Reckon Personal Plus upgrade deleted 4 yrs of transactions and reconciliations on one account

Margaret Sutherland
Margaret Sutherland Member Posts: 6
I upgraded Reckon Personal Plus 2018 to 2019. As is usual (and which I loathe about Reckon), I had to recreate my file from the 2018 backup copy), as an upgrade doesn't carries transaction records forward.

For all but one of the accounts, it carried across the transactions.  On the remaining account, it created hundreds of phantom recurrent and scheduled transactions that had been terminated years before.

For ALL accounts, it deleted FOUR YEARS of reconciliations.

Any clues as to how to get the correct data back?

Comments

• Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    Robyn Kelly (Partner) Accredited Partner Posts: 473 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited September 2019
    Margaret I'm not sure of the process that you take to upgrade the data file but I have upgraded many data files and all of the transactions come across mostly without problems.

Can you please explain what process you take to upgrade your data file please?

Regards, Robyn Kelly
  • Margaret Sutherland
    edited December 2018
    Thanks for your reply Robyn
    • R2018 - Backup File to USB
    • Uninstall R2018
    • Install R2019
    • Check date of last backup
    • Restore file from backup using Reckon backup
    All but one account in the appeared to have up to date transactions. The remaining account had deleted recent transactions - but inserted hundreds of "scheduled " transactions, that had been stopped three years earlier.

All accounts in the file had lost all reconciliations since 2014.

regards

Margaret
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    Robyn Kelly (Partner) Accredited Partner Posts: 473 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited September 2019
    My suggestion is that I would need to see the USB backup - and triple check the date last modified on those files you backed up.  Is it at all possible that you had multiple files backed up and somehow restored the incorrect one?  Are you definitely clicking on File > Restore Backup File and then Restore Backup.... again?  Not just selecting no 1 in the list? 
    Did you perform a validate and super validate prior to backing up initially?
    I would be deleting the scheduled transactions if they are no longer needed in the Scheduled Bills / Deposits List, if you have already done that it makes no sense that they are appearing again.
    I would need to have a look to make sure of these thoughts but I do believe you may have restored an older version.
    Regards, Robyn Kelly
  • Margaret Sutherland
    edited December 2018
    Hi Robyn

Thanks.

While Reckon has complicated labelling of the backups, I'm confident I restored from the most recent backup.

I had a closer look at some of the accounts.in the file. I've now noticed that the ONLY transactions that were restored since 2014 were scheduled and recurring transactions - even after the scheduled & recurring ones were terminated at the time. The upgrade did not restore all the one-offs or variable ones that I directly manually entered over the years (many thousands of them).

Yes I did a validate. Not sure what Super Validation is, but I'll check the guide again.

Before I go back to restore an earlier backup, may I ask a further question: Does Backup actually backup everything in the accounts? ie does it do multiple files for manual transactions, scheduled ones etc. That might explain what went wrong.

Robyn, thanks again for your assistance. Much appreciated.

regards

Margaret

• Margaret Sutherland
    edited December 2018
    Hi Diver Dave

I agree with your comment. However, this year RPP2019 opened but did not carry across the file.I went back through the update guide and am pretty surely I followed it correctly.

However you've given me another thought and that is to go back to the 2018 directory and try and load from there.

Thanks

Margaret
  • Margaret Sutherland
    edited December 2018
    Hi Diver Dave - No business tab. Just the usual Home, Cash Flow, Investing, Property & Debt, Financial Overview.

Margaret
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    edited September 2019
    Margaret, before uninstalling your 2018 version did you take note of where the data file was actually located on your computer? I would suggest doing a search on your computer for all *.QDF files and see how many come up and see where their locations are on your computer.  The program should have also automatically backed up the data file for you when you were using the last version.
    Regards, Robyn Kelly
  • Margaret Sutherland
    edited December 2018
    Hi Diver Dave and Robyn

I went back to RPP 2018 - of course it was uninstalled as part of the upgrade, wasn't it? :)   :)

Then after discussions with you both, I figured that if the file was SUPPOSED to have been carried forward, then it must be lurking somewhere in C:\Program for 2019. Sure enough, I found a couple of likely candidates.

Interestingly (or I suppose logically), it had the same name as the backup file.

All is now well, and the reconciliations are working and up-to-date.

Thank you both for your help, which is much appreciated. It must be hard to think of possible solutions when you can't see into another person's systems.

Hope you both have a great Christmas break.

Regards

Margare