Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2016 no longer downloading currency rates

Michael_7909141
Michael_7909141 Member Posts: 5

Currency rates used to be downloaded until the 2016 upgrade.  PC is WIN10.   The currency rates used to download each day along with quotes, but now the currency status line is no longer present.

Choosing Tools / Currency List / Update Rates also fails to update rates.

image?

Comments

• Ross_Aitken
    Ross_Aitken Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited August 2016

I did a foreign currency transaction this morning, thought the exchange rate that came up looked a bit out but didn't think anything about it until I read Michael's post.

I have just checked the historical rates in my exchange rates list and I find my latest rates are for the 25/11. They have not updated since. Tried Tools/Currency List/ Update rates also but no success.

I am using PP2016 on windows 8.1 but I only upgraded to PP2016 on the 2/12 (yesterday)

Problem may not be PP2016

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 802 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017
    Michael

I concur.

I've done a test on PP2015  under WIN7Pro64-bit
    and on PP2016 under WIN10pro64-bit.

BOTH these, tonight, 21:00PM 3/12/15  fail to change the US exchange rate from the last value of 0.70067

Yes, stocks like RKN and TLS all change OK, but not the exchange rates.  But note the older operating systems and the vannual versions of PP both failing.

I wonder if this is some 'break' since the whenever the exchange rate was last 'fetched' as 0.70067,   According to this chart, that may have been back on Sep 29 2015.

Perhaps this comparison will alert the DEV team to investigate

Gary

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited February 2017
    Hi everyone,

Sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

I've escalated this to our Development team to investigate this morning and I'll keep the thread updated upon hearing back.

Thanks,
    Rav

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Allan Smith_7910522
    Allan Smith_7910522 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2015
    Rav - The currency rates haven't been updating in the 2015 version of this product for the past month either.
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Allan - yes, as seen in the above PP2015/WIn7 test.

Gary
  • John Campbell
    John Campbell Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    It would be a useful extension to security detail view to be able to chart currencies, as with share prices. ( or is it already possible but I don't know how?)
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited December 2016
    Hi everyone,
    This issue is still under investigation by our Development team at this stage. I'll update the thread once a timeframe on resolution is determined.

Once again, sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks
    Rav

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• David Clayton
    David Clayton Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2016
    I have similar problem.  Last update for all currencies was 23/11/2015.  This is the date on which I updated to PP2016.
  • Paul Haworth
    Paul Haworth Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2015
    Hi Rav,

Any update its been over a month

Paul
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Paul ... see the end of this forum.....
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Paul

This currency update issue is being addressed by John G's  replay at this sideline forum topic covering the same matter:
    https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/one-step-update-refuses-to-work?utm_source=notification&a...

Gary
  • Rav
    edited December 2016
    Hi everyone,

Just an update on this, I've received word that foreign currency downloads will be back up and running as of mid-January.

I'll have more info to share as we get closer to the time.

Thank you for your patience everyone.

Cheers
    Rav

• Anton
    Anton Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2017
    As of 16 January 2016, currency updates are still not working.

Any estimate as to when the problem might be resolved?
  • Rav
    edited December 2016
    Hi Anton,
    Apologies for my delay in getting back to you.

The fix is not too far away. Final testing was being conducted and unfortunately an issue became apparent yesterday which prevented deployment.

The team are still working on this however, and I'll keep you updated.

Cheers
    Rav 

• David Clayton
    edited August 2016
    Rav, I've just found that not only is PP 2016 not downloading currency updates it is not showing the latest exchange rate in the currency list.  I have been updating USD rates manually since installing PP 2016 including several for January.  The currency list is still showing rates for 24th and 25th December.  David Clayton
  • John Campbell
    edited February 2017
    Now nearly mid February. Has anyone identified that currency rates are updating correctly ?
  • David Clayton
    edited August 2016
    Still not working.  Just tried it and get a message that it updated 4 items but can't find which ones.  Worse still is that the currency list is not showing the latest exchange rates that I entered manually.  It's showing a USD rate that I put in on 24th December even though I've entered several since then.
  • Rav
    edited February 2017
    Hi folks.

The fix to this issue has been identified and tested successfully. The next phase is for it to be pushed into production and deployed. This is the current status of where it's sitting so hopefully it shouldn't be too much longer.

I can't specify any timeframes at this point, however once I have any more information I will share it with the thread.

As always, appreciate your patience and sincerely apologise for the frustration and inconvenience this is causing.

Thanks
    Rav

• tim.davis.aus
    tim.davis.aus Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2016
    I have to say I have been watching this thread with some amusement as something similar (or possibly it was exactly the same) occurred in the 2015 release.

What concerns me is that for an organization the size of Reckon when they released 2016, they might just considered conducted adequate testing to ensure historical issues such as the inability to update currency rates, a marketed feature of the package, would have been reoccurred.  It concerns me that this clear breach of good faith on the part of Reckon that thus far appears to be unrecognized by the vendor; that the vendor appears to view this as a simple annoyance; and, for many, that may actually be the case; for other, not so much.

The contractual obligation on the part of Reckon for what has been directly stated (not implied) is clear. Yes, we can each go in as individuals and 'edit' the rates using an alternative or even the same source(s) for the rates that our software claims it uses but that doesn't diminish the responsibility on the part of Reckon to meet it's contractual obligations each time it collects what is now an annual license fee for the use of a product that doesn't do exactly with it claims.

Ok, I've finally had my gripe ... now, could somebody at Reckon please fix this and and be clear about when and by what means that will be done? Some of us actually do depend on the currency rate features of the package and we would like to get what we are, in fact, paying for.

Cheers

Tim
  • Dima
    Dima Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2016
    Hi Rav,
    I hope the "fix" will also fix the problem I encountered today when I clicked to update all share prices in RAPP2016 which I installed a week ago onto my new Windows 10, 64 bit computer. It brought up the following error:

After restarting RA I tried again and got the same message but on this occasion the Error Code was 7107.

Do yoy have any advice on how to avoid this happening?

I attempted to log in using the Internet Explorer to make this comment but after entering my email and password I got no indication that I was logged in. When I pressed the Submit button I was asked to log in.
    On your advice I used Chrome and was able to send this message.

Dima

• Rav
    edited December 2016
    Hi Dima,
    Was good to have a chat with you yesterday and sorry that you had some login troubles with the Community.

I've had a chat with a colleague and there are a few scenarios/options to go over in relation to the issue you've raised.

Can you please try updating ONLY the share prices (untick the 'Download currency exchange rates' option) and let me know if you receive the same error?

How large is your data file? Could you please validate and super validate your company file and try again to see if the error persists.

Another option is to create a new file and buy two or three shares for a date in the past eg. a month ago, and then update the share price ONLY (untick the 'Download currency exchange rates' option as above)

Finally, start the program in Windows 10 Safe Mode and try updating the share prices - http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=5349

Let me know how get on

Cheers
    Rav

• Dima
    Dima Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2016
    Hi Rav,
    Before replying to your suggestions I should like to say that on three occasions I got that error message I did send a Report and hopefully I assume correctly, your technical people would have access to them:

The ID's of the Reports are: 181663846, 181558441, 181557986.

Since I am not interested in currency exchange I have always selected only share prices:

Data file size is:

After validating and super validating I got the following pleasing result:

Regarding the problem that I could not log in into this Community using the IE in Windows 10 64 bit, although I could when I was using the IE with Windows 8.1 32 bit, I should like to say that I had no trouble using Microsoft Edge.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dima
  • Tony S
    Tony S Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2016
    Hi Rav,

What's the latest on this please? Any date for the fix to be rolled out yet?
  • Rav
    edited December 2016
    Hi Tony,
    This deployment has been delayed due to a critical issue with Reckon Accounts Hosted at the moment which the IT team need to focus on in the immediate term.

I know that's not very helpful in regard to this matter however and I apologise.

I will be in touch with the team at the resolution of the RAH issue for a further update and will let you know then.

Thanks
    Rav

• John Campbell
    edited February 2017
    Now nearly mid March !! Has anyone identified that currency rates are updating correctly ?
  • Anton
    Anton Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2016
    I have tested the currency download today and it is still not working.
  • Rav
    edited February 2017
    Hi everyone,
    I am very happy to report that I have received confirmation of the currency download fix being deployed and is now working.

Please update your currencies when you have a chance and let me know if you encounter any further issues.

Thank you all for your patience.

Cheers
    Rav

• Paul Haworth
    edited March 2016
    Hi Rav,

My currencies are not updating. Can you advise?

Paul
  • Rav
    edited December 2016
    Hey Paul,
    Sorry to hear you're still having issues with your currency download.

Are you using Personal Plus 2016? Can you let me know your operating system please?

Could you please try exiting your file in full (File > Exit), restart and then try downloading only the currency rates ie. untick the stock download option.

Let me know how you get on,

Cheers
    Rav

• Paul Haworth
    edited March 2016
    Hi Rav,

Thank you for your reply.

I have Personal Plus 2015 running on XP 2002.

I tried what you suggested to no avail.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Paul

• Rav
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for trying Paul,

Please try the following -

Open the Currency List from Tools > Currency List. Select 'Update Rates' in the top right corner. Do your rates update from this method?

If not, then let's eliminate any potential conflicts from other programs or processes.

Start your Windows XP in Safe Mode, (INFO - http://bit.ly/1sPAM2z

Open Personal Plus 2015 and attempt to update your currency rates in this mode.

Let me know how you get on

Cheers
    Rav

• Margaret Kotcharian
    Margaret Kotcharian Member Posts: 14
    edited December 2016
    I have tested the currency download today 20th April and it is still not working. I am running Personal Plus 2016 on Windows 7.  The currency update has not worked since 25 November 2015.
  • David H
    David H Member Posts: 23
    edited February 2017
    This issue is marked Solved, but I've just tested currency download and it's not working for me.

Is it working for others?
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Yes:  At  22:30PM  7/6/2016  PP2016 on Win7  updated US currency OK.

Check if you have any 3rd party firewall software like AVG that is blocking the embedded internet Explorer 11 protocols from PP20xx.

Gary
  • David H
    edited June 2016
    Well, latest values for me are still 25 Nov 2015. Same behaviour on all my data files. With or without firewall on. I could wireshark this, but I'm giving up.
    US stock prices not updating, but that's on another topic thread.
    AU stock prices updating, but not displaying as updated on the One Step Update Summary.
    All up, Reckon Online Update is a mess.
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    David - agreed there is an issue with US stock presently, per the 25th May topic..

But how many firewalls are you running (ie: Windows firewall and/or any 3rd party ones too?)   and what operating system are you running with PP2016?

Gary

• John Campbell
    edited November 2016

Does anyone know a .csv import file format for currency price updates ?

It looks like the only reliable way to do this is not rely on Reckon's download server and source the information from other sites, as I do for share prices.

I have never experienced a service like this with any other product I have purchased.

We are not getting what we have paid for.

Can it last for much longer like this ?

John

• David H
    edited June 2016
    WinXP. One firewall: AVG. It was ZoneAlarm until about a week ago.
    Was running PP2015. Just upgraded to PP2016. Same behaviour.
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    David H (only).

Try this test, David.   We discovered this issue on Win10 / PP2016 in last fortnight on another site who was running AVG for both anti-virus/malware as well as a 2nd firewall (ie: AVG firewall in addition to the Windows operating system firewall).

a)  On the AVG icon near the time clock bar,   open it,  and turn off the AVG firewall option ONLY.  (Still leave your Windows firewall turned on).
    b)  You have to reboot the PC for that change in (a) to actually take place.
    c)  Retest the currency download in absolute isolation.  IE:  do a CTL-Q  to bring up the currency list,  and to see if this works,  first change the US currency to something unusual like say $A2.00,  and then execute the UPDATE Currency menu at the top of that list.   (Ignore the fact there are sideline issues with US stock updtaes presently - just focus on the ability (or not)  of the $US currency changing to today's price of around $0.73.

Once you this test is done,  reverse all the steps to get back to you preferred comfort zone of having the AVG firewall on again.

If this has any impact,  you may find your answer lies in the AVG firewall blocking the embedded Internet Explorer component that PP2015 and PP2016 both use to interact over the internet.

Again - look at this in isolation today, (8th June 2016), because there are two ends of this piece of string.  Your end, and the source of the information at the other end.  We focussing purely on whether the operating system ENVIRONMENT (ie: associated programs running in the background, like AVG in this case),  is interrupting either the outbound flow of requests seeking currencies, OR the inbound return of information into your PC.   If at any stage there has been a 'perception' that the data flowing in this way, constitutes a firewall risk, then programs (like AVG) may block that.

This behaviour can change daily.  Just because a new internet risk didn't look like day-to-day behaviour of existing programs last week, doesn't mean that the arrival of newer anti-malware, firewall risk rules and the like, won't start creating a blockage tomorrow.  This behaviour is called  false positives.  Programs can falsely suspect that data is suspicious, and take the precaution of setting that behaviour as a blacklisted process, and the result you see, is no data flowing.

The solution then rests in declaring, to the protective program, that the suspect behaviour is in fact OK, and you WHITELIST that process, so that the protection mechanisms don't block it in the future.

David call me if this needs further elaboration to assist you.   In present days, it is hard to separate the fact that TWO issues can be occuring at the same time, and you can easily dismiss one aspect of your system, causing interference to establishing the second issue.  from a system engineering perspective, you need to isolate and tackle each issue one at a time, to get to the bottom of what is causing interruptions at the PC end, versus the external service end  (not to mention outages in between! - but that's another story for another day!)

Gary

Gary Pope
    m: 0408994799
    e:  gaz@alchester.com.au
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac...
    “Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
         independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant”
  • Margaret Kotcharian
    Margaret Kotcharian Member Posts: 14
    edited December 2016

I totally agree with David H - latest values for me are still 25 Nov 2015.
    AU stock prices updating, but not displaying as updated on the One Step Update Summary. Have tried all suggestions within reason to no avail.

Margaret K

This discussion has been closed.