Reckon Home & Business 2018 and Excel version

Megan Tilley
Megan Tilley Member Posts: 11
I currently use Reckon Home & Business 2018 and have the 2016 version of Excel on my computer (desktop with plenty of memory and HDD space). 

When I export from a report in CSV format, the file is created and then Excel 2003 opens - not the 2016 version I have installed on my PC. 

Is there any way to change the Excel version from 2003 to 2016 (or at least the Excel version installed on my computer)?

Comments

• John Campbell
    John Campbell Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited August 2018

Based on your description, it looks likely that Excel 2003 is the default program to open .csv files on your computer. You need to change the default program for .csv files to Excel 2016.

I am not sure of the OS you are using, but it may be as simple as using Explorer and select "Open with" for a .csv file, select Excel 2016 and set it as the default program.

(You may need to locate Excel 2016 .exe first, so you know which Excel.exe to use. My Excel 2010 is located as C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\excel.exe, which can be identified in Windows Task Manager)

This is not related to Reckon Home & Business 2018

• Megan Tilley
    Megan Tilley Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2018
    Thanks, John - I should have thought of looking at my file assignments.

I did forget to say I'm using Windows 10 Creator version. However, this problem has been occurring since before the update to Creator.

Ok - just checked the default program to open .CSV files - and it is set to open EXCEL 2016. So, obviously not the file allocation.  Default program for opening CSV files is Excel 2016.

Looks like it IS related to Reckon Home & Business 2018!!!

• John Campbell
    John Campbell Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited March 2018

Try having excel 2016 open before running Reckon Home & Business.

Otherwise, RH&B must have identified the Excel 2003 .exe file name. Not sure where to find that, as excel.exe is not in a path list.

You could temporarily change the name of excel.exe in the 2003 directory and see if RHB goes searching. Clearly, I don't know the answer!!

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited March 2018
    Hi Megan,
    I just want to check, do you actually have (or previously had) a 2003 Office/Excel install on your current PC that you're using Home & Business on?

How do you know that its a 2003 file that is being opened? Are you able to post a screenshot of this please (use the camera icon in the reply field to upload to the forum).

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Han Banan
    Han Banan Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2018
    Hi Rav
    I think I'm having a similar problem, I use Excel 2010 but when trying to import files this message pops up. My colleague has 2016 and has no problem. I can't find in the internal Reckon help topic which versions are supported either. Do you know which ones are/aren't? Cheers.