Refund with other amounts

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
Hi
I am using Small Business Edition 2014.
I have entered a sale by creating a sales receipt/tax invoice for $150 from a client.
I then had the company pay the same amount again in error via direct deposit so I had to enter another sales receipt/tax invoice for the client (this has occurred for three clients).
I have written one cheque for the three over payments. Included in this cheque is also some reimbursements of other amounts.
In my write cheque transaction I have debited the account where the payments went to which is their membership payments.
At present it still appears that the customer has paid twice.
How do i Debit the customers account so it doesn't appear twice in their records?
Thanks
Stephanie
Photo of Stephanie

Stephanie

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Lupton

Lupton

• 244 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So 3 separate customers have overpaid and you have paid one cheque to each ?  

What are you looking at when you say " it still appears that the customer has paid twice" ? Do you not want it to appear as 2 sales receipts and a cheque ?

Another option to use an adjustment note and refund cheque combination which means yr item reports would be more accurate. 

Or the 2nd sales receipt to a dummy customer (which doesn't really reflect whats happened mind you) 
Photo of Stephanie

Stephanie

A club for example RSL have their fees for their clients but previously the clients have already paid their own fees, therefore they have been paid twice. So I need to refund the club "RSL' for the fees.
When I entered the sales invoice I entered it under the name of the client. When I go into the Customer centre and look under the customers name they have two transactions.
I have made adjustments before but only for only customer and the payment hasn't been linked to any other transactions.
I need to somehow reverse the transactions so under the customers profile they have only paid once?
Does that make sense?
Stephanie
Photo of Lupton

Lupton

So is this your process?
  • RSL is set up as one customer called "RSL"
  • RSL's client is set up as another Customer called "Client A" . (Is this set up using "new customer" or "new Job" ?)
  • You receive $150 from Client A so u record it by a Sales Receipt under name of Client A
  • You then receive $150 from RSL as well so u record that by a sales receipt under name RSL
  • You write a cheque to RSL for $150   
It would be easiest if u were able to take a screenshot and show us. If u don't want to do that on your file then replicate it on the sample datafile 
Photo of Stephanie

Stephanie

I don't want to take a screen shot as it has clients names in it.
Lets see if the following makes sense.
The following payments have been entered in sales receipt/tax invoice against the clients names. The registration fee is income to us and the RSL will be returned to RSL later in the year.
8 February 2014
Client A has paid $175 to us ($150 registration fee and $25 RSL fee)
Client B has paid $125 to us ($100 registration fee and $25 RSL fee)
Client C has paid $230 to us ($205 registration fee and $25 RSL fee)
26 June
RSL paid for:
Client A $150
Client B $100
Client C $205
I entered the above payments in sales receipts/tax invoice against the clients names.
So at present Client A, B and C have paid twice. When I go into their customer information for 2014 there are two payments for this client
26 June
I wrote a cheque to RSL(just in the write cheque section) to reimburse them for the RSL fees as these need to go back to the club and also included in this cheque three payments for $150, $100 and $205.
When I wrote the cheque I debited the account where the original transactions for RSL's fees went (say $75) and then debited the accounts where the transactions went that RSL had paid on the 26 June.
After this is completed there are still two transactions against client A, B and C. 
I need somehow to debit the client with the $150, $100 and $205 respectively?
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Stephanie
Photo of Lupton

Lupton

So the root of yr problem stems from u inputting the 26 June receipt from RSL as a sale receipt from Client A. 

Just edit that sales receipt and resave as a sales receipt from RSL

Additionally, u should be able to do reports on the item which will be informative. eg total number of registration fees for the year etc. If so then yr refund cheque to RSL should be using the item tab....but thats another question thread !  

Cheers

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.