Why do i get the error "QHIM has stopped working" when launching ReckonEssentials Home Inventory?

SUZANNE LAKE
SUZANNE LAKE Member Posts: 1
edited October 2017 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
When trying to use ReckonEssentialsHomeInventory (I have ReckonAccounts 2013 version), I get error message "HQIM.exe has stopped working". Advice please on how to correct this.
Tagged:

Comments

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for asking the Reckon Community.

This error indicates that the ReckonEssentials Inventory Manager did not install properly.

There are a few ways you can install it, but if you clicked on the file: Quicken Home Inventory 
    Manager.msi on the installation disk, then Inventory Manager did not install properly.

Unfortunately you will have to uninstall Home Inventory and install with the standard method:
    • Insert the installation disk and from the opening screen select Australia > Install.
    • In the white screen under ReckonEssentials Inventory Manager, click on here at the end of the paragraph.  
    An alternative method is from the CD:\HAB\Disk1 folder, click on Qhinstall.exe.

These methods will ensure you have a good install.  

regards,
    John.
  • Inigo
    Inigo Member Posts: 193
    edited February 2016
    That here link is not very clear and should be changed next time that installation program is updated.
  • Inigo
    Inigo Member Posts: 193
    edited April 2015
  • John G
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Inigo, have passed your comments to our Developers.

regards,
    John
  • John G
    edited February 2017
    Hi Trevor,

Hmmm....

Sounds like there is a permissioning issue somewhere.  Here's a few steps to try.

Make sure your UAC permission is set to Never Notify.  Then try again.  

Next, copy the entire contents of the CD to a folder on your local drive and launch from there - this will bypass any issues of the install programme accessing the CD.

Finally, restart your PC in Selective Startup mode and try again.  See 
    http://kb.reckon.com.au//issue_view.asp?ID=4819
    for a full guide to this process.  

Sorry that my file path was not complete.  

Hope these steps get your Home Inventory Manager working.  

regards,
    John

• John G
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Trevor, glad to hear you are up and running.

I'm sorry you had the trouble you did but let me assure you that your problem is experienced by only a small percentage of Accounts Personal users.  

The problem was a permissions-type issue, and when normal permission settings did not change the experience suggesting something in the computer environment was contributing to the issue.  

Things like any security system limiting access to or restrictions on how programmes on the CD are used.  It is even possible that the security system is defining the .exe as a virus.  There may be other configuration settings pertaining to the CD drive that prevents programmes working properly - for instance AutoPlay settings.  

Thank you for your feedback and trust you have a better experience of the product.  

regards,
    John

• Mark Harbrow
    Mark Harbrow Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2016
    I have had this issue for at least the last 3 versions. I have recently upgraded to Reckon Accounts 2015 and still the Home Inventory Manager will not work. I would have though it might have been fixed by now.

I am installing from downloaded software that is extracted onto the hard drive. I changed UAC to Never Notify AND also tried the selective startup (which does seem over the top). The QHInstall.exe does not run at all. I have used the setup.exe and the Reckon Home Inventory Manager.msi. The software installs but still get the QHIM.exe has stopped working message when trying to launch.

This is becoming quite painful. I don't use it a lot but it would be nice to get back into the program.

Regards,

Mark
  • Mark Harbrow
    edited November 2016
    I am running Windows 7 64 bit so it looks like it is not meant to run on 64 bit. I hope this is being addressed.

Cheers,

Mark
  • Alex Tan
    Alex Tan Member Posts: 83
    edited February 2016
    Hi Ashley,

The download copy is a stripped down version so apologies in advance but if you want to see all the options available then you will need to go to our members website to request a CD to be sent out to you.

http://members.reckon.com/Login.aspx

Kind regards,
    Alex
  • Alex Tan
    Alex Tan Member Posts: 83
    edited February 2016
    Hi Mark,

We have this software installed and working on Windows 7 64bit OS.

Here are all the guides we have available on the Home Inventory Manager please take a look.
    http://kb.reckon.com.au/search.asp?cate=0&search=home+inventory+manager&type=3&mode=sear...

If you run into any specific error messages please let me know and I will do my best to assist you with them.

Kind regards
    Alex
  • Mark Harbrow
    edited November 2016
    Well it is now November of 2016. I have just renewed and downloaded Reckon Accounts 2017. I installed the Home Inventory part of the product. Again it had the error. I then uninstalled it and re-installed using the QHInstall.exe (a process I had done previously). It appears that the issue is sorted and I can now successfully run the software. Finally.

Cheers,

Mark