Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2017 - Loss of Historical Share, Bond and Managed Fund Price Data

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Help. I have just upgraded to Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2017 from 2016. The immediate issue is that the pricing history for all my SMSF investments for which I manually input the pricing data has disappeared. The cost prices are there, but no current value. For my Share prices - which are updated electronically - there is but 5 day's worth of pricing data. My share price and transaction data literally goes back decades. I have a vague recollection of this occurring previously but can't find any reference as to how the issue was solved.
Photo of Peter Jenke

Peter Jenke

• 658 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

• 6,070 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Haven't experienced that problem, Peter.  The pricing data is held in the file FILE NAME.qph - do you have an older backed up version?

One thought - your file name isn't longer than 8 characters is it?  Since XP Reckon has trouble working with longer file names.
Photo of Peter Jenke

Peter Jenke

Thanks for the response. Immediately prior to to installing 2017, I backed up using the File Backup utility. I then uninstalled 2016. Having installed the new version, I opened the file from the backed up .QDF - exactly as I've done every other year going back to 1992. In every other respect, the data appears to be there. As I mentioned, I think something similar happened a few years back but Support was able to help. I couldn't get help this evening after 5pm and am getting extremely nervous. I can see this file Taxpack_20080907_20120705_201407051111_20161102.QPH in my Documents\Quicken\BACKUP directory. Does this provide any clues?
Photo of ecco

ecco

• 250 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I had the same problem when I tried to convert my quicken personal plus over to reckon accounts personal. Only the .qdf file came over. I got instructions from John on how to activate the other files that have the currency history and share prices. But I wouldn't have a clue how to follow those instructions. They are beyond me. I am going to have to see if I can get someone in my home town of Wellington who is a quicken partner to help me migrate my data to reckon accounts personal.
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Is that the only back-up of your old files you have, Peter?  That file name doesn't make any sense to me, but I don't use Reckon's Back-up - just keep copies of the files separately.  

I've just done a back-up of my file and every file is saved as FILENAME_20161102.xxx.

Looks like your back-up process has added a spurious file name - it might be worth copying the back-up into a new folder and rename each file as per the above format.  Try to restore that back-up and see if your old data is there.

Otherwise try Help Desk tomorrow.

Best of luck.
Photo of Peter Jenke

Peter Jenke

The .qph file name is obviously derived from the various years but what it actually means is a mystery to me. I don't have any other backups other than a very large number obtained as I described above using the Qucken/Reckon File Backup utility. My vague recollection as to how this issue was solved the other time it occurred was that I had to copy a .qph (?) file to another directory but I simply can't recall the details. I'm a reasonably proficient Reckon user, but not especially technically competent. Given that I rely on Reckon entirely to manage my SMSF as a self-funded retiree, not being able to access this historic data is especially worrying.
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Did you try re-naming the back-up file, Peter?  Also occurs to me that you should have other Backups created by Reckon on closing.  There should be a BACKUP folder in the Folder where you keep your data.  This is separate from the File/Backup process.  Reckon stores backups as FILENAME1, 2 etc up to 9 depending on your settings - check Edit/Preferences/Program/Setup/Backup to check; it also lists the folder location.

I also have all my SMSF data in Reckon/Quicken, so am most sympathetic to your situation.

One other thought - do you create Year-End copies each Financial Year?  If so, your Historical Data will be available in the files created, with stock prices up until the date you created the Year-End copy. 
Photo of Peter Jenke

Peter Jenke

Hold the presses. Part of my problem is that after 25 years using Quicken/Reckon and quite a few PCs, I have backups and files a plenty. Having read and re-read your posts i went back into Reckon and just kept opening backup files (i one of four Backup folders I found) and suddenly I opened a file and the historical data appeared. I think the immediate problem has been solved but I think I'm at the stage where I need to get someone on-site to check my set-up and make the necessary corrections. The technical side has got beyond me.

Thanks to everyone
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Where do you live, Peter?  Happy to help if you're local :)
Photo of Peter Jenke

Peter Jenke

Thanks very much for your offer but I think that with everyone's help and John's suggestion (below) I'm back on track. Very much appreciated.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

• 22,222 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Have you tried searching for *.qph files? The results might give you a clue to the fix.

The uninstaller normally won't remove files it didn't place, so if you did copy it around, it will still be there.
Photo of Peter Jenke

Peter Jenke

Hi Andrew. The most recent .qph file I found was the one I described above. In what directory should it be? Am I able to uninstall 2017 and reinstall 2016? Is that likely to fix the problem?
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

• 22,222 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I'm not really sure Peter, It might be best to try support in the morning and see what they say.

Just a quick one, this is old, but most likely still valid, have you tried this?

http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.as...
Photo of Tony Grima

Tony Grima

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have also just upgraded to 2017, still have all of my history however the current closing prices that has been downloaded are incorrect. an example MBE Mobile Embrace has a closing price of 0.265 on the ASX Reckon has a closing price of 0.285, 
Photo of Peter Jenke

Peter Jenke

To further complicate matters, I have just updated today's share prices, but the prices shown for the 2nd Nov are incorrect. eg ANZ - shown, $28.09, actual $27.18. BHP - shown $22.74, actual $22.56. Of 13 prices downloaded, only one is correct. Something seems to have gone terribly wrong. Is there any chance there's an issue with the upgrade itself? ( I posted this before I had seen Tony's post above)
(Edited)
Photo of David

David

• 194 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I too have problems with the Stock price updates for Nov 2
They are all over the place.
Comparing with ComSec, I see prices for example, on CBA CKF etc are massively wrong.
Is this issue being looked into ?

I also updated to 2017 Personal Plus today.
All good yesterday.
Photo of Peter Jenke

Peter Jenke

I attempted another price download this morning and the downloaded prices for the 2nd changed to what now appears to be the correct figures. Unfortunately my missing historical prices did not so magically appear.
Photo of Peter Jenke

Peter Jenke

See my response to Diver Dave above. Immediate problem solved but I will be seeking assistance. Thanks to all.
Photo of Reckon FAQs

Reckon FAQs, Employee

• 10,138 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Peter,

Glad you have sorted out your share price history.  
And thanks to all community members who lent you a hand.

Looking at the name of the file you quoted it sounds like you have on a number of occasions in the past opened a backup file as your work file - the dates attached to the name are the dates the backup was made.  The best way to avoid this confusion is to create a new folder for each backup, or better still, use the Backup data to compressed archive (.rkn) file option.  The File > Open command will not open the .rkn file.  

Going forward from here I would strongly recommend that once you have identified your current datafiles with their associated ancillary files (.qph, .hcx, .idx, .him, etc), move them to a new folder and create a new .rkn backup of them, and move all other files and backups to an "archive" folder, with a copy also on your external storage.

regards,
John.
Photo of David

David

I just did the Stock Price update for Nov 3 and clearly it's still broken.
Example: In Quicken CKF posted as a closing price of $ 4.60
In ComSec the closing price for Nov 3 is $ 4.78 ????

Is anyone at Reckon looking into this anomaly ?

That was only one example, there are many, many more
Photo of Tony Grima

Tony Grima

Still have the same problem, updated prices for the 3rd Nov and still they are incorrect, this is very frustrating given the number of times the stock prices failed to upload in the past, now a new version on day one and it is broken. Does Reckon have any quality control in place before releasing new versions? This needs to be fixed urgently

Photo of Michael Holmes

Michael Holmes

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I've just done the update for the 3rd and every single one of my stocks is wrong. I thought RA 2017 was using a new server and all our stock issues would be over but alas we have been deceived again.
Photo of Peter Jenke

Peter Jenke

Exactly the same issue as Tony and David described above. The share prices I downloaded this evening are all wrong. I will download again tomorrow to see if I get the corrected prices as occurred this morning.
Photo of Peter Jenke

Peter Jenke

Exactly the same as yesterday morning. Did a share price update for the 3rd and the correct prices now show.
Photo of Michael Holmes

Michael Holmes

Same here. This is obviously a problem that needs to be addressed. I want to see the correct prices at the end of the trading day not the next morning. The following was part of my RA 2017 upgrade email.

"Daily share prices and quotes are downloaded via Amazon Web Services (a world-class hosting platform), providing you with a reliable share management service."

I think not!
Photo of Reckon FAQs

Reckon FAQs, Employee

• 10,138 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the updates.  We'll review this today.

Please do a test - create a new file, buy some shares dated last month, run One Step update.
Do you get the same result?

regards,
John
Photo of gp doc

gp doc

• 240 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The prices are incorrect please supply the daily prices correctly do you realise its the ONLY reason for having Home and Buisness just look up the end of day prices from any source and make your prices the same. I have been using this product for 30 years and I will continue as a annual account IF
Photo of Peter Jenke

Peter Jenke

Gave up trying to download share prices last evening (nothing downloaded) but once again was able to download what appear to be the correct prices about 20 mins ago
Photo of gp doc

gp doc

• 240 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes 20 minutes and several hours after they should be correct.
Photo of John G

John G, Information Support Analyst

• 27,530 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the updates Peter and everyone else.

Developers are looking into it today and hope to have an answer within a day or two.

regards,
John  
Photo of Michael Holmes

Michael Holmes

It might be a Time Zone thing seeing that you are using Amazon Web Services
Photo of David

David

I would have thought a Time Zone issue would NOT reflect prices that are all over the place.
Photo of Wayne Glynne

Wayne Glynne

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Prices for 7 November - OZL (OZ Minerals). ASX Closing Price $7.13, Price downloaded by Reckon 2017 - $6.38. I have no idea. Same issue for A2M. The last time OZL hit $6.38 was the open on October 31. Coincidentally (or not) the last time A2M hit the incorrect downloaded price was October 31
Photo of Tony Grima

Tony Grima

Has there been any further development on this issue prices still incorrect as of the 8th November download.
(Edited)
Photo of Pravin Nahar

Pravin Nahar

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Last night, the downloaded prices were all over the place. This is becoming a serious issue..
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 91,712 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi folks,

Our Dev team are aiming to push through a potential fix today which will hopefully fix the current issue impacting share price information beginning from tonight's download.

This could be subject to change however that is the current projection at this point. I'll let you know of any changes to the situation or any other developments.

Thank you all for your patience.

Cheers
Rav
Photo of Peter Jenke

Peter Jenke

The way the market's gone today I'm not too sure I want it fixed tonight
Photo of Randall Kingsley

Randall Kingsley

• 70 Points
Hi This morning when  checked for update of prices, they were correct to cob the day before.  So am happy to hear the problem might be fixed.  Thought maybe it was connected to timing for daily price updates in that perhaps linked to US timings? and not Aust.  Will check again tomorrow.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi all,

The fix has been deployed and tested by our Dev team yesterday and has resolved the issues impacting share price information when downloaded EOD.

Thank you all for your patience and our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

If you continue you experience the issues outlined in this thread, please let us know

Thanks
Rav
Photo of Margaret Norris

Margaret Norris

• 280 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Rav,

The problem has not gone away!

Please refer to my postings in my thread dated 28 November.  On selected codes SYI, VGS and VHY, since November 4 the downloaded price is a six-figure, comma-separated value. 

Why is Reckon AP 2017 selectively making these errors?

Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi Margaret,

I've just replied to your seperate issue on your thread. Let's continue the conversation there.

Cheers
Rav

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.