Reinstalling 2013 Personal Plus

Mel Callisto
Mel Callisto Member Posts: 16
edited August 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
I am trying to reinstall 2013 personal plus to another computer computer and when you load the CD AND select install 2013 personal plus nothing happens. is there a fix? Thanks Mel

Comments

• Shane_6461899
    Shane_6461899 Reckon Staff Posts: 339 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2020
    Hi Mel,

Browse the contents of the CD, open the folder HAB, then open the folder DISK1 and run the file Setup.exe (the one that's 1025KB in size) and this will start the installation.

Regards,
    Shane.
  • Shane_6461899
    edited February 2020
    Hi Mel,

What happens when you run Setup.exe from the HAB/Disk1 folder?  I can not see any reason double clicking on this file should not start the installation.  Another possible solution is to download a trial version from the Reckon website and install it.  When it asks for the installation key enter  your installation key instead of the trial key.

Regards,
    Shane.
  • Mel Callisto
    edited March 2014
    Hi Shane,

I tried that, but same thing happens, nothing? I have windows 8.1. I did install home inventory manager but personal plus just wont install. and more ideas?

Regards
    Mel
  • Mel Callisto
    edited March 2014
    Hi Shane i tried your second option but that did not work either. There is a compatability issue and I beleive it won't work with windows 8.1. 

When you double click the Setup.exe from the HAB/Disk1 folder a dialogue box comes up advising the program is going to load on your hard disk, and when you click yes, nothing happens literally. 

Any further ideas, As i have been using quicken personal plus for over 10 years and love it.

Mel
  • Shane_6461899
    edited February 2020
    Hi Mel,

Try installing while in selective startup mode.  This is a special way of running Windows where you can select what services and processes are allowed to run.  For a guide on how to do this click on this link and follow the steps http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=4819.

If this doesn't work it may be some kind of compatibility issue so get back to me with your system specs like full details of your operating system and antivirus software, hardware details including device type, RAM and CPU.

Let me know how it goes. 

Regards,
    Shane.
  • Mel Callisto
    edited March 2014
    Hi Shane that didn't work either. Very frstrating, thanks for your help though.

Windows 8.1
    8GB RAM
    INTEL i5-4440 CPU 3.1GHZ
    64 bit operating system
    no anti virus except for windows defender
    My customer ID 476038

Hope you can come up with a solution.

Regards
    Mel

• Mel Callisto
    edited March 2014
    Hi Shane any news?

Thanks
  • Shane_6461899
    edited February 2020
    Hi Mel,

Your system specs seem fine, is the device a PC, laptop or tablet device?  You can try creating a new user profile for Windows and login to Windows as that new user and try to install Personal Plus 2013 again.  Try from both CD and download.  When installing from the CD go into HAB/Disk1 and run Setup.exe as you did last time.

Regards,
    Shane.
  • Shane_6461899
    edited February 2020
    Hi Mel,

Another possible solution if the last one doesn't work is to enable the built in Administrator profile for Windows and login as that user and try to install the software.  To enable the built in Administrator for Windows 8 refer to this link http://kb.reckon.com.au//issue_view.asp?ID=3623.  Try installing from both CD and download. When installing from the CD go into HAB/Disk1 and run Setup.exe as you did last time.

Regards,
    Shane.
  • Mel Callisto
    edited March 2014
    Hi Shane, it's a PC. It's networked through a NAS to another computer. I have tried on the other computer, identical to this one and same issue. I unpluged the NAS and same issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Mel
  • Mel Callisto
    edited March 2014
    Hi shane have tried the admin fix, but no luck.

The setup.exe comes up with a error. I went through windows troubleshooting and it came back with the result the the program is incompatible with windows 8.1

Thanks
    Mel
  • Mel Callisto
    edited March 2014
    Shane also inventory manager installed no problem from the disk
  • Shane_6461899
    edited February 2020
    Hi Mel,

Create a new folder on your desktop called Reckon and copy all the contents of the CD and paste them into that new folder.  Open the new folder, go into HAB\Disk1 and run Setup.exe again.  If you get an error take note of when the error comes up and exactly what it says including any error codes and get back to me. 

Regards,
    Shane.
  • Mel Callisto
    edited March 2014
    Hi Shane i have done that, opened the file from my desktop,  HAB\Disk1 and run Setup.exe . I then get the Program compatibility assistant dialog box come up. It advises,  this program might not have installed correctly Setup.exe Intuit, inc.It then says if this program didn't install correctly you can try installing the program using compatibility settings. It then gives 2 options, Install using compatibility settings or this program installed correctly.

When you select compatibility settings that advises cpmes up with anmother dialog box asking if that was successful. When you select no it launches a troubleshooter. It test the program with Windows 7 and XP and comes with an Incompatible Program error. There is no error code it states the issues found is setuo is incompatible.

Thanks
    Mel
  • Shane_6461899
    edited February 2020
    Hi Mel,

Can you go into the new folder on your desktop called Reckon, open HAB\Disk1, then right click on Setup.exe and choose Properties, select the compatability tab, tick the box that says Run this program in compatability mode for: and select Window 7 Service Pack 1 from the drop down list, also tick the box that says Run this program as Administrator, click Apply and OK then double click Setup.exe to start the installation.  If this doesn't work set the same properties on the download file and to try and install.

Regards,
    Shane.
  • Mel Callisto
    edited March 2014
    No Shane still dosen't work. It also only has 1 windows 7 option not windows 7 service pack 1. When you double click the setup.exe it comes up with the compatibility assistant dialog box again and ends up with the same message setup is incompatible.

Thanks
    Mel
  • Shane_6461899
    edited February 2020
    Hi Mel,

Try running the Setup.exe file again but this time change the compatability option from Windows 7 to Windows XP Service Pack 3 (or just Windows XP if that is the only option you have).

Let me know how it goes.
    Regards,
    Shane.
  • Mel Callisto
    edited March 2014
    I have done all that and same result it comes up with the compatibility assistant and ends up with the same error, Incompatible program. Not sure why given home inventory manager worked easy.

Thanks
    Mel
  • Mel Callisto
    edited March 2014
    Hi Shane any more ideas?

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi Mel,

Sorry to hear of your difficulties in installing Personal Plus 2013.  

Reckon has not tested the 2013 version on Windows 8.1 so we cannot say with any authority how it will behave.  I got a copy of Windows 8.1 and installed Personal Plus 2013 on it with only one minor hiccup.  So it should install and run.

There is another install method for troublesome situations:
    1. Check your Programs and Features for a ReckonAccounts 2013 installation.  If it is there, uninstall it.  
    2. Insert your Installation disk into your PC and exit the autorun screen that opens;
    3. In File Explorer browse to the root directory of your CD;
    4. Click on HAB > Disk1;
    5. Right click ISsetup.exe and select Run as Administrator
    6. You may be prompted for a username and password. Make sure you enter an Administrator username and password.
    The installation should now proceed.  When its complete, launch Personal Plus 2013, open a sample file and register your product. 

Hope this method gives you a better result.  

regards,
    John

• Mel Callisto
    edited March 2014
    Hi John, fantastic that works, brilliant, wow what a nightmare that was.

Many Thanks
    Mel
  • John G
    edited February 2017
    Great to hear Mel!

cheers,
    John
  • Mel Callisto
    edited March 2014
    Hi John sorry to bother you again but i have restored my back up but no attachments are there. Can you advise?

Thanks
    Mel
  • John G
    edited February 2017
    Hi again Mel,

When you created your backup did you get an error: "File not backed up"?  If you did, then your file name is longer than 8 characters, created the error message and the Attach folder was not included.  

You'll need to create a new backup with a shorter name.  Rename your original file through File operations > Rename,  then create a new backup, using the old backup format and not the new one - untick the option "Backup data to compressed archive (rkn) file - on the Backup screen.

More detail on this process is available on the knowledgebase at:

http://kb.reckon.com.au//issue_view.asp?ID=4741

and

https://community.reckon.com.au/reckon/topics/reinstalling_2013_personal_plus-2h3a5

Hope this gets your attachments restored.

regards,
    john
  • Mel Callisto
    edited March 2014
    Thanks John