Reckon Accounts 2013 install stuck at Installing Microsoft Runtime

Stuart Hinks
Stuart Hinks Member Posts: 3
edited February 2017 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
I have a Windows7 Pro PC which previously ran QuickbooksPro 2011/12. I was recently forced to upgrade as the software would not allow me to activate it. I pad $414 for the subscription ReckonAccounts 2013.

When I run the setup (as Administrator) it sits at the Installing Microsoft Runtime Library and wont proceed.

I have un-installed the previous version and I have even tried using the QuickBooksInstallDiagnosticTool from the US website.

I emailed last week or support and got NO RESPONSE I find it unbelievable that you can pay $414 and you are hen forced to pay $4.90 per min to be put on hold and then possibly solve the problem.

I have worked in IT for 20 years and this is by far the worst software support I have ever come across.

Comments

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi Stuart,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

Sorry to hear of your problem installing.

Firstly, have you tried installing again?  There is a chance that after the Runtime Library was installed it merely failed to continue with the Accounts Business installation.

Secondly, when you start the installation again, do so in Run as Administrator mode.  Open the root directory of the DVD, right click on setup.exe and select Run as Administrator.  This will ensure that the installation process has full permissions to your PC and Registry.  

Trust this gets you up and running quickly.

Regarding support, you mentioned purchasing a Subscription license.  This license is specifically sold without support.  An upgrade license (and a full version license) does come with 12 months free telephone support.    

regards,
    John

• Stuart Hinks
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for the reply John, I have tried to install a number of time, including running as administrator.

What happens each time is that vcredist_x86.exe uses 50% of the CPU and never completes. 

I have uninstalled all C++ Re-distributable and downloaded and installed the 2005 C++ from Microsoft but it still tries to install it.

I repeat my frustration of the lack of support for an annual subscription, in total across 3 years Reckon will receive more revenue from this method than an outright purchase so I see no reason why this method should be punished. I will certainly not encourage any of my clients to use Quickbooks in the future after this poor service.
  • John G
    edited February 2017
    Hi Stuart,

Sorry that your problem is persisting.

The next option to try is to install in Selective Startup.  See our guide at:  http://kb.reckon.com.au//issue_view.asp?ID=4820

Trust you have more success with this method.  

The Subscription license does allow you to keep up-to-date with the latest features of the products and where using payroll, the latest tax tables.  The difference between the Subscription cost and the Advantage membership represents good value for ongoing telephone and email support.  

We do have other products that sell on a subscription basis and offer telephone support which you may want to explore - Reckon Accounts Hosted and now Reckon One.  

regards,
    John

• Stuart Hinks
    edited June 2014
    Still no joy, there is obviously an issue in that the install is not recognising that C++ Re-distributable is already installed.

I think the only thing to do now is completely reload the PC as I have tested the install on another PC and its fine. 

Disappointing given that 11/12 worked fine on this PC and the only reason I upgraded was to fix the issue with activation.

Stuart
  • John G
    edited February 2017
    Sorry to hear the problem is persisting, Stuart.

Please check that you do have the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable  [(x86) if you have a 64-bit PC] installed:

If not, please download and install from Microsoft and not from our disk.  Then try again.

If the problem persists, then you will need to clean uninstall all Accounts Business and QuickBooks installations you have on this PC and re-install in Selective Startup Mode logged in as the built-in Administrator.

You'll find a guide on a clean unistall at: http://kb.reckon.com.au//issue_view.asp?ID=331 .

Hope this does the trick.

regards,
    John.

• Terri_6895847
    Terri_6895847 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2014
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Accounts Accounting 2013 won't install on Windows 8.1 PC. I have purchased Reckon Accounts Accounting 2013 and am trying to install it on a Windows 8.1 PC that was successfully running the Trial version (now expired today). The Installation is interrupted after the Microsoft Runtime Library is installed and the install shield gets to the Close all Programs step. Do I need to uninstall the trial version? I have disabled my anti virus, disconnected the internet, run the install as administrator for both upgrade and new user and still get the same error. Please help me as I have loads of work waiting.
  • Mirko
    Mirko Alumni Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Hey Terri, Welcome to the Community. I'm sorry to hear you have had troubles installing the full version. Please try the steps listed above by John. It may also be beneficial to have a look at: https://community.reckon.com.au/reckon/topics/reckon_accounts_windows_8_0_8_1_ie10_11

Thanks,
    Mirko
  • Kyle_7089685
    Kyle_7089685 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2014
    How is this solved? Plus terri's error is different to stuart's. I have the same issue as stuart.

Installation gets just past entering serial and then 2sec into installation I get: Error2  There was a problem installing "microsoft runtime library".  Then it exits the installer.  I have downloaded 64bit version of c++ and .net 2.0. run as admin, disabled firewall, antivirus and network. What is going on?  This is happening on both a win8 and win7 pc.
  • Hoang
    Hoang Alumni Posts: 48
    edited September 2014
    Hi Kyle,

Have you try the above suggestion by doing a clean uninstall and reinstall of Reckon Accounts?

The instructions can be found in the below kb article.

http://kb.reckon.com.au//issue_view.asp?ID=331

Regards,
    Hoang