Reckon won't back-up. Files. Launcher isn't responding.

Ben Shaw
Ben Shaw Member Posts: 10
Have used Quicken/Reckon for 17 years. No problems. Have had Reckon Personal 2017 for a while now. Using Windows 10. No problems....THEN.... Can start Reckon by clicking on my data file, but can't back-up that file. It saves my additions to the file when I exit, but the only way I can "back-up" my data is to exit Reckon, then manually copy the data file to another location, e.g., my external hard drive. I gimageet lots of "launcher not responding" errors. Error codes 7176 and 7189. Have uninstalled and reinstalled Reckon but that didn't solve the problem. Totally frustrated. I am not a business and just use Reckon to manage my personal finances and deal with tax filing.

Comments

• Shane_6461899
    Shane_6461899 Reckon Staff Posts: 339 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2020
    Hi Ben,

This may be due to the file name being long.  Try renaming the file to 7 or less characters.  You can rename the file by going to File, File Operations, Rename.

If you can't rename it that way, you can rename the .QDF file and all the associated files such as .QEL, QIN, QPH, QTX, IDX, HCX, through Windows file explorer.

Once the file name is shorten, try to backup again.

Regards,
    Shane.
  • Ben Shaw
    edited January 2018
    Hi Shane, thanks for the idea, but unfortunately it didn't help anything. I shortened the names of all the files then clicked on the QDF file to get things started. I put in a "test transaction" and then hit save. It DID save it.....the first time. I then deleted the "test transaction" and tried to save the file. BOOM, no luck. Error 7179. I then tried to launch Reckon from my start menu and it just hung and never booted up. Same problems as before and same errors as before. Very perplexing. I really need to get this sorted out. Rather than spending $8,000,000 talking to some tech fellow at $5 a minute, I'm thinking that I might as well just buy Reckon Personal 2018 and start using it....after uninstalling 2017. Anyone reading this got any other ideas.
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    Robyn Kelly (Partner) Accredited Partner Posts: 473 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited September 2019

Ben, can you please click on FILE (top left) and then at 1. near the bottom, can you please let me know the location of your data file?  Often Reckon prefers to be in the default location (Documents > Quicken / Reckon).  I have a feeling your data file could be sitting in another location?

Regards, Robyn Kelly

• Ben Shaw
    edited January 2018
    Hi Robyn. My data file is in C:\Users\bshaw\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP\Reckon Accounts 2016-2017. That's where it has been since July 1, 2016 and Reckon never had a problem with it. I had a problem with my Ctrl-C (copy) function not working as well, so I went to Microsoft support to see what they could figure out. They said that an update had failed miserably and that my operating system had been corrupted a bit AT THE SAME TIME I started having Reckon problems. They tried to restore my system to a time before the update, but when they did, my computer wouldn't even boot up. BUT, I was able to restore it to the date where we started and it is working again, BUT Reckon 2018 acts just like 2017 did. So, I'm taking my computer in tomorrow to my computer guru to see if he can sort out the Windows problem. I'm thinking that might then fix the Reckon issue as well.
  • Ben Shaw
    edited February 2018
    Hi Robyn et al, My drama with Reckon 2018 continues. I took my computer to my computer gurus who checked everything. They restored everything and made sure that everything worked properly. Everything works perfectly normally on my computer EXCEPT Reckon 2018 (and 2017). I received the CD of Reckon 2018 so I uninstalled 2018 that was on my computer, then reinstalled it directly from the CD. My program files are in C:\Program Files (x86)\Reckon Accounts Personal. This is where the CD installation put them. I decided to test out the new version and created a new "Test.QDF" file with some data I manually put into the file. I backed it up and THE FIRST TIME, all seemed to go well. After that, however, everything degenerated into the same problems I've been having. Launcher won't launch. Reckon will launch by clicking directly on my QDF file, but won't back-up and usually won't relaunch again until I restart my computer. I must have sent 50 "reports" to Reckon over the past couple of weeks. This is nuts. Since all I use Reckon for is managing my own finances and tax preparation, I've downloaded "Microsoft Access for Dummies," and am seriously considering giving up on Reckon and just using Microsoft Access 2010 which I have on my computer. Access is not as convenient as Reckon, but spending 10-15 hours a week trying to get Reckon to work is just getting too frustrating. If anyone out there has any further ideas, I'd be most grateful. Would really like to continue using Reckon since switching over to Access will be a bit of a pain in the ****....but if Reckon won't work.....
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    Robyn Kelly (Partner) Accredited Partner Posts: 473 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited September 2019

Hi Ben

I note a couple of matters in your email:

1. You installed, then uninstalled and then installed again.  Often there are left over remnants of the program that should be fully uninstalled.  I have this knowledge base article that may help:

http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=4333

2. When installing, did the computer "guru" read the installation guide?  Run as Administrator & Snooze anti virus?

https://www.reckon.com/au/downloads-guides/

3. In regards to the Launcher not launching there are a few knowledge base articles and as I am uncertain of the exact problem you are having, here is the knowledge base search:

http://kb.reckon.com.au/search.asp?cate=16&search=launch&type=3&mode=search

If you Search In: Personal Range and

Search: Launch

You will see a few articles appear.  Choose the best option that you are finding.

I am happy to help outside this forum if you can't find the solution this way or by calling the support line: robyn@robynkelly.com.au

Regards, Robyn Kelly

• Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    edited September 2019
    Also try this solution that Rav just posted: http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=5442
  • Ben Shaw
    edited February 2018
    Brilliant Robyn! Many thanks!! Tomorrow is busy, but I'll try all of this ASAP. My Guru didn't install Reckon...I did afterwards, so I'll pay particular attention to points 1 and 2. Thanks for all the help. Will be in touch as soon as I get a chance to concentrate on your suggestions.