ReckonAccounts Personal Plus subscription switch to upgrade version

p9wwwy
p9wwwy Member Posts: 5
I have a subscription to ReckonAccounts Personal Plus 2015 which has recently expired.  I want to switch to owning the software.  If I purchase an upgrade to this software, can I just type in the installation key into the software to register it?

When I go to the Reckon estore for ReckonAccounts Personal Plus 2015 (http://estore.reckon.com.au/75/10/Accounts-Personal-Plus/more) I see upgrade as an option only after I login (so it must think I qualify for an upgrade - last outright version I owned was Quicken v6 according to the website).

Secondly, if I want to move the software to a new computer in the future, can I just install the upgrade or do I have to install the last outright version and then the upgrade over that?  (I have had to do the latter in the past for Quickbooks v7 upgrade from v4 - was very difficult - I guess it would be very difficult to get Quicken v6 running on Windows 7).

Comments

• Graham Boast
    Graham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 331 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2017
    Hi P9
    • owning a previous registered version is sufficient eligibility for an upgrade - even if it was v6  (1999 - the Y2K version)
    • the software no longer looks for previous registered versions, so you would just install the latest version
    Graham Boast 0409317366
    Reckon Accredited Consultant
    graham@reckonhelp.com.au
    http://reckonhelp.com.au/remotesupport.htm

Graham Boast | 0409 317366 | graham@reckonhelp.com.au

• p9wwwy
    edited June 2015
    Thanks Graham.

Do you have an idea when the 2016 version will be released?
  • Gavin Nicholson
    Gavin Nicholson Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2015
    Looks like you can save yourself a few dollars by purchasing a full version elsewhere. Reckon wants $250 via their website but Officeworks has it for $239.
  • Graham Boast
    Graham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 331 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2017
    Better still - but I may be biased.

http://reckonhelp.com.au/RAP_Range.htm#Reckon_Accounts_Personal_Plus

Graham Boast 0409317366
    Reckon Accredited Consultant
    graham@reckonhelp.com.au
    http://reckonhelp.com.au/remotesupport.htm

Graham Boast | 0409 317366 | graham@reckonhelp.com.au

• Roger Hawcroft
    Roger Hawcroft Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2015
    I would advise you to give away Reckon products altogether.  Their processes for activation are problematic at best and downright inconvenient at any time.  Their service is appalling and they destroyed what was a pefectly good Intuit Quicken product when they took it over.  I had a similar situation to yourself and have got nowhere useful in trying to fix it with Quicken.  I might add that this has nothing to do with the support staff, who have been as helpful as they can but are bound by ridiculous limits which evidently don't even allow them to advise a supervisor's name or email or that of a senior executive of the firm - despite the fact that much of this information is in the public domain.

What alternative software sill suit depends on what exactly you neet to do.  iBank is a very promising product with clean interface, extremely easy import of files from other programs and fair pricing.  YNAB is another excellent and fairly priced product that does far more than the average personal accounting software.  Intuit is also redesigning Quicken from the ground up and has a first release of Quicken 2015 though it has copped much unfair criticism because it has less features, right now, than the older versions - however that is because it is being completely rebuilt and the developers are completely upfront about that and offer a 60 day trial period which is pretty fair in my book.  With what I know of Intuit's past history, the future will be good for Qucken which was always the best personal accounting software.

Hope you resolve your problems and get set up again quickly.
  • gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 802 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2016
    Excellent!

Nice offer, Graham.  This sound like it would suit this chap very well, as he is already familiar with the product,  and your website offers a solution at a very fair price indeed.  Nice gesture.

Gary
  • p9wwwy
    edited June 2015
    Thanks Graham, and a good price.  Up and running now.

Bought an upgrade and I didn't need to reinstall - I just put in the Installation Key Code.
  • gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 802 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017
    On a more positive note, p9wwwy  Graham has pointed you in a good direction here,  and Gavin has demonstrated Grahams's offer is a very reasonable approach.  So,  what mnore can the Community do to satisfy the question for you?   If the solution explained in this article makes sence, this solution could be published for others to equally enhjoy.

Gary Pope
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant  (VIC. Aust)

"Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
          independent IT Professional
    and retired FCPA Accountant"

• p9wwwy
    edited June 2015
    As I wrote above, I bought an upgrade from Graham at reckonhelp.com.au for a discount from the RRP (and not much more than the annual fee from Reckon).  I didn't need to reinstall - I just put in the Installation Key Code.

I do understand and agree with Roger and thanks for his suggestions for alternatives.  However I don't want to adopt a new product so my effort is applied to a spreadsheet and I just keep Reckon Accounts Personal Plus for historical continuity recording share transactions.

Also according to Reckon customer service, RAPP 2016 will be released in Q4.