Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2016 no longer downloading currency rates

Comments

• John Campbell
    John Campbell Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited November 2016

Why can't Reckon answer these questions ?

QPP is their product but they are silent on how it works on a currently supported operating system. Surely with all the previous work they claim they did on the share price and currency downloads over the last 12 months, they should have some skills remaining in this area.

These downloads are a key feature that many of us pay for and expect to receive and we are not getting what we paid for.

Would you recommend this product ?

• David H
    David H Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2016
    Gary,

I tried the steps you suggested. It made no difference.
    1. Did the currency update from the Currency List with AVG firewall enabled: currencies did not update
    2. Turned off the AVG firewall, i.e. selected from the system tray icon Firewall > ALLOW ALL
    3. Did the currency update again from the Currency List: currencies did not update
    4. Closed Reckon, restarted Windows, restarted Reckon
    5. Did the currency update again from the Currency List: currencies did not update
    6. Re-enabled the AVG firewall, i.e. selected from the system tray icon Firewall > AUTOMATIC
    7. Did the currency update again from the Currency List: currencies did not update
    8. Blocked all traffic via the firewall, i.e. selected from the system tray icon Firewall > BLOCK ALL
    9. Did the currency update again from the Currency List: I expected currencies would not update and they don't; but the update did return almost immediately, very similar to the previous failed updates above.
    I'm currently building the latest wireshark for OS X, as I run this in a VM on OS X. I won't get a chance to try anything more until next week, then I'll let you know what I find.

In the meantime, it seems from the comments subsequent to mine that I'm not the only one with the problem. I'd like to hear from Reckon on this, too.

thanks - David

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 802 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2016
    David  

The exact product and method we were using to DISABLE the AVG firewall feature of the package:  "AVG Internet Security"  was through this screen, below.

Seems there is a different issue here for you then,  and running within OS X as another element of your environment I wasn't aware you were up to there.    A bit like my own setup where I have Win10 inside a VM of Debian (Linux) Host.  
    (ie: there's layers between the APP and the outside world to cut through).

• David H
    edited June 2016
    Rav, I've found the problem and I'd like an answer from you for this please.

I selected a Currency update as Gary suggested and as I outlined in my last post above and then captured the packet trace.

The problem is fairly simple:
    1. Quicken issues a GET /quickbooks/cratedownload/index.php?c=GBP HTTP/1.1\r\n (full URI = http://ps.intuitcanada.com/quickbooks/cratedownload/index.php?c=GBP)
    2. The server responds with a 404 (HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found\r\n)
    You can try clicking on that URI and see the same 404 error. Same thing if you try progressively shortening the URI. At least the server exists and responds. 

Clearly that's not the right URI for the currency update.

Here's the funny thing: Reckon told me to change it to that. After I paid to call the support number I received an email on 10 Sep 2009, subject=Q12334 : Currency exchange rates update not working in Quicken 2009 and it is causing my program to close, telling me to add in QUICKEN.INI the line
    CurrencyRateDownload2005=http://ps.intuitcanada.com/quickbooks/cratedownload/index.php?c=GBP

after the existing line
    CurrencyRateDownload=http://www.intuit.de/currency/data_de.txt

A couple of months later, on 16 Nov 2009, Reckon added Knowledgebase item 2750 to the Reckon KB, covering exactly this topic.

Obviously the configuration item is no longer valid and hasn't been since 25 Nov 2015. I can't find any other KB item referencing CurrencyRateDownload.

What is the correct URI and how do I fix it?

Thanks in anticipation of your help.
    After I get this solved, I'll see if the Australian share prices, which are still being updated, show up again on the One Step Update Summary!

David
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    David H  (ONLY) ..... and I mean:  'only',  
    because there are variations of this issue.

'Currency' is the problem in this thread,  
    but   
    depending on whether people are still ticking boxes seeking things other than currency,  can introduce inhibiting issues since 25th May with US stock price updates for instance.  

David - thanks for confirming some 2009   quicken.ini content changes.  I've been down that path of research too.  Also,  I've been comparing the URLs and what IP's resolved over the years,  particularly in July 2015 when AUST share prices failed to download, whereas US stock prices continued to do so,  whilst all alon,g Currencies worked fine.  On that occasion I retained a snapshot of the combinations of URLs involved externally, and was able to dissect the various data feeds to isolate which ones were working or not.  The benefit of that reserach in last couple of weeks, has been that the 25th May outage on US prices is like the reverse of the July 2015 situation.  But of course in that interval of time, other external factors have also changed.  So it has been a matter of isolating that further, to diagnose those ramifications.  

But in your case, with 2009 settings in 2016 product, and only seeking to sort out currency downloads,  you are in a different situation versus users on other threads who are seeking all three downloads, concurrently.  So, let's try to single your predicament out, and that'll be another happy result, whils matters outside of our respective controls, can focus on real Reckon issues, and not configuration or environment issues in your case, hopefully

We may need to be mindful of the reliance upon resolving domain names belonging to other parties, which may be part of that other issue. Independently, we've had our own team looking at two different issues for about 6 weeks now, starting with issues prior to the 25th May (the date when US prices went down), but complicated by one sub feature of one version of  AVG (if people happen to be using that, and if not, then totally ignore this aspect).  

But the combination of US pricing,  AUST pricing and currency pricing has been nailed down to sources,  and, like many,  we're awaiting news on what actual sources are being used. Generally, out there in the world,  some used Wall St On Demand - but that got sold off.  Others use Quicken,  by Intuit,  but that has been sold off to HIG,  and being private, I have no idea what control they have with FQDN settings presently for URL lookup used in past PP products (whether their's or local ones).

What I do know,  is that the URLS that worked in July 2015,  no longer resolve.  But they also don't resolve in USA based product versions either, from tests done here.   But that's just my research,  not Reckon's.    It may be, that in parallel to old URLS,  that newer replacement ones are called up in a round robin approach,  like cached mail servers do for instance.  But I've got no proof of that technology being  involved or not.  Plus,  there is every chance that URL's pointing to local domains that ARE under local control,  further propagate requests to sources that are beyond the reach of local troubleshooting trace tools to observe.  So there are combinations here that we might be totally wrong about, other than to to discuss for purposes of avoiding known failures that users may have (such as continuing to have the tick box for US Share price downloads still active)

Meantime,  some sources have been crippled for access because the sites have introduced CORS.  We knocked up a little experiment to deduce all this at and have found that server end lookups fail,  but client end browser lookups pass quite well.   But we've also found that other players in the market using the same sources are also failing,  so its rather complex at the present time.

So back to ONLY: David H: issue on this thread.  

Firstly, be sure to have all tick boxes for any updates that try to deal with US indices or any US stocks UNTICKED. (even if you are not interested in US stocks, still check you have them UNticked).  I've had numerous calls to people who daont' take the time to check that, because they are just so focussed on wanting their one Currency aspect worked on.      Reckon have outlined this point on a number of forum topics in past weeks.

Secondly, for 'just' CURRENCY requirements,  do a (CTL + A)  to get just the currency list on the screen, and deliberately change one, say $US  to say $2 or something outlandish.  Then do a currency update only.  This works fine on WIn7 or win10  with PP2016  so long as firewall intervention by AVG (for one protective tool discovered ..... there could be others too!)....  that works fine.  And don't get confused by Windows Firewall or  some anti-virus program - they're on top of all that.

So, to reiterate one more time just for this THREAD, and just for David H....
    the CURRENCY aspect can download, provided there is no interference with US stock portfolio lookups, or system ENVIRONMENT conflicts,  that may be present for 'some  users'.     But to fully appreciate the complexity of that statement,  does require readers of this particular topic,  to be also aware of the 25th May 2016 complication of US share price downloads.   It seems if they too are attempted,  or any overall auto-update is attempted, then their failure will prevent the simpler local CURRENCY updates to be compromised.    

IE:  There are at least two factors present for David H's issue on this one topic.

As always, my contact info in my profile is freely available for contact.   But my concern is, that there are many other product vendors out there with the same limiting issue presently with one aspect of this, which is clouding the issue.   That's my opinion.

Apologies for dragging this out for anybody who is having combinations of other problems.  We're just trying to focus on David H's progress here.  Like others we've helped,  its been a matter of one down, next please......   The combinations can vary, depending on what each user is doing concurrently on their machines.

David H:  Please call me to discuss this off line if this is a one-off situation that only your PC is experiencing, and we could see if we can knock this off.

Cheers

Gaz
  • David H
    edited June 2016
    Gary,

I've run the currency-update-only test as you've described above and currencies do not update. That was the test I did while monitoring with wireshark.

I also tried access the URI http://ps.intuitcanada.com/quickbooks/cratedownload/index.php?c=GBP from within the Windows VM with:
    • AVG firewall off (i.e. Firewall > ALLOW ALL): result is a 404 error the same as PP2016 receives when it tries the query
    • AVG firewall on (i.e. Firewall > AUTOMATIC): result is a 404 error the same as PP2016 receives when it tries the query
    • AVG firewall blocking (i.e. Firewall > BLOCK ALL): result is the browser unable to establish a connection to ps.intuitcanada.com
    All of the above is what I'd expect.

I also tried the same URI from OS X, which has the firewall off: result is a 404 error the same as PP2016 receives when it tries the query.

So the problem appears to be that the URI is invalid. The server is valid, because it's responding with a 404. It also responds with a 403 (forbidden) when I try just the server name.

You appear to have it working. What URI do you have for currency download in your quicken.ini file?

?Rav?, still haven't heard from you. What URI does Reckon now ship in quicken.ini for currency download?

regards - David 

• gazza73
    edited December 2016
    David H:

I have quicken.ini   as different depending on operating system

a)  in C:\Windows\    on win7   there is a small one containing  no download line

b)  in c:\users\All Users\Intuit\Quicken\Config    there is a large one containing

Perhaps rename that 2nd one in (b), and have a fresh one, or RELY UPON tthe one  in (a)   so that  the program uses the embedded   qb2008pathc.quicken.com  and   qw2011.quicken.com   and  squotes.reckon.com    URLS  (of which, two won't resolve compared to July 2015),  but we only want to focus on the CURRENCY for this test, just for you, David H.

Gary
  • David H
    edited June 2016
    Gary,

Change in behaviour under the covers but still not updating currencies.

I deleted the line 
    CurrencyRateDownload2005=http://ps.intuitcanada.com/quickbooks/cratedownload/index.php?c=GBP

in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Intuit\Quicken\Config\quicken.ini

Now PP2016 goes to http://redirect.reckon.com.au/reckonaccounts_2013_au/currencydownloading, which redirects to a file on an Amazon AWS server. The AWS server returns a 302 Found, but Reckon doesn't update the currencies.

Plugging the above URI into a browser, either inside the Windows VM or in OS X, results in a file download of currency.txt, the first few lines of which are

Reckon Accounts Currency Update File As At 08:00PM on June 17, 2016 (UTC) - Base Currency GBP""
    "DZD", "0.00632824"
    "NAD", "0.04586453"

So the URI is valid and I can download the file manually. I don't know whether P2016 is not processing the redirect properly and so doesn't download the file or whether it's downloading it and not processing the file properly.

regards - David
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    David  H.

If you're using wireshark,  (or similar) fetch those IP's and we'll compare notes. Sure would appreciate a quick call on this....  0408994799 (Vic)

Gaz
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    David H.  

That redirection to AWS resolves to:  
    ping s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.comPING s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com (54.231.228.6) 56(84) bytes of data.

That is not one of the IPs I was expecting, I have to advise.

But your curiosity was the comparison between our respective files.  

What is your outcome when you confgure as:

AND:  what is the last modified date,  and original creation date  of your quicken.ini that we're dealing with here anyway?   If you're editing it, then the file has been date compromised already, so quote the creation date please,  AND relate that to the actual time of last installation, and confirm the product version related thereto.

I'm becoming concerned the history of your particular installation spans back to 2009 as previously stated, as opposed to recent fresh installs.   These, along with many other version settings within  INI files and so forth, would need closer comparison before we are assured we're comparing like for like versions with each other.

Gaz

Gary
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Good news!

replacement:  qwutil.dll  now sorts out reaching Markt On Demand late today
    over at 209.234.234.183.    See fix at tail end of page 2 of:
    https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/why-have-us-share-prices-stopped-updating-on-personal-plu...

Gary
  • David H
    edited June 2016
    Gary,

Good news re US stock prices. As for others, the new qwutil.dll fixes the US stock price for me.

But it doesn't fix the currency download.

2009? No, I've been using Quicken/Reckon for 20 years :-)

quicken.ini creation date is 14 Nov 2005. Modified date is today, i.e. it's always the same as the most recent start time of Reckon, or later.

I have the line
    in quicken.ini.

I believe it's been ignoring that line ever since it started using CurrencyRateDownload2005 instead. It certainly took no notice of it when it was going to http://redirect.reckon.com.au/reckonaccounts_2013_au/currencydownloading.

Sorry I didn't get back to you with the ip details. The file it is downloading is currency.txt from the Amazon site you quoted and the full URI is
    https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/rkn-currency-update-prod/currency.txt?&__hstc=159810082....

Rav, how about the developers look into this issue and see if they can solve it?

David
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    David H (only).   

Can you do a CURRENCY LIST screen, and do a single Currency UPDATE only, by itself?

I don;t think you and I finally confirmed whether we have identical and single INI files in the end, we only compared a couple of lines.  Perhaps more to look at there.

Gary
  • David H
    edited June 2016
    Gary,

Yes, I've done the tests using only the single currency update from the Currency List.

Like you, I have two quicken.ini files, plus one other for QuickenConverter.

Please let me know how you'd like to compare the files.

regards - David
  • David H
    edited June 2016
    Gary,

Yes, I've done the tests using only the single currency update from the Currency List.

Like you, I have two quicken.ini files, plus one other for QuickenConverter.

Please let me know how you'd like to compare the files.

regards - David
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    David H

Let me email them to you from gaz@alchester.com.au  so get in touch to do so please.

Gary
  • David H
    edited July 2016
    REALLY SOLVED (I hope)

There is a simple solution to the currency update problem in PP2016 and PP2015 that worked for me. I'd appreciate it if other community members with the update problem could test it out and confirm it works. For the rest of this post I refer only to PP2016. That's what I tested it on. It should work equally well for PP2015 and, I expect, for other versions.

Please reply below to let me know if it works. Gary Pope was extremely helpful in a number of areas with this problem and he and I would both like to know that the solution actually works.

The short version of the instructions below is for those who know exactly what to do and need just a pointer. The longer version gives more detailed instructions. The Why ...? section is a brief explanation of the reason I think this happened. 

Short version: enable TLS 1.0 and later in Internet Explorer Tools > Internet Options Advanced tab in the Security section. After that, attempt to update currencies in PP2016 and check that they have updated.

Longer version
    Start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Internet Options from the menu or the "cog" at the top right.
    Click on the Advanced tab and scroll down to the Security section, then scroll further until you see the option Use SSL 2.0. This is what Internet Explorer 8 options looked like before I changed them:

I ticked the Use TLS 1.0 option and that is all I needed to do to get the currency download working. I also unticked the Use SSL 2.0 option because it's a dated protocol with security flaws and is little-used now. If you see Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.2, tick them as well. You shouldn't need to do that to get the currency download working and I haven't tested it because Internet Explorer 8 doesn't support those newer protocols. Still, you ought to use them if a web server supports them.

This is what my options looked like after the change:

When you've made the changes, click OK. You shouldn't need to restart Internet Explorer or PP2016. Attempt to update currencies in PP2016 from Tools > Currency List by clicking on the Update Rates button and selecting only Download currency exchange rates. Check that the rates have updated by clicking on the Historical Rates button. This is what mine looked like after a test late Saturday night and updating today:

Why do you need to make this change?
    I suspect that the root cause is that on 25 Nov 2015, the Reckon currency download was either moved to a web server that does not support SSL 2.0, or the web server on which the currency download file is hosted stopped using SSL 2.0. This affected PP2016 in a way not at all obvious to all.

Reckon PP2016 (and earlier versions going way back) use Internet Explorer under the covers. When you do a currency or share price update, PP2016 accesses a URL on a server and (I believe) it does this using Internet Explorer library functions.

The encryption protocols Internet Explorer uses by default depend on the version. I use Internet Explorer 8 on my old WinXP Pro system (on a virtual machine) that has PP2016 installed. PP2016 is all I use Windows for, so I've not bothered updating. When IE8 was released SSL 2.0 was common across web servers and TLS 1.0 was not widely used. The defaults were set that way to not use TLS.

Later versions of Internet Explorer use TLS. If you have a later version, then you probably didn't experience the currency download issue unless you had disabled TLS 1.x.

I hope this works for everyone.

regards - David

• Margaret Kotcharian
    Margaret Kotcharian Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2017

I am running Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 PP2016. I followed your instructions, but found it was already set as per your advice ie TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 ticked.  I still cannot download currency rates. My last successful download was 25/11/15.

Margaret

• gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Margaret - what about the other matter happening presently, where you need to upgrade the qwutil.dll file - have you done that already?
     See RAV's instructions three week's ago  at:

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/why-have-us-share-prices-stopped-updating-on-personal-plu...

which I repeat here:
    ---------------------------------------

Hi everyone,

As I've mentioned previously, the Development team have been continuing work regarding this issue and have formulated a potential solution which bypasses the need for a code change.

Can I please ask that you follow the steps outlined below -

Steps to fix the issue: -

1) Close Reckon Accounts Personal

2) Download http://downloads.reckon.com.au/qwutil.dll

3) Copy the above file into your Reckon Personal 2015 or 2016 installation folder (by default this would be C:\Program Files\Reckon Accounts Personal)

4) When you get the message saying qwutil.dll already exists. Do you want to replace it?' select 'Yes'

5) Once the file has been saved, open Reckon Accounts Personal and you will be able to download US Share Prices.

------------------------------------------

Cheers

Gary
  • Margaret Kotcharian
    edited February 2017
    Yes I have completed this download.  It did fix the problem with the Update Summary - that now works again - however has had no effect on currency update which still does not work.
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Margaret (only).   

Can you do a CURRENCY LIST screen, and do a single Currency UPDATE only, by itself?      

Gary
  • Margaret Kotcharian
    edited February 2017
    When I do a single currency update from the currency list screen, it does not update any currencies at all, only the share prices, even though I changed the settings to currency updates and un-ticked stock updates.
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Margaret

At this point, I feel you may need to look at his more from an IT Support viewpoint, looking at things like windows firewall, or other anti-malware firewall/blocking settings that may exist on your machine.   It  seems we;re collectively explored most of the sideline tricks to force the request for 'just' currency updates to occur, and they are not forthcoming from the 'SERVICE'.    Let us know what brands of anti-malware (virus, spyware, adware, etc etc) that you have running on your machine,  and have an IT person carefully explore retesting your currency updates with such tools momentarily disabled (not for long - say 5 minutes) to avoid other protection issues occurring - to isolate anything like THAT being the possible reason here.

Gary

• David H
    edited July 2016
    Gary,

I checked the currency download with the updated qwutil.dll and with the old qwutil.dll and it worked with both after the TLS update I made.

Margaret, what happens if you open the link http://redirect.reckon.com.au/reckonaccounts_2013_au/currencydownloading in Internet Explorer? Do you see a dialog Opening currency.txt asking you to save the file or open it with a program? I see this:

If I click Open with Notepad, Notepad opens with a file for which the first few lines are:

Reckon Accounts Currency Update File As At 08:00PM on July 14, 2016 (UTC) - Base Currency GBP
    ""
    "DZD", "0.00679381"
    "NAD", "0.05255289"
    "GHS", "0.18972914"
    "EGP", "0.08442761"
    "BGN", "0.42617730"

If you see that, then your browser is able to download the file. Mine couldn't until I made the TLS changes.

If you can't see that, then it's possible that you have another problem, for example a firewall issue. If you have access to another computer at the same site, try opening that same link on the other computer, too.

regards - David
  • Margaret Kotcharian
    edited December 2016
    I tried this and the file opened with the files as above, so I guess my browser is able to download the file.
  • David H
    edited July 2016
    Margaret,

Could you please exit PP2016 and locate your QUICKEN.INI file?

You will probably have at least two QUICKEN.INI files. One will be in C:\windows; you don't want that file. If you're running Windows7, the file you want will probably be in C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken.

Make a copy of that file.

Open QUICKEN.INI in Notepad and search for the section starting with
    [Internet]

In that section, do you have a line starting with CurrencyRateDownload2005 that might look like this:

If you do, delete just that line, save the file, restart PP2016 and then try the currency download again.

regards - David
  • Margaret Kotcharian
    edited December 2016
    I have just installed the 2017 upgrade and the currency updates still do not load.  I tried your suggestion above, but it stopped all updates including share prices, so had to revert to original which then allowed share price updates, but still no currency.
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi Margaret,

Try these steps:
    1. Go to Tools > Currency List
    2. In the Home column, make sure the tick is on Australian Dollar
    3. Click on Update Rates
    Have the exchange rates updated?

regards,
    John.

• Margaret Kotcharian
    edited December 2016

Hi John,

No the exchange rates still do not update. I have not been able to update them since November 2015 when the original problem occurred.

• John G
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Margaret,

Please do a test.
    Create a new datafile and update the currency.  Does it work?

regards,
    John.
  • Margaret Kotcharian
    edited December 2016
    Have done this test and it did not work.
  • John G
    edited February 2017
    Hi Margaret,  

How does the latest attempt to update the currency list compare to mine:

(these rates update at 9pm daily)

regards,
    John
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Margaret/John.

Have we got the SPECs of Margaret's operating system and anti virus and firewall status.   The tips in this article from 5 months ago and 6 months ago were never supplied by Margaret.  Also,  we had that one other incidence of 'Chris' storing data files in a privileged program area that created mischief - but we need to know the O/S.

Gary
  • Margaret Kotcharian
    edited December 2016

I am using Windows 7, PP 2017, Internet Explorer 11.  Antivirus program is Trend Micro Maximum Security 2017.

Regarding John's currency list, mine has not updated since November 2015, no matter what I do.

• John G
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Margaret,

Few more things to try....

Disable Trend Micro - does the Currency List Update?
    Turn Trend Micro back on.

If Updated, then the problem is Trend Micro blocking Reckon Accounts.  Make Reckon Accounts (qw.exe) an exception in Trend Micro.

If not, turn off your firewall and do the same test.
    Turn your firewall back on. 

If Currency List does not update, open the Sample file - File > Open Sample File
    Tools > Currency List - check the value of a currency: eg AUD 0.70067
    click on Update Rates and download currencies only.  
    Has the currency value changed? eg: 0.74558 (latest value)
    Do you have the line: "Currency exchange rates last updated on (today's date and time)"?

If the Sample file test was successful, create a backup (*.rkn) of your datafile and restore it to the Sample file directory:  C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Sample\
    Open it from the Sample file directory and run One Step Update - did the currency list update?

If it did, then there is a permission issue with the directory your datafile is stored.  

If the currency list still does not update then clean uninstall and re-install your Reckon Accounts.  A full guide is available here.

regards,
    John

• John Campbell
    John Campbell Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited December 2016

John,

What about remote log-in ?

Or don't we have any suitable diagnostics to check ?

• Margaret Kotcharian
    edited February 2017
    Have tried all the above, none of which worked.  Looked at the clean uninstall, but not confident enough to tackle that.  Thanks anyway, I will just live without currency exchange updates which are not as important to me as the stock/share updates which do work.  It is just a pity that after so many years (20 yrs) of using Quicken/Reckon with no problems, I now have this issue which commenced in November 2015.
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Margaret - would you like to chat to me about this - I can call back from 0408994799 (VIC)
  • Margaret Kotcharian
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Gary. My phone number is 07-55304638.
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    John:

Margaret is running Win7HOME,   and over the phone we double checked a lot of things.   Ensured that all US and AUST stocks were in fact totally turned OFF, and just the exchange rates are being sought.

And for Margaret, using PP2017 (after an uninstall of 2016, installl 2017)  she still has a qwutil of 3532KB of July 2016 generation.

She's seeing this issue on the SAMPLE file, in the sample file location, and with Trend Data AV off or on.  She assures me there is no other software that may be causing a DNS blocking.    

JOHN:
    What would be useful here,  is to know the FQDN of the 'URL link' that is used either directly from the qw.exe or some dll thereof,  or via the server at Reckon (if double-hopped via Reckon) to ensure that URL can be pinged.   OR: if you or the dev team can assure us all, that the SOURCE of the exchange rate information comes from purely the link between the local EXE program on the user's laptop, and some SERVER that needs to be reached with Reckon Sydney.  If so, what is that URL, so we can suggest a traceroute or do a wireshark investigation into whether Margaret's laptop can actually traverse data to/from that source, and if not, why not.

Gary
This discussion has been closed.