Reckon Accounts Plus 2016 keeps closing

Options
Jacaranda
Jacaranda Member Posts: 4
edited October 2018 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)

Stage 1 - I am having difficulty adding a new employee.  

I have tried to enter the employee’s details using the Employee Centre (didn’t save) and then the Employee Organiser(which seemed to save but didn't). When I clicked on the icon in the Organiser to enter payroll details, all the fields I had already entered were blank, so I closed that and went to Employee Centre where the employee’s name and tax file number were displayed.

When I double clicked on the employee’s name in order to enter the details, everything was blank as before despite the employee’s name and tax file number being visible in the home screen of the employee centre and the fact I had entered all of his contact details, birthdate, etc using the Organiser.

I am having a lot of trouble with Reckon at the moment which all seem to have started since I first attempted to add this employee. I spent over and hour and a half to Reckon phone support staff on because Reckon kept encountering an error and closing. The staff were unable to help me (but are looking into it) and I have had to restore a back-up copy of the company file which has created a lot of catch up work at a terribly inconvenient time of year.

I am concerned there is a problem hiding in my file and I also have the immediate issue of not being able to enter (and pay) an employee. 

Stage 2 - Now I am unable to email payslips to existing employees.  

We are only a small business but our employees are entitled to payslips and end of financial year payment summaries and I am unable to email or print them plus our new employee has not even been entered on the system. I have had to perform a manual estimate in order to pay him. This is not recorded and I am unable to provide him with a payslip. 

Stage 3 - I am unable to open Reckon normally. 

I have to restore the backup each time I want to use the program (does this give a clue as to what is wrong?). If I just open Reckon as usual, the program encounters an error and has to close even if I try to do something as simple as “ write” a cheque.

I am terrified that I will be unable to produce the reports I need to complete my BAS reporting.

I don't know what Stage 4 is going to be

Comments

• Kim Chapman - COS Business Solutions
    Kim Chapman - COS Business Solutions Accredited Partner Posts: 204 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi Jacaranda

Obviously I can't test your file, and have no history of it.  I am going to guess that - If this is the original first release of 2016 Reckon Accounts, then you may have a corrupted file, specifically if this the R1 release and you have added a New Employee from the New Employee Setup Template. 

If you can open the file Go to the Employee Dropdown - Tax table info.  If it at the bottom does not say Release R1.01, and you have done the above, Im sorry but your file has become corrupt and is unrecoverable.

If this is the case you are going to have to restore your latest backup, preferably uninstall your RA 2016 R1 first, then reinstall using the downloaded 2016 R1.01, then reenter your payroll.

Sorry for the news if this is the case. 

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Kim Chapman

www.chapmanofficeservices.com

• Jacaranda
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thank you for your advice Kim. I actually got on to Reckon telephone support today (I work outside my husband's business so have trouble accessing support due to usually being unavailable during their work hours).
    The problem was with one of the Employee Default settings and the man I spoke to on the phone gave me very clear directions on how to resolve the issue. I have since uninstalled & installed Reckon and made the changes he suggested. All now seems to be well.
    Unfortunately, I have had to go back to a back up from May so I have a lot of work to redo. I think my take-away lesson here is to wait a little before I update next time so that any bugs are found and fixed before I install.
    Thank  you for your help and to the gentleman on the phone. I wish I had written down his name so I could thank him properly.

• Kim Chapman - COS Business Solutions
    Kim Chapman - COS Business Solutions Accredited Partner Posts: 204 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited October 2017
    Options

No Problem. 

Tech Support is a far better option than the Community, they can ask questions, and ask more based on your answers. 

Kind Regards

Kim Chapman

• Jacqui Allen
    Jacqui Allen Member Posts: 238 ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I had a file with the same problem, check your payroll preference remove the default super rebuild the file and create a new employee. I've had no problems since doing this.
  • Jacaranda
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thank you Jacqui. That is exactly what the problem was.
    The poor man in Reckon Tech Supprt who took my call last week had no clue but Tech Support helped me out today. I am so relieved
  • Jacqui Allen
    Jacqui Allen Member Posts: 238 ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've been using this product since the early 90's, experience is on my side.