Reckon Hosted Upgrade 2015-R2 Email log

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Reckon Hosted Upgrade 2015-R2 supposed to now have an email log in Q:\Live path - I need it now to research some sent information and cannot find it?
Can anyone tell me if it's definitely available and what I need to look for to get to it?
Photo of Kim

Kim

• 210 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Kim

In 2015R2 Hosted,  I find the LOG file, once an emailed event has occurred,  to be in a LOG at:  q:\log\QBMailclient_yyyymmdd.log       (one log per dated day)

Gary Pope
An Accredited Partner- Consultant  (VIC. Aust)
http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-accounts-clarified/
"Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
      independent IT Professional
and retired FCPA Accountant"
Photo of Kim

Kim

Hi Gary, Thanks for your reply.
Not certain I am going to get what I want from the log, but would like to at least look and see.
We particularly email Payslips fortnightly, supplier remittances at least weekly and P/O's daily. I am presuming they would be classed as an emailed event? I am trying to search for record of some PO's on a certain day....

I have checked our Q:Live path and I cannot see any file of the name you quoted. Might I have interpreted the above incorrectly, or can I not see it because of some permission access? This is all I can see.

Thanks for any further input and assistance. Cheers Kim.
Kim.   You're doing fine - you're in exactly the right place.  I did not have the QBmail....LOG until  I actually sent out an email.   Then the LOG file was created and stored right next to those 'verify_rebuild.....LOG" files that are in your screenshot.

So,  I assume you are running R2 and not R1.   Don't migrate to R2 unless you have done all the necessary things related to that decision,  but I believe R2 is the program that has this new email LOG feature.

AND:  secondly, I assume you've successfully sent an invoice or something by email, so that there is something to be generated inside such a log?

Gary
Photo of Kim

Kim

Thanks Gary.

I have definitely updated to R2, had to for tax tables to apply on the 1st payrun in July and we login to Reckon using the R2 "button", but I cannot see that email log file -mmm!!!
I presume each days log stays there until it's removed.
Thought I'd test my belief and expectation that the log file should exist because documents are meant to be emailed from Reckon, all the time.....so I sent myself a remittance email.

I got the email and Hey Presto there was the log file where it was supposed to be, challenge resolved.

Have effectively proven that the PO's I was looking to check on, can't possibly have been generated and sent from Reckon last week, because no email log existed at all, far less for that day!

Can now have a word to the staff who are supposed to be sending all the usual documents out and find out why the heck they are not doing so-mmmm!

One Question to clarify before I do that. Would I see ALL daily email logs  / will all emails sent from that Reckon file be stored within a daily log I can see.

Or is it that the log I can see in that path, will be specific only to my own email activities in Reckon.

Thinking it over I'm guessing it's going to be the latter and I would not see the history of what staff / other users may have generated. They would have to look for their own log?

Thanks for the responses, think I'm getting it now. Cheers Kim.
(Edited)
Kim

Best you check that the staff haven't been say,  making PDF's and emailing them manually, outside of the Reckon program, which would explain the lack of any LOG.

Gary
Photo of Linda

Linda

• 336 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi both, I have been following your post with interest as I would also like to access the log file.  
However, once I have opened the company file, how do I access the Q:/ drive?
Do I have to be in single user mode?
Thanks 
Linda
Photo of Kim

Kim

Hi Linda, I haven't yet confirmed my theory that the email log is specific to the user, will be looking into that with another user this morning.

However, to access the file in Q:, if you open the download icon

You data file location on the Reckon Server, will open (Mine just shows "Documents" in the Look in: box. If you click the down arrow for that box, it shows more as follows:

Then when you click to open the My Live (Q:) path it then shows like following and that is where you can find your log path, containing the email log:

Hope that helps.

Cheers Kim.
Photo of Linda

Linda

• 336 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
That's it! I can see exactly what I need now
Many thanks Kim!
Linda
Photo of Chris Young

Chris Young

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hi, I have found this conversation really useful but now I need to find a log of my emailed invoices that I sent out about a month ago or more. Can I get back that far?
I currently can only see the email log of the last business day.
Gen @ SHNC
Photo of John G

John G, Information Support Analyst

• 27,450 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Genista,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

Hosted will only stores the email log for 5 days.

regards,
John
Photo of Kim

Kim

That's interesting, as I hadn't realised that... have notified our users and advised them to download and save their own logs regularly, if they might want to see the history beyond a 5 day period....often you'll want to see what was sent and when from the last EOM suppliers remittances etc......
Photo of Reckon FAQs

Reckon FAQs, Employee

• 10,138 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Kim,

thanks for highlighting this behaviour.

Yes, the Q drive on Hosted is specific to the user and not accessible by other users on the same account.  

If the email is sent from a file in a shared folder, only the email log of the user sending the email is updated.  

This issue is a good one for the Ideas section.

regards,
John
(Edited)
In response to John....   Are you saying that there are multiple logs,   ie: separate ones for each user?

On the one hand, for either privacy reasons or for simply staff separation reasons (ie: certain job roles for certain staff, and therefore emails that are related to separate job functions),.    then I can see merit in having different logs - one per ID login.     

But from a senior management perspective,  I can see why managers may want to be able to see all of them.

Perhaps the solution rest in use of cc to manager?

Gary
Photo of Kim

Kim

Hi John / Gary

When I first wanted to find the email log and couldn't, I was thinking it'd be just one big log relative to the company (whole datafile) rather than individuals.

I get why you wouldn't want everyone seeing that, with sensitive nature of payslips and reports etc...

So maybe there could be one on that basis, effectively a combined log from the individual logs (with individuals still being able to see their own).
And that maybe available only by nomination on setup of access @ the Hosted login level, rather than the datafile user level.. 

Not sure if that might work work and expect it could amount to a heap of space usage as it doubles everything up.
For that though I'd suggest maybe the individual logs then have an expiry / auto deletion date / limited history period.
If necessary to go beyond their immediate access, they can ask appropriate person with access to the overall log, to look for what they need.

Alternatively make it vice versa and individuals keep full history. Challenge I see is that individuals leave and are replaced with new logins and users, so could get lost that way too.

I'd prefer the former.
Photo of John G

John G, Information Support Analyst

• 27,470 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Kim/Gary,

Hosted replicates what happens on an office network installation - batched emails can only be sent by the user creating them from their PC and not by anyone in the network.  On Hosted the email log stays with the user.  Our developers are looking into how these user email logs can be made accessible to Administrator Users.  

regards,
John
Photo of Linda Gell

Linda Gell

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I have a question about this log file.  I can see the information that show that the file was sent but what does it look like if the email fails (eg undeliverable)?

Thanks

Linda