Restoring an enterprise 2014 file received from a client

Leanne_6835203
Leanne_6835203 Member Posts: 35
edited April 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
I have a backup file that I have been told is from Reckon Accountants Enterprise 2014.  It will not restore :(
 I have tried Reckon Hosted 2015R1 and receive this error message  "This is an invalid format of a post QB2007 backup file"
I have tried Reckon Accounts Premier, this program does not recognise the file.

Comments

• Charley
    Charley Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    It's a QB QuickBooks file?? Not Reckon!!
  • Kwikbooks (Professional Partner)
    Kwikbooks (Professional Partner) Member Posts: 824 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hi Leanne

It seems the client has told you the wrong information  and isn't from 2014 at all, you need to double check with the clients of what version they are running.

If it is the 2007 (06/07) or earlier you cannot upgrade directly to 2014, you need to upgrade to 07/08 first, then to 2014.  But if you are uploading to hosted it has to be a 'portable backup' not a normal  backup.

If it is a 2014 backup then you will need to get a 'portable backup' from the client to upload straight to hosted.

edited December 2016
    Well Support have always told me portable backup, nothing less :)
  • Charley
    Charley Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I've uploaded backups, portables and full files and they've all worked. It's just that a portable file is smaller and trying to upload a full big file is a pain because it keeps cutting out and takes too long, a small full file can work though
  • Leanne_6835203
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for the comments everyone.  Since putting up this question I have installed Accountants Enterprise 2015 and now the error message is "restore failed" .  

I've tried Quickbooks Accountant Edition 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009  each time the error is restore failed.  When I try the older versions in the 'restore company backup to' field reverts to the previous file that was backed up :(

Why doesn't Quickbooks or Reckon give me the option to upgrade?  This is so frustrating, to top it off I don't think it will be easy to get another backup.

• Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    Robyn Kelly (Partner) Accredited Partner Posts: 473 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited September 2019
    Leanne when you hover over the backup file icon (but don't click on it) does it tell you what version it was made in???  Mine does.  Hope that works.

Regards, Robyn Kelly

• Leanne_6835203
    edited November 2016
    Hi Kelly,   it tells me that it is a Reckon Accounts Company Backup File, the size of the file and the date it was created.
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    Robyn Kelly (Partner) Accredited Partner Posts: 473 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2016
    Leanne is it QBB or QBM extension?
    Thanks, Robyn
  • Leanne_6835203
    edited November 2016
    QBB
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    edited December 2016
    Leanne you will need an Enterprise version to restore to not accountants or premier.  Are you an accredited or professional partner of Reckon?  Sounds to me like you might need to try to restore on Entrerprise 2014 first.

Email if you need further help

robyn@robynkelly.com.au
    edited December 2016
    Leanne if it is truly a 2014 enterprise backup then it should (in theory) restore no problem on enterprise 2014, 2015 or maybe even upload to hosted even though not portable backup.  It will never restore in an earlier version if 2014.  If it is only a 2014 in say, premier or pro it will restore to enterprise, but it will upgrade the file, and can never go back to premier or pro if you need to send it back to your client.

Have you confirmed the actual 2014 software they are running - ask them to go to help, "about my licence" this will tell you there version.

The next theory would be is that the backup file is corrupt, it does happen, can you get another backup from the client, if they do a portable backup then it should go through the email to you.

Anytime: Kim M: 0429 305300  E: Kim@kwikbooks.com.au 
  • Leanne_6835203
    edited November 2016
    Thanks Robyn,  I have installed and tried Enterprise 2014 and 2015 with the same result ' Restore Failed'.  There must be something wrong with the backup that I was given.