Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2016 no longer downloading currency rates

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Currency rates used to be downloaded until the 2016 upgrade.  PC is WIN10.   The currency rates used to download each day along with quotes, but now the currency status line is no longer present.

Choosing Tools / Currency List / Update Rates also fails to update rates.

Photo of Michael

Michael

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • disappointed

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of John G

John G, Information Support Analyst

• 27,510 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Margaret,  

How does the latest attempt to update the currency list compare to mine:

(these rates update at 9pm daily)

regards,
John
Margaret/John.

Have we got the SPECs of Margaret's operating system and anti virus and firewall status.   The tips in this article from 5 months ago and 6 months ago were never supplied by Margaret.  Also,  we had that one other incidence of 'Chris' storing data files in a privileged program area that created mischief - but we need to know the O/S.

Gary
Photo of Margaret Kotcharian

Margaret Kotcharian

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

I am using Windows 7, PP 2017, Internet Explorer 11.  Antivirus program is Trend Micro Maximum Security 2017.

Regarding John's currency list, mine has not updated since November 2015, no matter what I do.

Photo of John G

Thanks Margaret,

Few more things to try....

Disable Trend Micro - does the Currency List Update?
Turn Trend Micro back on.

If Updated, then the problem is Trend Micro blocking Reckon Accounts.  Make Reckon Accounts (qw.exe) an exception in Trend Micro.

If not, turn off your firewall and do the same test.
Turn your firewall back on. 

If Currency List does not update, open the Sample file - File > Open Sample File
Tools > Currency List - check the value of a currency: eg AUD 0.70067
click on Update Rates and download currencies only.  
Has the currency value changed? eg: 0.74558 (latest value)
Do you have the line: "Currency exchange rates last updated on (today's date and time)"?

If the Sample file test was successful, create a backup (*.rkn) of your datafile and restore it to the Sample file directory:  C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Sample\
Open it from the Sample file directory and run One Step Update - did the currency list update?

If it did, then there is a permission issue with the directory your datafile is stored.  

If the currency list still does not update then clean uninstall and re-install your Reckon Accounts.  A full guide is available here.

regards,
John
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

• 3,952 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

John,

What about remote log-in ?

Or don't we have any suitable diagnostics to check ?

Margaret Kotcharian

Have tried all the above, none of which worked.  Looked at the clean uninstall, but not confident enough to tackle that.  Thanks anyway, I will just live without currency exchange updates which are not as important to me as the stock/share updates which do work.  It is just a pity that after so many years (20 yrs) of using Quicken/Reckon with no problems, I now have this issue which commenced in November 2015.
Margaret - would you like to chat to me about this - I can call back from 0408994799 (VIC)

Margaret Kotcharian

Thanks Gary. My phone number is 07-55304638.
John:

Margaret is running Win7HOME,   and over the phone we double checked a lot of things.   Ensured that all US and AUST stocks were in fact totally turned OFF, and just the exchange rates are being sought.

And for Margaret, using PP2017 (after an uninstall of 2016, installl 2017)  she still has a qwutil of 3532KB of July 2016 generation.

She's seeing this issue on the SAMPLE file, in the sample file location, and with Trend Data AV off or on.  She assures me there is no other software that may be causing a DNS blocking.    

JOHN:
What would be useful here,  is to know the FQDN of the 'URL link' that is used either directly from the qw.exe or some dll thereof,  or via the server at Reckon (if double-hopped via Reckon) to ensure that URL can be pinged.   OR: if you or the dev team can assure us all, that the SOURCE of the exchange rate information comes from purely the link between the local EXE program on the user's laptop, and some SERVER that needs to be reached with Reckon Sydney.  If so, what is that URL, so we can suggest a traceroute or do a wireshark investigation into whether Margaret's laptop can actually traverse data to/from that source, and if not, why not.

Gary
Photo of Paul Haworth

Paul Haworth

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I had this problem which was eventually solved by upgrading to Windows 10. 
Photo of John G

Hello Margaret, Gary.

Many thanks for your assistance Gary.

We are not getting any reports "beyond the normal" of currency update failures, so we must continue on the basis that the problem is local rather than system.

Next test is to switch the PC to Safe Mode with Networking.  
If it updates then you need to look at Firewall, Antivirus, other security systems.

If not, first check any blocking on the Router and if that was nt the issue, do a clean un-install and re-install of Reckon Accounts.  Here's a guide.

You'll find the FQDNs used in downloads in the quicken.ini file in C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config.

Good luck in getting Margaret back on track.  

regards,
John
Photo of John G

Hi Margaret, Gary,

Don't know if it is relevant in your environment....

regards,

John
Photo of David H

David H

• 300 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
FWIW, the URI Reckon actually uses for currency download is
http://redirect.reckon.com.au/reckonaccounts_2013_au/currencydownloading

which redirects to 
https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/rkn-currency-update-prod/currency.txt

Clicking on either link in Internet Explorer should download the file currency.txt. It will contain the latest currency rates relative to GBP. Reckon uses the first link, so try that.

If you can download that file, then you should be able to update currencies. It probably means that you need to comment out URI in quicken.ini.

AFAIK, Quicken/Reckon hasn't used the CurrencyRateDownload configuration item since introducing the CurrencyRateDownload2005 configuration item.

If you can download currency.txt by clicking on the first link above, comment out the CurrencyRateDownload2005 and CurrencyRateDownload items in quicken.ini and try the currency update again.

If you can't download currency.txt in Internet Explorer, try it in Firefox or Chrome. If you can download it in either of the latter, then you might have a problem with SSL vs TLS configuration. See my post in this topic from about 6 months ago for guidance re that.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.