Reckon portal single touch payroll 401 unauthorised error

• Question
  • Updated 3 days ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
When I log into reckon portal to do single touch payroll, I choose Reckon GovConnect, enter my code and then I am getting full red screen saying 401: unauthorised. I had been using this before and haven't changed anything. Help please.

Photo of Janine

Janine

• 262 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 63,284 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Janine,
This message means that there is a permission issue with what you're trying to access.

Are you a shared user of the GovConnect STP service with any other users? If so, the cause is most likely that the STP entity has not been shared correctly by following this process but rather you've been added as a 'Staff' member in the Reckon Portal
Photo of Frank

Frank

• 70 Points
I am also experiencing the same issue, I was lodging STP files on Friday and now i'm getting the same error, nothing has changed on my end!
Photo of Janine

Janine

It is not shared, I am the only user.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi guys,
Can you please clear your browser cache AND cookies, once that is done close your browser before retrying.

Can you please let me know how you get on after this.
Photo of Janine

Janine

I get the error and have to clear my cookies almost every time. (Still not shared, so it’s not that). It’s rather frustrating. I hope a solution is in the works. So far the portal has been nothing but an annoyance. I’m not looking forward to doing BAS on there too.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Ok in that case, the only other reason for this error message is due to the MFA token expiring.

What this means is, when you login and launch the GovConnect STP entity, you are required to verify using Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA). This is valid for 12 hours provided that you stay logged in. If you keep the browser window open for longer than this time period or don't logout properly, the MFA that was used will expire and you will be presented with this error message if attempting to access any STP functions without reauthenticating your MFA again.

So to cut a long story short, the easiest way to solve this is to trigger your MFA. You can do this by simply logging completely out of the Reckon Portal once you've finished working in it by using the Sign Out option in the top right corner.
Once you log back in you will be asked to verify your MFA as normal and after doing this you will be able to access normal functions.
Photo of Bob Hale

Bob Hale

• 590 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
The first time I logged in today (the first time in 3 weeks I entered the MFA and got the error.
I have just logged out and in again and am still getting the red 401.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Open an incognito tab and try logging in there please. Let me know if there's any difference.
Photo of Bob Hale

Bob Hale

• 590 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Yes - that works fine
Photo of Janine

Janine

Yes! Clearing cookies and cache fixed it for me. Thanks!

I hope this makes it into a troubleshooting guide somewhere (unless it already is and I just didn't find it).