Reckon Accounts Plus - 2016 Outright License

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Hello,

After 25 year plus of working with Quickbooks (I'm 70plus now retired and doing minor stuff from home), I stumbled into a problem (not of my doing) that has baffled me and is still somewhat unresolved entirely.
I recently invoiced one of my customers for rent and a bodycorp fee in two separate invoices; for some inexplicable reason, he paid (by direct credit) both invoices twice, but the second time a week later, so this is how I dealt with them:
  1. entered the first two payments as usual in received payments - no issue with that
  2. entered the second batch with reference memos to the invoices he had already paid
  3. wrote 2 cheques against accounts receivable so that I could account for the 2 amounts coming out out of my trading b/account
  4. I raise 2 adjustment/refund notes for the over payments
The result is:

1. In the chart of accounts, the trading account, both amounts appear in the money in and money out columns - good
  2. In the bank rec screen, both amounts appear in the money in and money out sections - good
  3. in the receive payments screen, all appears normal except thre's a credit applicable to that customer of an odd amount, when he's not entitled to any credits.

How do I fix this issue and would the double payment add to the over all income figure at tax time?

I really hope someone out there has an easy solution for me.

Kind Regards,
Frank Cusmano

Photo of Frank

Frank

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Gillian

Gillian, Accredited Partner

• 1,014 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Frank,

You did good!!! I hope in step 3 chqs you had no tax codes......
Just delete the 2 adjustment notes...you dont need them. In the receive payments screen create a new receive payment the amount = 0 and you should have your chqs in the body and the credits available of the same amount, Highlight a chq line (not tick) and click credit button. do this for next chq and save & close.

Gillian
Photo of Frank

Frank

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hi Gillian,

Thanks for your encouragement; I think that some of the steps I took were rather luck than good management. Going through the list of your instructions:

1. my 2 refund cheques had no tax codes - good
  2. deleted adjustment notes - good, no ill effects
  3. tried to create new "received payment" under the client's name with $0.00 amount, but the program says that I "cannot record a blank transaction" urging me to fill the appropriate field and try again.
Did you mean that I should delete the second batch of receive payments (the duplicates) and replace them with 2 which show $0.00 amount?

It feels like we're getting close to the solution, but for that stubborn credit showing.

I eagerly look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,
Frank Cusmano

Photo of Gillian

Gillian, Accredited Partner

• 1,014 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Frank,

when you do a receive payment for that customer - is there anything at all in the body of the payment window - like the 2 chqs you wrote??

if not and your customer balance in the customer centre is correct then no further action., just close

If you see those cheques....then enter a date, then 0 in amount, highlight 1 chq, and click credit and match the amount, then do same for other cheque, then total of payment is still 0 and save and close.  also let me know if customer balance is correct

Gillian
(Edited)