Reckon Personal Plus 2015 - PDF Print Hangs ALL Applications

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • In Progress

A trial version of Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2015 hangs not only Personal Plus 2015 but ALL other open applications (Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer and even Task Manager when invoked) when I attempt to print to Adobe PDF, ScanSoft PDF Create (Nuance) or the Microsoft XPS Document Writer.   All of those printers work OK outside of Personal Plus 2015.   Printing to a physcial printer from Personal plus 2015 works OK.

The only way to get control is to Ctrl-Alt-Del and Log-off.   No error codes are presented; only the ever circling 'wait' icon.

Personal Plus 2015 was installed on a Lenovo ThinkStation with 64bit Windows 7 OS.

I understand Personal Plus 2015 no longer uses an in-house PDF converter, utilising available WIndows printers.

Any help would be much appreciated.   The ability to print electronic copies of reports is a mandatory facility in accounting software and should be EASY to do!

Photo of Chris Pogonoski

Chris Pogonoski

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of John G

John G, Information Support Analyst

• 27,530 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

Sorry to hear of this problem - its the first we've heard of this sort of behaviour with Reckon Accounts 2015.  

I'll get back to you once I've discussed this problem with our technical department.  

regards,
John
Photo of Chris Pogonoski

Chris Pogonoski

Thanks John.   looking forward to your reply.

Photo of Reckon FAQs

Reckon FAQs, Employee

• 10,148 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Chris,

Sorry for the long delay.  Our developers were able to replicate the issue and investigate the issues around it.  

Unfortunately there is no solution for this issue on Windows 7.    However, it is not an issue with Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

Its a result of an application that was originally written in 32-bit (as the Reckon Accounts Personal range was) that has been upgraded to work on a 64-bit Operating System.  Although Microsoft stated these applications will be supported in a 64-bit environment, the test of time is showing that the processes don't always work as smoothly as first expected.  

Our developers have tested for this behaviour by 2015 in Windows 8.1 and 2016 in Windows 10 and found no issues printing to the newer OXPS Document Writer.

For more information you can refer to these Microsoft links and changes between XPS and OXPS. 

The Save As dialog box appears behind a 32-bit application when you print to an XPS Document Writer printer on a 64-bit version of Windows 7

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2567869

XPS and OXPS file support in Windows 7 and Windows 8

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mitchp/archive/2012/09/25/xps-and-oxps-file-support-in-windows-7-and-windows...

Hope this helps.

regards,
John
Photo of Chris Pogonoski

Chris Pogonoski

Thanks John.  It is gratifying to know that your developers were able to replicate the problem and that it is not a Lenovo hardware issue.   I'll check out the use of OXPS under Windows 7 and if that doesn't work then make the jump to Windows 8.1.

I did note when doing further PDF print testing and moving and reducing the sizes of the window(s)  that the Save As dialog box was hiding behing the Reckon Accounts window(s).  However, although it was there and visible, it still could not be accessed to assign a filename or set the storage location - the ever circling 'wait' icon!