Reckon Accounts Plus 2017 crashes after sending invoice

Anton Strauss
Anton Strauss Member Posts: 98
edited September 2019 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Reckon Accounts Plus crashes every time when closing it after sending invoice via Outlook 2017

Comments

• Anton Strauss
    edited August 2017
    and sometimes when it does not bring up the crash report, it crashes in the backgrounsd and fails to start because it is still running in taskmanager, processes
  • Anton Strauss
    edited August 2017
    I tried to make a post with the crash report content pasted and it refused to show, I tried posting several times but the forum may disallow crash reports?
  • Anton Strauss
    edited August 2017
    since I was unable to attach an image and a log here, I put it on my own server and provide a link:

error when closing after sending email with Outlook 2017
    https://www.videoproductions.com.au/QB/Anton-0423.png

log file generated
    https://www.videoproductions.com.au/QB/QBWin.log

• Steve Cook
    Steve Cook Member Posts: 150 ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    See this article from last year
    https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/error-code-16289-51651
    The error code changes each time

Happens if I have emailed invoices or statements during the session
    Error occurs after closing RA

Doesn't  seem to affect operation of RA.
    Still have the problem after new computer, reformat, multiple remove/reinstall etc etc

I still have RA2016
    Obviously a bug in RA2016, still not fixed in RA2017.....

I just put up with it now, given up trying to fix
    Just a nuisance every time I close RA.....

• Anton Strauss
    edited August 2017
    yes, I am using Office 360 which is updated all the time to the latest and it shows as version 1707 so I assumed 2017
    https://www.videoproductions.com.au/QB/Anton-0424.png

• Anton Strauss
    edited August 2019
    ahahhh, so what Outlook should I buy to please Reckon Accounts? maybe an old version via ebay? 2010? 2007? 2003? which one do you use?

Office 365 just means all products are 2016 version and I pay a fee once per year
  • Anton Strauss
    edited August 2017
    office 365 = office 2016

the 365 means that I pay a yearly fee instead of owning it outright
  • Anton Strauss
    edited August 2017
    you pay a monthly fee to Telstra for what? office 2016?

I bought mine at office.microsoft.com and they only have yearly fees for Office 365 and it can be installed and used on 5 PCs
  • Shisir
    Shisir Alumni Posts: 230
    edited August 2018
    Hi, Anton,

I am using the same office 365 with RAB 2017, in Windows 10 and is working fine for me.

Few things I would check is:

1) Does your user account have Admin right on the PC? If not can you please make a new Admin account and test on it.

2) Have you got RAB and/ Or outlook running as Admin? If yes to any of those, can you please try not running as Admin. Just have Admin user account on the windows.

3) Is it anything specific like invoice or reports etc, that it crashes on? Or whatever you email out from Reckon, that it crashes? If you have not tried yet, can you try emailing reports etc to see if that works?

4) If not tried yet, can you also try with another test file or sample file and try emailing to yourself?

Please let me know how that goes.

Regards

Shisir
  • Anton Strauss
    edited August 2017
    Hi Shisir

My user account is an admin account

RA is set to run as admin

Outlook is set to run as admin

when I set Thunderbird as default email client, the issue vanishes, no crashes after emailing when closing RA

however, when using Thunderbird, the invoice name is useless, each invoice has the same name and does not include the invoice number

RA should be fixed to allow users to use different email clients rather than Outlook

I only have Outlook installed for RA and that is the only use it gets

I use Thunderbird for anything else

I will perform some more testing, but note that this issue has been around for about three years now

NOTE: I am using Win7 because I dislike the flat interface of Win10 and the many spying feature built in and the windows update sharing and forced updates (these items can be disabled by Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4 but one should not have to)
  • Shisir
    edited August 2018

Thanks for the reply Anton,

Sure, try the option of Not running as admin for both RA and outlook, and see if that helps.

I would also test with new Admin account for windows, and not be running both as admin.

Regarding your comment with another email client, RAB now does support the web-based email though, if you are not aware of it. Please see below preference, if that helps.

Further, please advise the outcome on my 3rd and 4th point too on my previous post

Regards

Shisir
  • Anton Strauss
    edited August 2017
    please watch this video to see that I can't open Outlook after emailing an invoice and closing Outlook and RA until I end the task that fails to end
    https://www.videoproductions.com.au/QB/Anton-0096.mp4

• Anton Strauss
    edited August 2018
    also, I tested sending via gmail but gmail blocks RA because it is not considered a secure app, how can I fix that?image
  • Anton Strauss
    edited August 2018
    I have now tested by choosing other and using my own server and it works fine, however, everytime I send an invoice, I am prompted for the password, is there a reason why RA refuses to remember the password?

this method prevents RA from having processes running after closing, in other words, RA and Outlook are not made for each other (not when using Win7)

• Shisir
    edited August 2017
    Hi Anton

This issue is due to the security feature of Gmail. This instruction will tell you how to get around this.

Regards
    Shisir
  • Shisir
    edited August 2017
    Hi Anton,
    This is by design, that RA remembers the password only for the session. Once you close RA and reopen it, you will need to re-enter the password. for the session, until you shut RA again.

Further, in your video, I noticed, your Outlook was closed when you were sending an invoice. Could you try by leaving it open? I am also waiting for your test results to other cases I pointed out on my previous posts.

Regards

Shisir
  • Anton Strauss
    edited August 2017
    Hi Shisir

I am now sending fine via my own server, I can live with the fact that I must enter the PW only once per RA session

I will not worry about performing all the other tests at this stage because I no longer need Outlook

I can also send fine via gmail once I allowed the insecure apps from sending

I will test again with RA 2018 to see if they improved anything in terms of email clients
  • Anton Strauss
    edited August 2017
    Hi Shisir

please watch RA crash if I leave Outlook open while closing RA
    https://www.videoproductions.com.au/QB/Anton-0097.mp4

• Shisir
    edited August 2017
    Thanks for your time Anton.

Please let us know should you any more issue.

Regards

Shisir
  • Steve Cook
    Steve Cook Member Posts: 150 ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Further to this "Crash" issue, I have discovered........

Usually I have RA and Outlook open at the same time (as per Reckon recommendation)
    When I close RA, the crash occurs

However, if I first close Outlook, then close RA
    the crash does not occur

So RA appears to remain "locked" into Outlook, even after emails are sent
    Closing Outlook releases the "lock"
    Then RA closes normally
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    Robyn Kelly (Partner) Accredited Partner Posts: 473 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited September 2019

I too usually leave Outlook open when exiting Reckon.  After emailing invoices I too receive an error message when exiting. 

Code is: 22070 59643

Regards, Robyn Kelly

• Anton Strauss
    edited August 2017
    hopefully these email sending issues will get sorted with next years version, I am paying $500 per year and nothing really improves in the program

this is an old problem that has been around for some time now, but nobody at Reckon can repeat it, so they can't fix it
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited September 2017
    Hi Anton,

I've been reviewing this thread and looked at your video and it appears that Reckon Accounts has successfully done its job of delivering the email to Outlook.  The behaviour of Outlook and Reckon Accounts when you try to restart Outlook suggests there may be a conflict between the two - the most likely source is in the printer port assignments for the Reckon Acounts v5 PDF Converter.

Go to Devices & Printers > right click Reckon Accounts V5 PDF Converter > Printer preferences > Ports.  Is the Reckon Accounts V5 PDF Converter on a Port on its own or is it sharing it with another programme - like Send to OneNote?

If it is sharing a port, then click here for a guide to set the PDF V5 PDF Converter to its own port.  

regards,
    John
  • Anton Strauss
    edited September 2017
    Hi John

the Printer port was shared with OneNote and I followed the instructions on adding a new port and now it works perfect

thanks for this info, I makes life easier when things work they way they should
  • Anton Strauss
    edited September 2017
    I spoke too soon

the issue of the error when closing Reckon is solved, however, the Reckon Task QBW.exe does not end in Task Manager when closing Reckon after closing Outlook, and as a result Outlook fails to start until I manually end the task
  • John G
    edited September 2017
    Thanks Anton,

Firstly, check the port assignment again - is either Outlook or Reckon Accounts sharing their printer port?  Correct it if they are.

Next, I notice on your video (at 23 seconds) when you close Reckon Accounts, the RA icon remains active on the Task Bar, suggesting Reckon Accounts has not closed yet (and so QBW32.exe remains active in Processes on Task Manager).  Try again but make sure all programmes are minimised and only RA active on the desktop.  Close RA and respond to any messages.  When that is done has the RA icon disappeared from the Task Bar? Has QBW32 disappeared from Processes? Can you close Outlook and restart it normally?

regards,
    John

• Anton Strauss
    edited September 2017
    Hi John

I made a new video and as can be seen, there is no more crash icon remaining on taskbar after closing, but the task does not end and Outlook can't be started until the task is ended
    https://www.videoproductions.com.au/QB/Anton-0118.mp4

the printer port is no longer shared

however, the Alumni PDF Converter is shared with OneNote
    https://www.videoproductions.com.au/QB/Anton-0474.png
    https://www.videoproductions.com.au/QB/Anton-0475.png

• John G
    edited September 2017
    Thanks Anton,

So you have two Amyuni PDF Converters, and most likely the generic one links in with the Reckon Accounts v5 PDF Converter to create the conflict while the generic Converter is sharing the port with Send to OneNote.

Delete the generic Amyuni PDF converter.

In Devices & Printers right click the Amyuni PDF Converter and select Remove Device.

Next, on the Devices & Printers screen, on the top line options click Print server properties, and select the Drivers tab.  Take note of the Amyuni Document Converter 550.  Look down the list for other Amyuni drivers, highlight it and click on Remove.  You want only one Amyuni driver in this list - the Amyuni Document Converter 550.  

Now right-click the Reckon Accounts V5 PDF Converter on the Devices & Printer screen, select Printer properties and then Ports tab.  The Send to OneNote should be the only printer on the nul: port.  

Now test sending invoices and closing RA and Outlook and re-opening Outlook.

regards,
    John.
  • Anton Strauss
    edited September 2017
    Hi John

I done all that, see attached images

but the problem remains, when I close Reckon, it remains in taskmanager as QBW.EXE and outlook won't start

https://www.videoproductions.com.au/QB/Anton-0476.png
    https://www.videoproductions.com.au/QB/Anton-0477.png
    https://www.videoproductions.com.au/QB/Anton-0478.png

• John G
    edited September 2017
    Thanks Anton,

Now that the PDF converter is sorted out there is one more test.

Open the Sample file (or create a new company file), enter your email address on a customer, create an invoice for that customer and send it and then check the re-opening of Outlook.  Same behaviour?

If not, then there is a problem with your datafile and you should Re-sort Lists, Rebuild, Verify and examine the QBWin.log file and follow up on all errors.  Creating a Portable Backup and restoring it may also help.

The next step will be to clean uninstall Reckon Accounts and reinstall it.  

regards,
    John.

• Anton Strauss
    edited September 2017
    Hi John

I opened the sample file and gave the same results, see video
    https://www.videoproductions.com.au/QB/Anton-0119.mp4

• Anton Strauss
    edited June 2022

and I am now on Reckon Accounts Plus 2022 and the issue continues

Reckon Accounts crashes when exiting after sending an invoice via Outlook or the Reckon Task remains in taskmanager

the printer port is not shared

using Win10 Pro 21H2

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @Anton Strauss

At this point, I'd highly recommend that you speak with one of our support technicians so they can take a closer look and work with you in determining where the cause of the issue is stemming from.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Anton Strauss

ok, thanks, I will (body is too short)