ReckonAccounts Personal 2013 Windows 7 to Windows 10 - Unable to Start New Computer / Software

Robert Wynne
Robert Wynne Member Posts: 1

Have just updated to Windows 10 and am using Personal 2013. The Reckon program will not open but gives the following message "This does not appear to be the same computer that your software was originally installed on. You will need to contact Reckon to update your Licence".

By the way it is the same computer - no changes there except that I have migrated from 7 to 10.

I have tried to log on as the Administrator but still comes up with the same message - don't appear to be able to get around this.

PS can we reload the original software?

Any suggestions greatly received.

Comments

• Reckon FAQs
    Reckon FAQs Reckon Staff Posts: 357 Reckon Staff
    edited March 2017
    Hi Robert,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

When you upgrade to a new operating system you change the identity of your PC which makes it appear to be a different PC to the Reckon Accounts Personal license file.  Just go through and activate your product again.  If the activation across the internet fails, please ring Customer Service on 1300 784253 for a manual activation.

Hope this gets you going again.

regards,
    John

• Simon_8100089
    Simon_8100089 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2016
    Hi John.

Unfortunately  activation is not an option provided, so the suggestion isn't very useful.

The only option when the error box immediately appears is to agree to purchase additional copies (which you don't want to do) and then in the next screen enter the same installation key you entered last time. It then lets you in but insists you register immediately. When you click on the Register button it comes up with another window which returns the following error:

Server Error in '/' Application. Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool.  This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool.  This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached.

You then get asked whether or not to cancel registration. If you say no, it leaves you with the error. If you say yes, it throws you out of the product.  

I really wish there was more competition to this ancient and unusable product that Reckon milks it's users for year after year with no improvement in the old, buggy platform it's been running on forever. :(

Simon

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi Simon,

Welcome to the Reckon Community and I'm sorry you are having difficulties activating the programme.

The error you got is a temporary one and trying again in half an hour should usually get you in.

When you're taken to the Reckon Accounts Activation Update screen, go directly to Step 2 and choose the option Apply the renewal automatically using the internet.  

Please try again.  

If you continue getting errors, then you'll need to activate by phone.  Click on the View button in Step 1 to get the Product key you'll have to quote to the Customer Service Representative,

Hope to have you activated soon.  

regards,
    John

• Simon_8100089
    edited March 2016
    I was able to activate within 24 hours for which I am thankful. Unfortunately the fact that Reckon think that an unhandled exception is a reasonable outcome for a user trying to activate tells me everything I need to know about the quality of your codebase.

This product is many years overdue for a complete re-write.

Simon
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi Simon,

Glad to hear you are up and running.  

For a more technologically up-to-date product please check out the suitability of Reckon One for your needs.

regards,
    John

• Simon_8100089
    edited March 2016
    Hi John. I don't run a small business - when is Reckon Accounts Personal going to be released on a modern platform/codebase/UX?

Simon