Report taking too long to build

Kerrie H
Kerrie H Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
edited July 2020 in Accounts Hosted
I have just upgraded to 2017 R2 and have successfully created a report that I wanted to email to myself in excel (easier that exporting), whilst the green bar has gone to the end it is still telling me it is building and it's over 900 seconds (15 mins).  Sometimes it has taken some time but never this long before.  Any ideas?

Comments

• Kerrie H
    edited July 2020
    Okay so I had to log myself out in the control panel, then log back in.  Just repeated the process of emailing the report which worked quickly except that the clipboard popped up twice which I had to cancel before I was able to enter the email address.  Clipboard problems again!
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Yes Kerrie.  Those clipboard problems surfaced again for me last night so there is a definite problem here which is costing one a deal of time and frustration.  It is possible that this might be caused by some Windows update, or else there is something that Reckon has done, around about last Monday, which is causing this problem.
    However, in having a closer look at this now, I have worked out what is happening.  When copying something from within Hosted, instead of being able to immediately paste, the info is going into the clipboard and one now has to click on close and then paste.  This is still an extra step to what it used to be.
    John L G
  • Kerrie H
    edited June 2017
    We have Reckon on 2 sign in computers, both are up-to-date, but only our admin sign in is having the clipboard pop up.  I am also encountering the clipboard popping up twice when I am trying to email reports to myself!  Most frustrating and like I have said before I don't think Reckon read our problems, this site only appears to be somewhere we can all commiserate with each other.
  • John Graetz
    edited June 2017
    Kerrie, you are probably right in some respects.  There is evidence though that Reckon staff are reading these posts.  The disappointing thing though is that when something like what we are experiencing happens (I am also logged in as admin), we end up with a situation where nobody at the Reckon end says acknowledgesd that there is a problem and that they are looking at.  Hence we come to the (potentially unjustified) conclusion that an irritation like this is not worth the effort to look into - just let them suffer :(  Rav does tend to respond to something like this, but for whatever reason, there has been total silence at the Reckon end since we first spoke about this problem a few days ago.
    John L G
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited June 2017
    John & Kerrie,

There haven't been any changes made to Hosted in the last few days which would warrant any irregular clipboard behaviour that you're experiencing.

Kerrie, ultimately, how you approach and use the Community is up to you however no, it isn't a place for commiseration. I'd like to think it's an established repository of knowledge and experiences, some good, some not so good. We won't get everything right but we do listen.

I've spoken to the Hosted team and the focus moving forward is to get Hosted to a new environment which has several benefits, one them being streamlined copy/paste process.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• John Graetz
    edited June 2017
    Thank you very much Rav for responding.
    John L G
  • Kerrie H
    edited June 2017
    Yes Rav, thank you for responding.  However how could the clipboard problem just suddenly start happening?  As I said we have two computers (windows 7) that both update at the same time, yet on the admin sign-in the clipboard pops up without touching the button, something has changed as it has never done this before.

I do look forward to the copy/paste process being easier in the future, in the meantime, this constant pop up is wasting a lot of time.
  • Kerrie H
    edited June 2017
    Here we go again, must say I am really sick of this.  I need to email this report to myself weekly for our production meetings.  Come on Reckon, how about looking into the problem and fixing it!  It's now goneover 1200 seconds while I was puting this up.imageimage
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited June 2017
    Hi Kerrie,

I think its best for you to give us a call so a technician can look into this further with you. There are a number of factors & variables that can contribute to the length of time a report takes to generate, among a few are: the amount of data being processed for the report, whether the program is being run in multi-user mode while the report is generating (will be faster in single user mode), internet speed, load on the network etc.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• John Graetz
    edited June 2017
    Kerrie.  I would suggest that the original issue that you talked about has probably been "lost" because the thread immediately went onto the subject of problems with copying within Hosted.
    Secondly, the issue of reports taking a long time to run centred on a particular one some 12-24 months ago, Super Report by Fund.  At that time I did extensive testing under a range of scenarios, including running the report after 7:00pm.  Those results were reported back to this forum and I think it might have been Rav who was involved.  There has not been any noticeable change in the amount of time it takes to run this particular report.  Even with only some 10 employees, it takes generally at least 5 minutes to run.
    Thirdly, I would suggest that Reckon is having some extreme server issues today, which is not allowing users to work efficiently.  I say this because, as a test, I just ran the Super Report by Fund for June, with 11 employees.  It took just under 1200 seconds to complete, which is totally ridiculous.  I wouldn't mind betting that yours is still running.  To sum up, today it seems apparent that the servers cannot cope.  As to the reason for that, we will probably never know.
    Apart from that, there is something seriously wrong when, what appears to be simple reports, take so long to run.  I also add that the problem with the Super Report by Fund was no better, in the past when running it under the desktop version.  Either nobody knows what the problem is or how to fix it, or it is not regarded as a priority to fix.  And that comes some two years ago since it was extensively covered in this forum.
    John L G
  • John Graetz
    edited June 2017
    Further to what I stated above and in light of Rav's comments, I advise that during the time that I ran the above report, I was in single user mode, using Hosted.  A test of the internet speed showed a download speed of 8.37 Mbps and an upload speed of 10.81 Mbps.
    John L G
  • Rav
    edited June 2017
    Hi John,
    There have not been any server "issues" today. However, in the last week we have experienced the highest load through the Hosted network than ever before.
    On the flipside, server capacity has been increased in order to meet this increased traffic.

John - in regard to your report tests, what is the "usual/acceptable" timeframe you experienced this report to generate in the past prior ?to noticing this increased duration in generation?

• Kerrie H
    edited June 2017
    Thank you Rav and John for your comments, I actually already had the report open and it didn't require refreshing.  I just wanted to email it to myself because it is too difficult and problematic to export in Reckon.

When I hit the email button, it immediately bought up the copy/paste clipboard, which makes no sense, then goes into the running the report again which is never ending.  After waiting some time I have to go to the dashboard to log myself out then log in again, I open the report again (in less than 30 seconds) and press email and it brings up the email address box.  Why do I need to go through this process every week?  We are in multi user but we certainly pay for it and expect it to work in both single and multi user, it is not practical for us to log out one user.

As far as phoning support well I've spent a lot of time on that in the past.
  • John Graetz
    edited June 2017
    Rav.  From memory, I would be expecting the report to be taking anywhere between 200 and 300 seconds to generate, based on 10 employees.  But that is from memory.  I do know that it takes what is an excessive amount of time compared to other reports.  When we looked at this a couple of years ago, there were a couple of other options suggested to possibly shorten the time e.g.close down Hosted, delete the tab, start from a fresh tab and try again, and hopefully end up on a different server.  The only problem though is that it seems to be impossible to stop the report running after it has been started.  Hence the alternatives aren't much help.  One thing for sure though that I do know, is that it takes much longer running in multi user mode, which I make sure I never do anymore.
    John L G
This discussion has been closed.