Kotcharian

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have tested the currency download today 20th April and it is still not working. I am running Personal Plus 2016 on Windows 7.  The currency update has not worked since 25 November 2015.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi everyone,
I am very happy to report that I have received confirmation of the currency download fix being deployed and is now working.

Please update your currencies when you have a chance and let me know if you encounter any further issues.

Thank you all for your patience.

Cheers
Rav
Photo of Paul Haworth

Paul Haworth

Hi Rav,

My currencies are not updating. Can you advise?

Paul
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hey Paul,
Sorry to hear you're still having issues with your currency download.

Are you using Personal Plus 2016? Can you let me know your operating system please?

Could you please try exiting your file in full (File > Exit), restart and then try downloading only the currency rates ie. untick the stock download option.

Let me know how you get on,

Cheers
Rav
Photo of Paul Haworth

Paul Haworth

Hi Rav,

Thank you for your reply.

I have Personal Plus 2015 running on XP 2002.

I tried what you suggested to no avail.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Paul
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Thanks for trying Paul,

Please try the following -

Open the Currency List from Tools > Currency List. Select 'Update Rates' in the top right corner. Do your rates update from this method?

If not, then let's eliminate any potential conflicts from other programs or processes.

Start your Windows XP in Safe Mode, (INFO - http://bit.ly/1sPAM2z

Open Personal Plus 2015 and attempt to update your currency rates in this mode.

Let me know how you get on

Cheers
Rav
Photo of David H

David H

This issue is marked Solved, but I've just tested currency download and it's not working for me.

Is it working for others?
Photo of David H

David H

Gary,

Good news re US stock prices. As for others, the new qwutil.dll fixes the US stock price for me.

But it doesn't fix the currency download.

2009? No, I've been using Quicken/Reckon for 20 years :-)

quicken.ini creation date is 14 Nov 2005. Modified date is today, i.e. it's always the same as the most recent start time of Reckon, or later.

I have the line
CurrencyRateDownload=http://www.intuit.de/currency/data_de.txt
in quicken.ini.

I believe it's been ignoring that line ever since it started using CurrencyRateDownload2005 instead. It certainly took no notice of it when it was going to http://redirect.reckon.com.au/reckonaccounts_2013_au/currencydownloading.

Sorry I didn't get back to you with the ip details. The file it is downloading is currency.txt from the Amazon site you quoted and the full URI is
https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/rkn-currency-update-prod/currency.txt?&__hstc=159810082....

Rav, how about the developers look into this issue and see if they can solve it?

David
David H (only).   

Can you do a CURRENCY LIST screen, and do a single Currency UPDATE only, by itself?

I don;t think you and I finally confirmed whether we have identical and single INI files in the end, we only compared a couple of lines.  Perhaps more to look at there.

Gary
Photo of David H

David H

Gary,

Yes, I've done the tests using only the single currency update from the Currency List.

Like you, I have two quicken.ini files, plus one other for QuickenConverter.

Please let me know how you'd like to compare the files.

regards - David
Photo of David H

David H

Gary,

Yes, I've done the tests using only the single currency update from the Currency List.

Like you, I have two quicken.ini files, plus one other for QuickenConverter.

Please let me know how you'd like to compare the files.

regards - David
David H

Let me email them to you from gaz@alchester.com.au  so get in touch to do so please.

Gary
(Edited)
Photo of David H

David H

REALLY SOLVED (I hope)

There is a simple solution to the currency update problem in PP2016 and PP2015 that worked for me. I'd appreciate it if other community members with the update problem could test it out and confirm it works. For the rest of this post I refer only to PP2016. That's what I tested it on. It should work equally well for PP2015 and, I expect, for other versions.

Please reply below to let me know if it works. Gary Pope was extremely helpful in a number of areas with this problem and he and I would both like to know that the solution actually works.

The short version of the instructions below is for those who know exactly what to do and need just a pointer. The longer version gives more detailed instructions. The Why ...? section is a brief explanation of the reason I think this happened. 

Short version: enable TLS 1.0 and later in Internet Explorer Tools > Internet Options Advanced tab in the Security section. After that, attempt to update currencies in PP2016 and check that they have updated.

Longer version
Start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Internet Options from the menu or the "cog" at the top right.
Click on the Advanced tab and scroll down to the Security section, then scroll further until you see the option Use SSL 2.0. This is what Internet Explorer 8 options looked like before I changed them:

I ticked the Use TLS 1.0 option and that is all I needed to do to get the currency download working. I also unticked the Use SSL 2.0 option because it's a dated protocol with security flaws and is little-used now. If you see Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.2, tick them as well. You shouldn't need to do that to get the currency download working and I haven't tested it because Internet Explorer 8 doesn't support those newer protocols. Still, you ought to use them if a web server supports them.

This is what my options looked like after the change:

When you've made the changes, click OK. You shouldn't need to restart Internet Explorer or PP2016. Attempt to update currencies in PP2016 from Tools > Currency List by clicking on the Update Rates button and selecting only Download currency exchange rates. Check that the rates have updated by clicking on the Historical Rates button. This is what mine looked like after a test late Saturday night and updating today:

Why do you need to make this change?
I suspect that the root cause is that on 25 Nov 2015, the Reckon currency download was either moved to a web server that does not support SSL 2.0, or the web server on which the currency download file is hosted stopped using SSL 2.0. This affected PP2016 in a way not at all obvious to all.

Reckon PP2016 (and earlier versions going way back) use Internet Explorer under the covers. When you do a currency or share price update, PP2016 accesses a URL on a server and (I believe) it does this using Internet Explorer library functions.

The encryption protocols Internet Explorer uses by default depend on the version. I use Internet Explorer 8 on my old WinXP Pro system (on a virtual machine) that has PP2016 installed. PP2016 is all I use Windows for, so I've not bothered updating. When IE8 was released SSL 2.0 was common across web servers and TLS 1.0 was not widely used. The defaults were set that way to not use TLS.

Later versions of Internet Explorer use TLS. If you have a later version, then you probably didn't experience the currency download issue unless you had disabled TLS 1.x.

I hope this works for everyone.

regards - David

Margaret Kotcharian

I am running Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 PP2016. I followed your instructions, but found it was already set as per your advice ie TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 ticked.  I still cannot download currency rates. My last successful download was 25/11/15.

Margaret

Margaret - what about the other matter happening presently, where you need to upgrade the qwutil.dll file - have you done that already?
 See RAV's instructions three week's ago  at:

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/why-have-us-share-prices-stopped-updating-on-personal-plu...

which I repeat here:
---------------------------------------

Hi everyone,

As I've mentioned previously, the Development team have been continuing work regarding this issue and have formulated a potential solution which bypasses the need for a code change.

Can I please ask that you follow the steps outlined below -

Steps to fix the issue: -

1) Close Reckon Accounts Personal

2) Download http://downloads.reckon.com.au/qwutil.dll

3) Copy the above file into your Reckon Personal 2015 or 2016 installation folder (by default this would be C:\\Program Files\Reckon Accounts Personal)

4) When you get the message saying qwutil.dll already exists. Do you want to replace it?' select 'Yes'

5) Once the file has been saved, open Reckon Accounts Personal and you will be able to download US Share Prices.

------------------------------------------

Cheers

Gary

Margaret Kotcharian

Yes I have completed this download.  It did fix the problem with the Update Summary - that now works again - however has had no effect on currency update which still does not work.
Margaret (only).   

Can you do a CURRENCY LIST screen, and do a single Currency UPDATE only, by itself?      

Gary

Margaret Kotcharian

When I do a single currency update from the currency list screen, it does not update any currencies at all, only the share prices, even though I changed the settings to currency updates and un-ticked stock updates.
Margaret

At this point, I feel you may need to look at his more from an IT Support viewpoint, looking at things like windows firewall, or other anti-malware firewall/blocking settings that may exist on your machine.   It  seems we;re collectively explored most of the sideline tricks to force the request for 'just' currency updates to occur, and they are not forthcoming from the 'SERVICE'.    Let us know what brands of anti-malware (virus, spyware, adware, etc etc) that you have running on your machine,  and have an IT person carefully explore retesting your currency updates with such tools momentarily disabled (not for long - say 5 minutes) to avoid other protection issues occurring - to isolate anything like THAT being the possible reason here.

Gary
Photo of David H

David H

Gary,

I checked the currency download with the updated qwutil.dll and with the old qwutil.dll and it worked with both after the TLS update I made.

Margaret, what happens if you open the link http://redirect.reckon.com.au/reckonaccounts_2013_au/currencydownloading in Internet Explorer? Do you see a dialog Opening currency.txt asking you to save the file or open it with a program? I see this:

If I click Open with Notepad, Notepad opens with a file for which the first few lines are:

Reckon Accounts Currency Update File As At 08:00PM on July 14, 2016 (UTC) - Base Currency GBP
""
"DZD", "0.00679381"
"NAD", "0.05255289"
"GHS", "0.18972914"
"EGP", "0.08442761"
"BGN", "0.42617730"

If you see that, then your browser is able to download the file. Mine couldn't until I made the TLS changes.

If you can't see that, then it's possible that you have another problem, for example a firewall issue. If you have access to another computer at the same site, try opening that same link on the other computer, too.

regards - David
(Edited)

Margaret Kotcharian

I tried this and the file opened with the files as above, so I guess my browser is able to download the file.
Photo of David H

David H

Margaret,

Could you please exit PP2016 and locate your QUICKEN.INI file?

You will probably have at least two QUICKEN.INI files. One will be in C:\windows; you don't want that file. If you're running Windows7, the file you want will probably be in C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken.

Make a copy of that file.

Open QUICKEN.INI in Notepad and search for the section starting with
[Internet]

In that section, do you have a line starting with CurrencyRateDownload2005 that might look like this:
CurrencyRateDownload2005=http://ps.intuitcanada.com/quickbooks/cratedownload/index.php?c=GBP

If you do, delete just that line, save the file, restart PP2016 and then try the currency download again.

regards - David
(Edited)

Margaret Kotcharian

I have just installed the 2017 upgrade and the currency updates still do not load.  I tried your suggestion above, but it stopped all updates including share prices, so had to revert to original which then allowed share price updates, but still no currency.
Photo of John G

John G, Information Support Analyst

• 27,510 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Margaret,

Try these steps:
  1. Go to Tools > Currency List
  2. In the Home column, make sure the tick is on Australian Dollar
  3. Click on Update Rates
Have the exchange rates updated?

regards,
John.

Margaret Kotcharian

Hi John,

No the exchange rates still do not update. I have not been able to update them since November 2015 when the original problem occurred.

Photo of John G

John G, Information Support Analyst

• 27,510 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Thanks Margaret,

Please do a test.
Create a new datafile and update the currency.  Does it work?

regards,
John.

Margaret Kotcharian

Have done this test and it did not work.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.