ReckonAccounts Pro 2013 corrupting data

Options
David Stafford_6739738
David Stafford_6739738 Member Posts: 3
edited August 2016 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)

So frustrated.

Our QBW file is corrupted.  Going through our backups, it appears to have been corrupted since we started using ReckonAccounts Pro 2013 last December.

I have restored the data file that was our starting point which was converted from a previous version and saved when we first installed the current version.  I have run a verify on it and it comes up clean.  I then start re-entering transactions, including the memorised  transactions, in order so that they match the copies of the invoices that we have.

After a number of transactions were entered, I ran a backup so I wouldn't lose the work I had done.  The backup reports that there is a problem with the data file and that it has to run a verify.  The backup completes, the verify completes with errors logged to qbwin.log

A quick check of "open invoices" then displays a number of invoices showing as unpaid that have been paid long ago - even as far back as 2000.

We have been through this process twice now with exactly the same result.  I suspect that this version of ReckonAccounts is having difficulty running on Windows 8.1 and/or in 64-bits and/or with 16 Gb of RAM.

Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, what's the solution?

David

Comments

• David Stafford_6739738
    edited July 2014
    Options

More information comes to light as we re-run the upgrade process and check data at every step.

Seems that the upgrade process takes all our pre-GST transactions and adds GST to them. This is not reflected on the actual invoice but shows up in the transaction journal.  What was listed with Memo "Tax Rounding Correction" and Account "Sales Tax Payable" and zero value becomes Memo "10% GST" with a value of 10% of the invoice.

When we run a verify, all those transactions are out of balance and it tells us to rebuild the data.  The rebuild generates a balancing transaction for the journal into account "uncategorised expenses".  Somehow, this makes the whole invoice amount show up as "balance due".

Such a mess.

• Hoang
    Hoang Alumni Posts: 48
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Hi David,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

Please provide me a brief of which version you were using and the upgrade paths.

You might want to restore a backup and re-enter the transactions without using the memorised transactions as there is a high chance that they're corrupted. In regards to the open invoices marking as unpaid when they're paid, you will need to go edit those invoices and refresh it by selecting a different tax code then change it back to the correct tax code.

Please see the installation and upgrade guide to prevent the pre-GST transactions that add GST to them if you're upgrading a data file from an earlier version of QuickBooks.

http://home.reckon.com.au/Portals/2/pdf/ReckonAccounts_2013_IaUG_FINAL_WEB.pdf

Regards,
    Hoang
  • David Stafford_6739738
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hello Hoang

Thanks for your reply.

After posting this issue yesterday, I managed to find further/better information on another site which pointed me in the right direction for manually fixing the data.  Unfortunately, because we had to do the upgrade in two steps and had to use a trial version to do so, we ran out of program runs before we could solve it.  I tried contacting Reckon to get a temporary activation code but they couldn't/wouldn't help so we had to set up another computer and install the trial version on it before we could proceed.  As the saying goes "There's nothing like excellent customer service" ... and that was *nothing* like excellent customer service.

I would point out that the verify step on the original version (2005/6) plus the intermediate step (2007/8) consistently reported the data as not having any problems and it was only the 2013 verify which detected (introduced?) the issue.  The rebuild function, rather than fixing the issue, compounded it.

It's interesting that you should have posted the link to the upgrade documentation because I had read through it several times in the hope that I might have overlooked a step.  I am still unable to find the section to which you referred which will "prevent the pre-GST transactions that add GST to them ".  Mind you, so far as useful documentation is concerned, it leaves much to be desired.  I especially like the reference to the Tax Code Exception report which says "... you may experience a small error in the Tax Code Exception report after you upgrade to QuickBooks 2007/08 ..." but gives absolutely no advice on how to fix the error. 

Other errors that I noticed along the way were things like the ReckonAccounts dialog box which specifies the location of the QBWin.log file - but it isn't there.  I'm guessing 22.0 is the version number but the files don't get created there.  I'm also guessing that the "%version%" folder wasn't supposed to be created.  Sloppy programming, sloppy testing.

Anyway, we've put in a month of data and run verify, rebuild, verify with no errors being reported so I think we're back on track again.

Thanks for your interest. 

David

• Hoang
    Hoang Alumni Posts: 48
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Hi David,

Thank you for the feedback and glad to hear that you have resolved the issue.

Regards,
    Hoang