Reckon crashes when select 'Create Payment' for payroll

Kevin_6756477
Kevin_6756477 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2018 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
We use ReckonAccounts Premier Manufacturing and Wholesale Edition 2013 and quite regularly when we do a payroll run the program will crash when we select Create Payment. We have learnt that doing three rebuilds (File - Utilities - Rebuild Data) in a row will then resolve the problem. Any ideas how we can avoid this problem?

Comments

• Sally McIntosh, Accredited Consultant
    Sally McIntosh, Accredited Consultant Accredited Partner Posts: 468 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017

Hi Kevin, when you say crash, does it just turn to not responding or do you actually receive the shut down message? Also, have you tried running in single user mode? What about processing from a different computer? Also, have you tried only paying a few staff at a time to see if perhaps one employee's record has become corrupt? Or perhaps it is a payroll item that you are using which has become corrupt? Feel free to email me directly at sally@samsolutions.com.au if you need to. Kind regards, Sally
  • Chris Clough
    Chris Clough Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2018
    Hi Sally,
    Don't know if this thread is still current and Open.

I have a similar issue.  It existed in Reckon Accounts Pro 2014 and still exists in Reckon Accounts Premier 2015. 

If I am working in Reckon, doing transactions etc, and then select Payroll, it crashes with the shutdown message.  Restart the program  and open payroll and everything works fine.  This is consistent and repeatable.  It happens on more than one company and also happens in the sample company so I don;t believe it is a data issue within my companies.

It has got to the stage that, before I try payroll, I restart the program as a matter of course.

I am using Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit machine.  The machine was recently rebuilt from the ground up with a clean install of Windows, but the problem still exists.  I am operating in single user mode with 1 user only.  The data resides on my local machine with the program.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Christopher
  • Sally McIntosh, Accredited Consultant
    Sally McIntosh, Accredited Consultant Accredited Partner Posts: 468 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017

Hi Chris,

Yes I have seen this happen before.

It's like it is a memory issue. When you click on payroll it overloads the system and thus crashes.

Like you, if you log out/close the software and log back in it seems to be fine.

Not sure what else I can do to help, sorry!

Do you have your Open Windows List showing on the left hand side of your screen so you can see what windows you have open which would be taking up "memory" also. If not it's in the View drop down menu.

Kind regards,

Sally McIntosh (Sally@samsolutions.com.au)

• KarrynD
    KarrynD Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2015
    The exact same happens to me every week. I am thinking the program needs to close and reopen to calculate something (unsure what). I have tried logging out and back in before selecting pay employees and have no trouble, only happens if selecting 'pay employees' without logging out. Would love to find a solution also.
  • Reckon FAQs
    Reckon FAQs Reckon Staff Posts: 357 Reckon Staff
    edited September 2015
    Hi Karryn,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

Do you have "Track expenses by Job" ticked?
    If yes, then untick it and try again.  full details at this KB.

regards,
    John

• KarrynD
    KarrynD Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2015
    No John I don't, thanks anyway
  • Reckon FAQs
    Reckon FAQs Reckon Staff Posts: 357 Reckon Staff
    edited September 2015
    Hi KarrynD,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

Crashes generally occur when a corruption is encountered.  The challenge with a complex process like payroll is finding the element that is corrupt, as there are so many inputs to the process.

Start by doing a Rebuild and then a Verify and checking the QBWin.log file (Ctrl+1 > Ctrl+2 > Open File >) and follow up on any errors found.  Search the knowledgebase on any error messages you find.

When that process is complete create a Portable File (.QBM) and restore it.  

Hope this gets you closer to a resolution.

regards,
    John