Reckons Accounts Personal Plus 2016, 2017 and now 2018 continually crashes

Steve_2218070
Steve_2218070 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
I am currently running Reckons Accounts Personal Plus on Windows 10, however this problem has continued over from the last 2 versions (2017 and 2016); the problem also occurred on Windows 7.

Reckon Accounts Personal Plus regularly crashes when doing various tasks; there are some tasks, such as "Enter Transaction" in various investment accounts, which cannot be used because it always crashes when using it. For other tasks, such as "Download Quotes", sometimes it works and at other times it crashes. There was a crash halfway through entering a transaction; that transaction is still there but I cannot even go to it to delete it because even clicking on it causes a crash. I get different error codes, usually starting with a 7xxx e.g the most recent is 7326.

I have explored the community here and there are a couple of similar posts, the closest being this one from about 1 year ago: https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/program-crashes-on-entering-investment-transactions

Based on these posts I have tried the following:
1. Validated and super-validated the file as per this post.
2. Uninstall and re-install.
3. run sfc /scannow as per this post

The problem is still there.

Can someone please help? I assume the data file is corrupt in some way.  I sent an email to Customer Service and received a reply saying to phone the Reckon paid line technical support team at $4.90/ min!!

It has come to the stage where I cannot use this software. The thought of starting a brand new file and entering all of the data is too much.

Stephen

Comments

• Jay Jay
    Jay Jay Alumni Posts: 55
    edited September 2019
    Hi Steve, 
    If would be a good idea to do a cross test. to find out if the issue is with your installation or your data file. 
    you can make a new dummy file and enter transactions to the new file see if issue remains in the new file. if new file is okay it indicate the current data file you have need fix. other than validate, you might want consider make a new file. 

• Steve_2218070
    edited November 2017
    Thank you for your reply Jay Jay. I just started a new file and I can enter a new transaction without a crash, so it does appear my main file is corrupt. Is there any method of fixing a file other than validate?
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    Robyn Kelly (Partner) Accredited Partner Posts: 473 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited November 2017
    Steve have you tested to see if the file works OK on another computer?  May be computer related?
  • gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 802 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited November 2017
    Steve.  

Slim possibility,  but just check that the DATA files are in a separate folder (not in the  c:\Programs files (386) folder,  )

On Two occasions, the correct FOLDER and naming conventions have presented issues for users of various combinations of  Win7 or Win10  with PP2016 and PP2017.   Refer to  the final two comments in this article:

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/upgrade-to-pp2017-i-cant-see-oldfiles-how-do-i-find-it-to...

Cheers

Gary
  • Steve_2218070
    edited November 2017
    Hi Robyn. This same issue happened on 2 different computers, on both Windows 7 and Windows 10.
  • Steve_2218070
    edited November 2017
    Hi Gary,
    Thank you for your reply. I put the data files in a seperate folder so I don't think this is the issue.
    Stephen
  • gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 802 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited November 2017
    Starting to sound like it is your original prognosis, of the DAAT file being corrupted in some way.  How far back do you have backups?
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    Robyn Kelly (Partner) Accredited Partner Posts: 473 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited November 2017

I fiind for the data file to run at it's prime, the data should sit in a certain folder on your computer.  Usually C:Users:<your username>:Documents:Quicken.

Is this where your data file and the 4 or 5 other files are sitting?  If not try putting the data file in this location to see if it helps.