Reckon Personal Plus 2016 - What to expect?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

No doubt a new version of Reckon Personal Plus will be out sometime in Q4 2015.

What exciting new features can we expect from the new version? (Other than the obvious compatibility with Windows 10)
Photo of Mark_B

Mark_B

• 704 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of John G

John G, Information Support Analyst

• 27,510 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Mark,

This year's release is focussed on Windows 10 compatibility and a number of enhancements to existing features like:
  • BAS Report to include the ABN as entered on the Invoices/Estimates list
  • Zoom on Reports will expand any sub-categories so that you will see the transaction immediately.
  • Category List has been added with new column Tax Code. It will display the Tax Code assigned to each Category.

There will also be the usual update to tax tables and superannuation summaries:
  • Tax Planner updated to 2015/16
  • Tax Rates in tax planner 
  • Updated Tax Schedule & Line Items from 1 July 2015
  • Superannuation Summary to include year 2015 (Investing > Super Summary)

If you're interested in an online solution to your personal finance needs check out Reckon One at Affordable Australian online accounting software.

regards,
John
Photo of Narky One

Narky One

• 1,252 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Other than Windows 10 compatibility, what BUGS are going to be fixed?
Do we conclude from the above extremely short list that very little indeed is being done, whether bug fixes or enhancements ?
The reply appears to address more than the original question which was about Personal Plus.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

• 22,222 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Narky, have a look at most Reckon desktop releases of the last few years, the 'whats new' section is very slim pickings. I raised this issue last year with the RA/POS2015 releases. Looks like the same deal again this year :(

All the dev time is being pumped into Reckon One, too bad about all the existing desktop users. Treat me poorly on the desktop, why would I want to rush to your 'cloud' solution?
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

• 3,340 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Agree Andrew.

I have a mobile business and use RA2015 on a Win 8.1 laptop, Wireless Internet is patchy in regional areas. So "cloud" is simply not an option.

Reckon need to realise that not everyone has NBN. We don't all live in the big cities. And for me NBN (in any form) is still a couple years away at least.

So I am stuck with RA desktop products and Win 8.1 for the foreseeable future...

Would be nice if Reckon could release a service pack to make RA2015 compatible with Win-10. Then we could move forward while waiting for RA2016.

Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Cloud has its place Steve, but then so does the desktop products. I would think that the Reckon desktop product would have a pretty massive install base compared to the 'cloud' uses, yet Reckon seems to focus on them. Strange.
Better grab a coffee.....

600,000 base of which a reasonable portion is likely non-advantage permanent licenses frozen in time because payroll is not needed (or done with manual journals with latest rates).   45,000 of this is HOSTED  (interesting that 15,000 are fresh users).

A really interesting statistic is:  there are 2,000,000 businesses in Australia (April 2015), of which 350,000 have gone CLOUD (of various types).   That means 1.7million haven't yet - for some reason....  and consider the demographical spread when evaluating the numbers.

So the basis upon which CLOUD is being of interest is the exponential growth in recent times.  Statistically, it doesn't look that way, when dividing the numbers.  

The marketing argument here, is just like the internet argument.   A huge percentage of the population lives close to the coast and in a few big cities.     This is why the Vodafones of this world have made such a killing financially when all they have to do is erect a few dozen towers near the 2,000,000 people who reside within 5 kms of the middle of Melbourne.   (excuse my possible exageration of this to make a point of small infrastructure in heavy populated areas.....  I trust you'll see the purpose of this totally blunt analogy in a moment).  

AND: For the record, I have nothing against such companies, they are being very shrewd and commercially focussed on making good money in the right places.   But me:  I'm a little more focussed on what's good for the country - not what's good for a single business.  I hope I explained that in a way that is not demonstrating any political bias whatsoever. 

Strange really, because when that 80+% of people who live near huge cities are not travelling from a nearby airport to some other huge city overseas where the same commercial situation exists,  maybe they just might travel some of Australia's rural/regional/outback land!

I just laugh when I discover these sort of people who finally retire and hit the nomad caravanning trail to explore OZ and wonder why their phones don't work after travelling only 100kms out of Melbourne!   Hey,  they haven't got to Oodnadatta yet!

What is my story about?  Well the analogy is trying to represent the fact that many a business person likes to escape from the CBD too.   Many have seaside country houses way down the coast where there is
a)  No ADSL
b)  patchy 3G.    
     (don't go mentioning 4G which is only eterrific if you're leaning near the pole)
c)  Never cable
d)  And unless some fate besets the town in a good way,  
     like the exception of 33 houses trialing NBN in Yarragon about 2.5 hours drive out of Melbourne where there are over 1000 other homes... no NBN either....  then just how are they going to use a data centre based service of any brand?

As developers of absoutback in 2006 we knew this was all coming still,  but our reliance on Analogue, then CDMA then GSM and rarely yet 3G/4G travelling remote areas of Oz has required us to pay full dollar for the terrific coverage that Telstra provides.  No. this is NOT an advertisement for them  -  purely an analogy to demonstrate that somebody has to  look after the other 20%.  Yes, at a price.  But if life style or business requirements meant that we need base stations (or access to some suitable technology) with adequate coverage - that's what we took.

In the case of business files - we took DESKTOP copies which we used 'rsync' to synchronise back to a private VPS (private cloud) when we emerged at a city with sufficient internet coverage to get us there.

So,  the old Australian approach of ensuring we try to look after those that feed us, mine for us, transport for us and provide energy for us from these places that are a perhaps a mere 200kms or more from some CBD - require some means of accounting for their operations.

On the other hand,  there will be those who are purely commercial about all this and decide to satisfy 80% of the market - and to hell with rest.

I for one, are prepared to acknowledge that Reckon Accounts continues to offer a solution to 100% of those who are prepared to understand the bigger picture.  And if that means 80% can enjoy cloud and the rest have to use desktop, but they have a solution - well ain't that terrific?  I think so.

And whilst all that is being considered,  some other company 15,000kms away decides to bring out some other way of locking people into some basis of an operating system that yesterday (or should I say, prior 29th July),  had absolutely nothing to do with the business agenda of either the 80% city dwellers or the 20% not quite so congested there.

Bring on the arguments to all this - I can't wait to see who bites first!

Gary
http://www.alchester.com.au/absoutback.htm
(Edited)
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Well my accountant pushes the 'cloud' makes it easier for them to review peoples books, they don't have to worry about the accounting copies and merging changes back into the main customers data file. Saves 'issues' with version mismatches etc. We had a good chat about it, so I could see why the sudden upsurge in Cloud came about if you get the bean counters on side.

Also some products like Xero have a kickback program, so that also helps.

My account loves Xero, but said its way over priced, but for them its a dream to use. They also liked Sage as well, strangely enough they weren't too keen on Reckon One, so not sure what you Reckon guys have done there. Maybe no kickback program ;)
Photo of Karen

Karen

• 336 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The original post asked about the Personal product -- but the first official reply talks about upgrades to BAS and invoices. The link provided takes you to a web page that doesn't even mention personal use or investment tracking. As an individual customer with an investment portfolio, I feel ignored by all of the accounting packages available in Australia.  An affordable, web-based solution that focuses on the needs of individuals rather than businesses (built from the ground up for individual customers rather than SMEs) would target an under-served (ignored) market.  (Especially if it meant bypassing the broken DRM of the Reckon Personal desktop product).
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

haha oh Reckon so you removed my comment, a little scared with people link to competing products that might be better/cheaper than yours are you!? Its called friendly competition.

There is a wave of apps out there you know that can do this.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 85,198 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi there Karen,

Appreciate your feedback, I certainly acknowledge that accounting packages are more focused toward business needs rather than personal.

Our Reckon Accounts Personal range contains two products, Personal Plus & Home and Business;

• Personal Plus - provides personal financing tools and an investment module.

• Home & Business - the same functionality as Personal Plus and also adds a business & GST module.

Our Personal Plus product has been designed to cater for individuals' personal and investing financial needs. For this purpose we believe it is the best in the market.

Our other product ranges, although designed for business use, can also be used for personal purposes which you may want to explore.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks
Rav
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Good morning Andrew,

We certainly appreciate the input and discussion that you bring to the Reckon Community.

I just wanted to touch base with you in regard to the removal of your previous comment on this thread.

The Reckon Community is a place where customers, customer experts, Accredited Partners and Reckon employees can share support answers and discuss our products and services.

We do not see this Community as an appropriate place to promote other providers/products.

I hope that clarifies the reason for the removal of your comment and hope you can understand it from this perspective.

Cheers
Rav
Photo of Karen

Karen

• 336 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I just think that if someone were to enter the market with a full featured product that meets the needs of investors, then customers would flock to it.  At the moment Reckon Personal is the only alternative if you have shares and/or foreign currency accounts.  
Photo of Mark_B

Mark_B

Sounds like more a "maintenance release" rather a new version. Thats disappointing, as every year I provide feedback using the "submit feedback" menu option in the hope that my feature requests and bug fixes will be included in the next version. It appears I'm wasting my time doing this.

So what is the future for the "personal' range of Reckon products? Is there going to be any real development in this application in the future? I see the forums are very active in the Personal Plus pages with people asking questions and providing suggestion but is there really any point of doing this if these requests go unheard?
Photo of David Hynd

David Hynd

• 552 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
You're probably correct.  I doubt there's been any significant investment in PP for years.  It's a legacy product milking an annuity stream.  Annoying issues where some index data can be downloaded but not others (All Ords for example) underscore this.  Super reporting fails to take into account when contributions are actually paid into the fund by the employer hence making the report meaningless. No way of constructing ad hoc reports or exporting data.  Classic case of where the lack of competition results in lack of innovation.

David H
Photo of Malincan

Malincan

• 386 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Unfortunately 2016 has not resolved the fail to launch problem
Photo of Malincan

Malincan

• 386 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hello, yes, 2016 has not resolved this issue. The installation required removal of 2015 but there is a work around and will wait for a solution.
Photo of John G

John G, Information Support Analyst

• 27,510 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Malincan,

Is UAC turned on?

Is your file in the default location - C:\ProgramDat\Intuit\quicken\...?  If it is not there then move it (with all ancillary files - QPH, HCX, IDX, etc) to this location and try again.  
(Care - ProgramData may be hidden, so unhide it first).

Hope this helps.

regards,
John
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

John, Reckon should ALWAYS assume UAC is turned on! Its the default setting.

Only bad programmers request it to be turned off!
Photo of Narky One

Narky One

And surely it should work perfectly well with the data files in, say, the \Documents folder.

And without having to fiddle with the default hidden or unhidden folders.

Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

• 3,340 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

I have a folder in Documents "Reckon Accounts". My company files are saved there.

Eg \Documents\Reckon Accounts\xxxxxxxxx.QBW

Works fine no issues. Of course can only do this if there is only one Windows user account running Reckon Accounts. Any other computer user would not be able to see the Reckon Accounts folder. (Which maybe a good thing from a security point of view)

Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

• 3,972 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Based on what I have read of RPP 2016, there has been no (NONE!!) addressing of the share price problems that have been discussed extensively on this Reckon Community Forum. This is a big disappointment, but unfortunately not unexpected.

Just updating tax codes and providing some support for Windows 10 is not good enough. I can't see any improvements to identified problems.

You certainly didn't forget to update the Annual Licence with a 9% price increase and no justification.

This RPP product support is a disappointing joke. Not much client focus left at Reckon.

(Edited)
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Well that is all you get for your yearly update these days it seems. Next one will be in 12 months time I guess and yet they wonder why users are starting to look elsewhere!

We're waiting for the RA/POS 2016 products to be released, I think we'll be in the same boat early next year. Lots of disappointment coming, but we have high hopes Reckon will pull a rabbit out of the hat and do something exciting!

I'm sure ours will come with a price hike too. Way to go Reckon.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 86,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi there John,
Could you give me a bit more detail on what issues you're experiencing in particular with share prices at the moment?

If you can create a new thread with some details on this we'll try our best to tackle it there.

Cheers
Rav
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Rav,

You should ask the RPP product manager to get the list out of his rubbish bin.

There are many posts on this community forum related to share price problems, which you should acquaint yourself with. Mirko should have given you a heads up.

Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi John,
As far as I'm aware, historical issues with share price downloads have been addressed and resolved.

If you are currently experiencing an issue with the ability to download share price information please let me know in a new thread and I'll address it there.

Cheers
Rav
Photo of Narky One

Narky One

Where is the long list of significant Enhancements that have been put into 2016?
Where is the long list of significant Bug Fixes that have been put into 2016?
The same as for 2015, 2013, 2012, .... 

NONE NADA ZIP ZERO NIL    SILENCE

Year after year after year my prayers for at least a little something have turned out to be useless. Not even any promises; barely even any recognition that there are in fact zillions of enhancements that people want, and numerous bugs needing fixes going back more than a DECADE.

Perhaps we should be thankful - if Reckon tried to make any substantial changes, it might turn to utter chaos and total disaster, rather than the well known issues that we are all learning to manage with!

Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Its easy to explain Narky One, Reckon users suffer stockholm syndrome.....
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

I don't think that's a very fair nor appropriate statement to make Andrew and I ask that you please be respectful of our users and members.

This is a friendly reminder of our Community Guidelines -https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/community_guidelines-19579e 

Rav
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

• 3,952 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Rav,

I think you need to get up to speed on the customer service that Reckon has provided RPP users over the last 12 months. For you to be warning us about appropriate behaviour, given the poor service we have endured, looks like it could enflame an insurrection.

For you to claim "As far as I'm aware, historical issues with share price downloads have been addressed and resolved." when most problems that have been identified, have been ignored shows how poorly you have reviewed the product status.

Get up to speed !!

Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

John,

As I've mentioned I'd like to address your concerns regarding share price downloads, because at this stage, I believe any historical issues have been addressed.

If I have overlooked any further issues which you may be experiencing with share price downloads currently please let me know.

Thanks
Rav
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

I ask that you please be respectful of our users and members.
Hmmm ok....Looks at my comment. Its not been hurtful or attacking anyone, or directed at any single user, it was a general statement, that even myself as a Reckon user fall under.

Can you advise what 'guideline' I have broken?

I have read the guidelines and don't see any that I've broken with THIS comment. I feel my comment falls under the "Be honest but respectful" guideline myself. You say you'll like our community members to have a place where they have the freedom to voice their opinions and to be heard, without judgement.
Photo of Trina Quadrio

Trina Quadrio

• 154 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Only a decade??? Gee, you're a newb. I've been disgusted by the lack of service from RPP for far longer.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

RAV RAV RAV RAV

BUMP.... Rav, still waiting on a reply for the guideline I have broken?
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi Andrew.

We feel that your comments in the post could be viewed as offensive, insulting or disrespectful by some users.

We don't believe that the generalization and suggestion that all Reckon users suffer from a psychological phenomenon is appropriate.

The aim of the Reckon Community is to build and foster a positive environment for constructive discussion.

I won't be commenting any further on this aspect of the discussion and I ask that you keep the thread on topic.

Thanks
Rav
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

RAV

I don't think its 'off topic' to ask for which guidelines I've broken, as you're the one that publicly started this fact and topic change in the thread.

So what you're saying is that I haven't broken a guideline as such. Reckon just 'feels' they don't like my comments.

Well if any of my comments are inappropriate, they are for sure NOT towards any user in this forum here. My comments are harsh but truthful, and those harsh but truthful comments are always directed towards the long term way Reckon treats its users. If anyone here needs to take some constructive criticism on board its Reckon. Might be time you start listening to your users for once!

I've lost count at the number of times Reckon users have express their dissatisfaction with the way Reckon treats them. Yet us users keep coming back time and time again. Now what would you call this type of relationship?

Anyhow, I'll respect YOUR wishes and leave this topic as is, I understand your 'new' around these forums and trying to put your mark out there. If you want to make a REAL change, then start to improve customer relationships and addressing the LONG term issues with the products that come up every year over and over. This way people like myself won't have anything 'inappropriate' to say about Reckon now will we?

I hate to tell you, I'm not the only one here in this thread that appears to be dissatisfied with Reckon.

Drop me a email if you like to discuss this more, you have my details.
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Rav,

I have written to Reckon and also discussed problems in the past.  The following is an extract from a document I emailed in Aug-2014. There have been further suggestions since then. I have discussed these problems with Greg Deacon and more recently with Neil Rustidge. I have not received any advice that any of these suggestions have been addressed.

There are also numerous posts on this Forum over the last 12 months discussing ongoing problems with RPP, additional to those listed below.

There is also a basic problem with the .qph file, as the record structure is not robust. Should it become corrupted, a validate process could not easily reconstruct the file. An additional field in the price record could easily overcome this problem and remove some of the corruption problems that are regularly reported on the forum.

It is very disappointing that, based on recent performance, Reckon do not appear to be capable of addressing these issues. How is the 9% price increase justified ?

{extract from email sent on  27 Aug 2014}

Changes to Share Price Download and Security Detail View

7-day Limitation
One of the main annoyances in the share price download facility is the limitation of a 7-day database. There can be many diverse reasons that users are not able to download each week, which provides for gaps in the data. This has always annoyed me and I have requested changes to help fix this problem.  There are a number of changes that could overcome this, including extending the 7-day dataset or improving the .csv import facility.

Why 7 days ?
Could the database be extended to longer. I have written my own external update facility, which I shall discuss later, that provides 7 years of updates. This is limited to company listings on the ASX and has resulted in a dataset of only 15 mb per year. I would anticipate there might be licensing restrictions for Reckon providing this extended data set, especially for S&P indices, but it is not a significant issue. A better approach would be to update the data set from the last time the update was requested or optionally update and correct for selected companies since a specified date. The update verification pop-up could provide a recommended date for possible change.

Import Prices
The import prices .csv format provides for both a short form and a longer form, which includes High, Low and Volume. The extended form appears to be poorly designed and has some limitations or errors with the Volume entry. At present the Volume is imported as Volume/100 and has magnitude test to between 0 to 20,000,000 shares. I would suggest that this is a bug as the 20 million limit should be applied to the input “Volume/100”, rather than the resulting Share Volume. This affects a number of ASX listings, including Telstra, BHP and many lower priced shares. This error should be fixed and a simpler .csv format that inputs Volume directly should be published.

Security Detail View
There are a number of changes that could be easily applied to this feature.
Volume chart: There is a bug in this as the volume is accumulated as a 4-byte integer which overflows above 2 billion shares. This is readily demonstrated with a weekly volume report for 2-year and 5-year Nasdaq plot. The volume should be accumulated as a 4-byte real or 8-byte integer to overcome this problem. It is amazing that the Volume chart has been adapted to actually plot negative volume, rather than correcting the overflow.
Date range: I have always been requesting a 6-month plot, as I find the gap between 3-month and 1-year is too much for identifying recent changes.
Active Companies:  After updating share prices, I typically Highlight the company name box, then use the up-arrow and down-arrow to move between companies. As my data set is now nearly 20 years of companies, there are many companies that are no longer active. I would like an optional box to only list companies that are active. "Active" could be further defined as companies that have some share price data in the selected Date Range. This would improve the usability.
Annual statistics: There are a number of fields in the share price viewer that have never been updated on my implementation; showing N/A. These include 12-month High and Low and average volume. Is there an option for updating this or is this a legacy of implementations in other countries?

Market Indices
Market indices were introduced as Historical indices in about 2004. At that time a number were introduced, including ASX indices, although now only US indices are supplied. They (historical prices) actually benefit from having a dataset longer than 7-days, which is different from the present ASX dataset. These indices need review and more that are relevant for Australian users could be provided and documented. My understanding is that they are provided by the ASX daily downloads.

Share Price Export
I am not aware of the Australian version of RPP ever supporting a historical share price export to a .csv file. This would be a useful feature, as it could be used to assist in identifying missing historical share price information, as well as help maintain non ASX company records.

Photo of Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I would like to complement John on his post. I have lost my historical data base for my share prices. I use quicken for all my share trades and it makes my performance reporting useless. To be able to export a historical csv file is a must
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Chris,

It is possible to export the information to a .csv file, but only for one company at a time.

Try investing > security detail view > update > edit price history > print

select export to .prn file.  This produces a .csv formatted file (with a .prn name !)

Unfortunately, you can not import prices using this same .csv format.

Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Requires new thread

Please reference the new conversation here: Share Price Feedback
Photo of gavin.nicholson.au

gavin.nicholson.au

• 1,434 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Rav. You might want to read back through the "community" posts on what is wrong with this appalling program.

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/why-is-quicken-just-about-the-worst-application-available...
https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/bug-allocation-by-account-graph
https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/what-are-we-paying-an-annual-subscription-for-accounts-pe...
https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/share_price_not_downloading?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5...
https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/reinvest_transaction_for_managed_funds_leaves_negative_ca...
https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/one-step-update-not-working-in-personal-plus-2015
https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/currency-rate-not-up-to-date-after-one-step-update
https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/share-prices-in-reckon-without-upgrading-to-2015?topic-re...

What about in the security detail view on the LH side is a box titled quote. Half of those fields have never worked, Same goes for the portfolio view. You have a choice of around 90 columns but less than half actually work.
What about the flashing portfolio view bug when the program has to do a bunch of calculations
What about the option labelled SHOW in the portfolio view which is populated with a bunch of views carried over from the many years of updates that you cant delete nor add any additional to? (This started about 2008 according to my notes!)
Why does the program show a different Net worth on the different screens around the program? Equally why on a summary screen if you double click on a graph to expand it do the values change? For me on the investing tab ANALYSIS sub-tab there are three graphs on that page all with slightly different values!! (Again same problem since 2008)
Go to the FINANCIAL OVERVIEW tab and some (ie not all) of the account balances there are different to the values in the accounts pane on the LH side.
The bugs are endless and despite the survey every year nothing has changed for 8 or 9 years. Nice going! Hence why I no longer pay for an annual subscription and looking at the posts about the 2016 version - good decision.
Photo of trev cicero

trev cicero

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I agree with these comments.  You never get much that's new with each upgrade.  The tax updates are not worth it.  As far as I can tell Reckon still does not download Australian indices, for example, even though this has been sought by users for years.  My latest gripe is home inventory manager, which is pretty ordinary and I can't find anyway to export data into or out of it.  The help files don't seem to work properly.  I think Reckon spends the minimum it can get away with on development of this product.
Photo of rippedoff

rippedoff

• 310 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
You guys are lucky !!
I dream of just getting the program to run. Sounds like Monty Python but it not funny.
After getting some tec help. Which was reinstall windows ,what fun.
I still can't even open 2015 I paid my subscription and never used it.
I would give anything just to go back to 2013 and make it run to manage my shares.
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

I'm still using RPP 2013, which we received in November 2012 and doing my share price updates manually, backing up all the time. It is running on Win 8.1 and I have avoided all of the problems that have been reported.

I did not install RPP 2015 because of the problems being reported and was hoping to move to Win 10, which would require RPP 2016.

Given the recent history, I'll probably have to wait for RPP 2017 !!

I can't recall any other software package I have used with this performance record; certainly not one who stays in business.

Reckon may have bought the rights to QPP but they don't appear to have the skills to build it to cope with changes to the O/S.  Please show me this statement is incorrect.

(Edited)
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Agree John, it would appear now for a while, that Reckon is struggling to keep up with the changes happening at the OS level or just don't care. I'm not sure which one.

For a while now, the current Reckon desktop product range have had many 'known issues' that have been around since Windows 8 release days (which is now over 3 years ago).

There is talk that the new Reckon Accounts range will be moving away from the MAPI/Outlook setup to SMTP for emails. So hopefully this change alone will address a lot of issues that are appearing. They also need to address the PDF creation issue too, as this seems another major pain point. See what next years RA2016 range brings.

Sadly the RPP product range seems to have another range of issues and no more updates for you guys for another 12 months. Ouch :(

Sort of thankful my investment requirements for tracking of shares is simple and I get away with using Google finance portfolio for tracking my profit/loss. The 'Performance' tab suits me just fine!
Photo of Greg

Greg

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Problem is, where can you find something that does what the old quicken used to do with less hassles,seem to be paying for tax updates yearly, thats it
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 86,628 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We can assure you that we are committed to investing in the Reckon Accounts Personal range. 
As part of the latest release we have been able to deliver the following key enhancements and bug fixes;

Tax Planner
  • Updated for 2015/16
  • Updated Tax Schedule & Tax Line items
  • Updated Tax Alerts 

Reckon Rental Update
  • Updated Rates for 2014, 2015 & 2016

Windows 10
  • Reckon Accounts Personal Range 2016 supported on Windows 10 Home and Pro edition with both 32 and 64 bits of operating system

Office 2016
  • Reckon Accounts Personal Range 2016 supported with Office 2016 32 bit

Tax Code Column in Category List
  • Category List has been added with new column Tax Code. It will display the Tax Code assigned to each Category.

ABN to appear in BAS
  • ABN will be displayed in BAS report. User needs to enter ABN in Invoices/Estimate List on ABN field which will automatically display in BAS report

Show Unpaid Only on Invoices List
  • New check box has been included on Invoice/Estimates list to filter the list to display only the Invoices/Estimates that have not been marked as paid 

Manual Import Of Share Prices
  • Increased the Volume from 200,000 to 2,000,000 for Manual Imports of Share Prices 

Zoom report to be default to being expanded 
  • In Profit and Loss report, when you zoom in on an amount, the zoom report will be default as expanded. In previous versions user needs to double click on accounts or expand all button to view transactions. 

Tax Reports Subtotalled by year
  • Fixed an issue where Tax Reports when filtered by Year would display by Calendar year rather than Financial Year

We certainly hear and take on board the frustration that has been conveyed in this thread in regard to historical issues and feedback. 

We are always, and always will be, open to constructive feedback in relation to our products and services.

In regard to issues that are reported or feedback that is received, our Development team prioritises which issues are addressed based on the severity of the issue, the effect of the issue on our users and how many users are affected by the issue. Other considerations would be the risk involved in fixing the issue in terms of further issues that may develop as a flow-on effect and stability of performance, as well as the amount of work required and at what stage of the development cycle the issue was reported.

When factoring what issues we resolve we also need to take into account the roadmap that we are working towards and ensure that we adequately move towards our strategy while maintaining the product

We will also continue to heavily invest in our cloud product, Reckon One with the view that in the future it will have the same feature set as the Personal range as a more cost effective option.

Until then, we encourage you to continue using our Personal range which is Australia’s leading personal accounting package used by over 41,000 customers!

Thanks
Rav

gavin.nicholson.au

Noting of course that this thread is about Personal Plus so of the ten items you listed as far as I can tell 6 of them are irrelevant (i.e. rental update?, Office 2016, Tax Codes, BAS, Invoices, P&L Report) and I just tried all the Tax Reports and none of them are displaying by calendar year.

So yeah for the actual personal plus users great work on the tax line items, Win10 and share price volumes. Well worth that year of R&D expenditure.
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

For the update of : Manual Import Of Share Prices

• Increased the Volume from 200,000 to 2,000,000 for Manual Imports of Share Prices 

The problem was that volumes were limited to below 20,000,000 and it should have been increased by x 100 to 2,000,000,000. Could you clarify what has been done ?

Photo of Andrew

Andrew

It seems we are missing the 9% price hike from that list of new 'key enhancements'
Photo of Mark_B

Mark_B

I see the response is mainly about addressing issues and "maintaining the product"  I'm happy to say I currently don't have any issues, so I'm interested in new features and notice a considerable lack of new feature in the last 3-5yrs of releases. What the best method to communication or request new features?

The only forward looking statement I noticed was "invest"  in your cloud product Reckon One. Is the intention to continue to develop reckon one for "personal" use?  Currently it appears to be more targeted towards accountants and bookkeepers. So the features I use in personal plus do not seem to be available in Reckon one. Is there a timeframe when Reckon one will have a similar feature set (preferably greater) than Personal Plus?

I understand the challenges the development team have but these are not  uncommon in any SDLC
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Reckon is very pro 'cloud' at the moment Mark_B. All dev resources are focused on the Reckon One platform. The desktop platforms like you have noticed have been barely been in "maintenance" release mode for the last 3+ years. Pretty much when Reckon/Intuit parted ways IMHO they gave up on them/lost the talent/don't have the resources. Doesn't matter which, the outcome is the same.

I say barely as some well known bugs have been around for many releases now. Reckon just points users to the KB on the workarounds rather than addressing them.

We are users of the Reckon Accounts/POS platform for 16 years. Its been the same over there as well, just coasting along with no real new features added, yet we still cough up our yearly licence fee (>$1.2k) for each of the products as we're locked in by the annual licence model.

Its very 'cloud cloud cloud', sadly I think Reckon is turning its back on a existing market. If you treat your desktop users like this, why should they reward Reckon by converting into Reckon Cloud users? There is one reason why they might, but I'm not allow to discuss psychological phenomenons here any more, as I don't have a degree in that field.

As for putting 'feature requests', you can start a new thread here and tag it as a 'Idea' or you can email the idea into advantage@quicken.com.au as well.

You'll get the standard copy/paste reply which will be something along these lines

It's a good idea so I'll put it forward to our developers so they can take it into consideration in their normal development cycle

Its unknown what the "normal development cycle" is that Reckon uses, we have asked here a few times, with no answers.

I've even got this answer with confirmed 'bugs' :/
(Edited)
Photo of Narky One

Narky One

Dear Reckon, 
In order to show that you are genuine about Reckon Accounts Personal Plus's future, please do what other reputable fair dinkum software makers do, and provide publicly accessible:
(A) A full list of known bugs, with your plans as to when and how or if they will be fixed.
(B) A full list of planned enhancements, and when and how you intend to implement them.
(C) A dedicated mechanism for your customers to report bugs, and enhancement requests, and for your customers to review and provide input about others' reports and your plans.
I note that in this area you do not even start to be comparable to Quicken in the USA...
See for example: http://goo.gl/mlyhXg or http://goo.gl/ajnVsu .
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Looking at the Quicken web site: what an incredible difference to what we are expected to tolerate from Reckon.

Did Reckon give any performance guarantees when they took over Australia from Quicken ?

Photo of Andrew

Andrew

The most worrying part, is that Reckons product is built off the USA code base from years back, so lots of those 'bugs' could be waiting for us Australian users!

I do agree, its EXCELLENT service in the USA by Intuit. Its sad Reckon treats its users like this. Intuit Australia sends out monthly email updates for 'whats new' in the QBO product (thye drop new things/updates monthly!!) plus has a whole forum for reporting issues and voting up issues etc and you can chat to tech staff online for free! They're not prefect, but they do seem to be helpful.

Sorry to inform everyone here, but Reckon is now following its old playbook of rules that it follows when users start asking the hard questions like these, they go quiet and ignore the posts, waiting for them to 'flame out'.

Rav is around replying to other posts, but not this thread, cause the users are asking the too hard questions!

We would LOVE to hear from you Reckon......
(Edited)
Photo of Steven

Steven

• 414 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Wow - I am stunned at the scope of this years "upgrade" for RPP for $185. Seems you have confused the word "upgrade" for "update" or "patch".

- Updated personal tax scales - this should be a free update within a month (at the most) of the new rates being announced by ATO.
- Compatible with Windows 10. So what was not working with Win10? I have been using RPP2015 on Win10 since 29 August when it launched with no errors or issues?
- Compatible with Office 2016. Again, what wasn't working? I have Office 2016 and have done a few Excel exports with no errors.
- Tax code, ABN's and Invoices improvements - How is this relevant to Personal users? If I ran a business I'd be using a business product.

Everything else sounds like minor enhancements. I don't see any new whiz bang functionality that would justify paying ANOTHER $185 after paying $145 for last year's update.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

WOW based on your pricing thats 27% price rise compared to last years upgrade costs.
Photo of trev cicero

trev cicero

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So is there a similar alternative to Reckon?  I came across to Quicken from MS Money when it was discontinued.  Transferring all the data is a hassle, but I don't feel as though Reckon is good value for money and it looks like they want to go onto the cloud anyway.
Photo of Steven

Steven

Thanks Andrew, just went back and double checked in my Order History.
The upgrade to RPP2013 was $140 plus $15.99 p&h as I got the DVD/box version.
The upgrade last year to RPP2014 was actually $149 and that was digitally delivered.
So $149 to $185 for the upgrade version is just over 24% price increase for not a lot of new functionality.
I know that if I upgraded every year I could save a bit by getting the annual subscription which this year is listed as $135 but once I do this I am locked into annual upgrades. With the upgrade version it will last until I choose to pay the upgrade cost to a later version. At this point I see no compelling reason to upgrade so will stick with RPP2014.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Even a 24% hike is a lot for what everyone got. IMHO.

Yes the annual subscription is a bit of a catch. We're Reckon Account Enterprise users and this only comes in the annual subscription model. So we're locked into upgrades each year now for that product. We also use Reckon Point of Sale, which has to be upgraded each year as well to work with the NEW Reckon Accounts version when we update, as the POS product is locked to what version of RA it talks to, so they have to be done together :/ So thats also on the yearly upgrade path too. All up its over $1.2k last year in licencing fees.

With the lack of new features, the lack of 'love' from Reckon, I really don't feel we get value for money. We're waiting to see what the 2016 product suite brings, but looking at the RPP2016 product release, I don't have much hope it will bring much!
Photo of Steven

Steven

Hi Trev,
Yes, like you I started with MS Money until the sun sadly set on that bit of software.
I then moved across to Quicken Personal before it then became Reckon. I have looked around and tried Mint and a few others but they just don't do what this current product does pretty well which is ledger based accounting with personal touches like payslips for us wage slaves and investment tools and reasonable reporting all in a single package and customised for Australia.
I just wish they would innovate a bit more with the product is they want to keep charging big dough every year. It just looks the same every year. Yes it is pretty stable which is good for a financial product but it gets a bit boring year after year when they stick their hand out for another upgrade fee just to deliver what I would term as "maintenance patches".
Looking forward I would like to see the Personal Plus version as a cloud based application like Reckon One. The Official Rep John G suggested Reckon One as a personal finances solution at the top of this thread but it looks much more business focused to me. Not sure how it lines up on price either.
Photo of Steven

Steven

I just went and setup a Reckon One trial and it is totally business focussed and completely unsuitable for my PERSONAL accounting needs. Oh well.
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Why would Reckon recommend a product that is not suitable for personal needs ? Aren't they across what personal finance software should do ?

I have been using Q/RPP for 20 years. Over the last 5 years, all we have received is maintenance updates. The most worrying aspect of this is even these maintenance updates have not been done competently. There appear to be more cases where the released version does not keep up with operating system changes and Reckon do not appear to be on top of the technical requirements to build the new version.

The time it took to fix the loss of the ASX share price feed shows that Reckon do not sufficiently understand the technology being used.

It appears we will continue to pay our annual licence for a failing and fading product until we jump to something more reliable. I am already duplicating my quicken database in an Excel spreadsheet as a backup and have developed my own independent share price update facility. It is amazing that I am coming to accept that this simple spreadsheet is doing what I need.

In the past I have contacted Reckon and suggested changes that could improve the product but unfortunately, for all our cajoling, Reckon do not appear to be interested in lifting their performance.

(Edited)
Photo of Andrew Hellier

Andrew Hellier, Employee

• 3,834 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi John and Steven.

Thank you both for your ongoing comments and feedback.

For the consideration of others viewing this thread I want to clarify Reckon Ones suitability to track personal finances.

The Reckon One Core module is perfectly capable of tracking general household income ,expenses, budgets and bank accounts. However if you are using Reckon Personal Plus as a tool to track investments and manage your share portfolio then Reckon One will not to be suitable.

I am aware there is a large portion of users who use Personal Plus for this functionality however this is definitely not 100% of the user base or all the potential new users.

If anyone would like to have a chat about how Reckon One can help you manage your general household finances please email me your details at one@reckon.com and the team will be in touch.

Cheers,

Andrew Hellier

(Edited)
Photo of Steven

Steven

Hi Andrew,

I did indeed sign up for the Reckon One trial as I am very interested in moving to an online personal accounting solution that is not tied to one Windows PC. While you acknowledge that Reckon One does not handle Investments/Shares, the proposition that it can handle general household income and expenses is at this point a little fanciful.

The main reason I say this is in the setup process. The setup wizard is totally business focussed in setting up a chart of accounts as well as suppliers and customers. There is then the concepts of receiving revenue as well as making payments. Again total business focus.

Yes you can set up your chart of accounts with categories for personal items such as Salary, and Groceries and Mobile Phone bills but you really need to start from scratch to achieve this outcome. The chart of accounts also display codes for accounts rather than using the category name itself like Personal Plus does. This makes it much harder for the average individual user.

Then there is the concept of doing journals and reconciliations which again are much more straightforward and simplified in the Personal products. 

I only played with Reckon One for about an hour before being totally turned off by the sheer amount of work involved in setting up my accounts and categories to get it looking like they way I would like to operate.

If you offered a version of Reckon One that had a template Chart of Accounts that were structured for personal and household expenses then I would be happy to take another look. 

Don't get me wrong - I actually really like Personal Plus as a product but yes I would like more online/app interaction rather than being tied to a single Windows computer. My day job is in system administration for an SAP Accounting system (SAP is the largest corporate accounting system in the world).  I like the way Personal Plus hides away some of the accounting stuff like codes for vendors and ledger accounts and has customised entry screens for things like salaries and dividends. I can't see any other product that offers all this for personal users in one package.

I just baulk at paying year after year for upgrades when the actual changes are little more than what I would see as maintenance patches. 

Regards
Steven
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Oh Reckon, you're very protective of your Reckon One product. Quick to defend every short coming with it! I'm sure down the track, you'll have a Personal module, but in the mean time, its ok if Reckon One isn't for personal use.

Steven - Have you looked at the other cloud products? Quickbooks Online? Waveapps has a FREE online cloud product that works for Australia, seems to have a personal area as well, bank feeds etc. I've been having a play with it recently and the price is great! ;)
Photo of Andrew Hellier

Andrew Hellier, Employee

• 3,834 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi Steven.

Thank you for your further comments.

I like your idea of a standard template for household accounts I will make this known to the Reckon One product manager.

You are right in saying the initial chart of accounts configuration can be time consuming if starting from scratch however once is done its done and you would only need to return to modify these if your financial situation changes.

I am not quite sure I follow your comments on the account codes as they are an optional field. When initially configuring your chart of accounts and adding\removing accounts in the application the account name is clearly visible.

Regards Andrew

Photo of Mark_B

Mark_B

I'm confused, so is this the forum for making requests for new feature and/or enhancements or "submit feedback on reckon accounts" button in the application?

I've made simple requests (things like, provision for offset accounts and colour coding of transactions) both on the forums and through the "submit feedback" button but over the last 5yrs nothing has eventuated. Are these really getting "passed on to developers" or are we just getting passed off?
(Edited)
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Mark_B, its a confusing path to follow, but no one really knows how Reckon works out what to add in new versions. Based on release notes for new features, either do they!

I don't fully understand the "passed on to developers" either, as developers shouldn't be the ones making the choices on WHAT should be done or not. They are the ones who do the code crunching to make the 'magic' happen.

Like you, we have had lots of 'simple' things put forward, all been "passed on to developers", still waiting to see something come of it!

Reckon, can you expand on the process? I have raised it elsewhere, that some type of voting system for 'new features' needs to be brought in, so users can up vote ideas etc so Reckon can using a voting system for WHAT THE USERS WANT to see come into the product.

gavin.nicholson.au

You are assuming that they want to actually do any tangible improvements to the product. Have a look at the top of this thread where the 2016 "improvements" are listed and the subsequent comments.
Photo of Mark_B

Mark_B

I think its far to conclude then there will be no further development of this product just minor maintenance releases so the product remains "current" and they can continue to sell it.

If we want more, its time to start looking elsewhere.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

@Mark_B
You're more than welcome to utilise either available option to bring forward suggestions for product improvement. While we encourage you to use the in-product option, in regard to the Reckon Community, our teams certainly take in feedback provided from our 'Ideas' area.

@Andrew
There are a number of stakeholders involved in every stage of a new release or changes. Our Development team takes a large role as they are the experts on ensuring any additions to the product maintain integrity, stability, performance and value. I've expanded on other aspects of the process in my post above.

I do agree that a voting system is a great idea in terms of identifying and developing a 'most wanted list' of potential future improvements in a central and visible area. This is something that I'm looking at implementing within the Community in the new year depending on available functionality.

Cheers
Rav
(Edited)
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Look forward to the voting system Rav...... I can't take credit for coming up with the idea. Your competition does this and seems to work very well for them, as they action the top requested features. So lets Hope Reckon can do the same!
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Rav,

You posted:

Our Development team takes a large role as they are the experts on ensuring any additions to the product maintain integrity, stability, performance and value

This really does not resemble the performance of the RPP development outcomes over the last 5 years. It is very annoying to see cheap slogans like this posted, while ignoring the bulk of user posts that complain of nothing being done.

Is this what the Reckon community has become ?

John

Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Further, I would be interested to know:

Did the security detail view go through the development process you claim ?

Or the manual import of share prices go through the development process you claim ?

Both would perform much better that they do at present if even a basic but competent review was carried out.

Photo of john w w

john w w

• 70 Points
Using the latest version of Personal Plus 5, we are disappointed at Reckon's lack of support & product development.  
I am still trying to get the share price update working long term. It worked between ~ 10/11/15 & 18/11/15, but then back to nil.  The update arrow just keeps turning till I close the program.   
We paid for a program, and have receive a 1/2 program.  What better programs are available ?  John W

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.