restoring company files to Accounts Plus 2016

Options
Simone Sutcliffe_8328624
Simone Sutcliffe_8328624 Member Posts: 9
edited July 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Hi l tried to update from Accounts PLus 2015 to 2016 but it installed a whole new version & now l am trying to restore my company files.I get told it was done but each l go into 2016 version & click on the file menu top left corner & go to open previous companies it say's there is nothing there. have tried phone support but couldn't get through what was happening. have tried online support but that is offline. Someone please help.

Comments

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Simone.  Whilst it might say that there is nothing there, that might only mean that it cannot find the path for the company file.  Instead, try Open and Restore an existing company and then navigate to where the company file is located on your hard drive.  John L G
  • Simone Sutcliffe_8328624
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Have done all that John but every other time l have restored a company file l have done it straight from the memory stick & it has been easy. This time l am restoring 2 company files. I have restored them but when l reopen Account plus 2016 l cannot just got to the file tab & click open previous company files like l used to on the 2015 version & that is what l want to do l don't want to have to track down my company file every time l want to work on it. Simone
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have also had error 6000-83 coming up not sure what that means.

• John Graetz
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Simone.  Once you have found it the first time around, you should not have any further issues as it should automatically then show up under open previous company.  If it doesn't then there is another problem regarding "set number of companies" for which there is a fix in the knowledge base.  John L G
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hi John l have the set amount of companies at 4 but neither of mine show up after closing & reopening the software. What is the error message that l have been getting 6000-83?
    should l uninstall this version & reinstall it?
    Simone
  • John Graetz
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Simone.  There is a thread on the Community Forum which might help you:
    https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/how_to_resolve_error_code_6000_83
    but it seems that it might be more appropriate for you to talk with support.

In regards to the set number of companies problem, here is the link to a couple of ways to fix the problem:
    http://kb.reckon.com.au/search.asp?cate=0&search=set+number+of+companies&type=3&mode=sea...
    If you cannot get to this, login to the members area, go to Support/Knowledge Browser and search for "set number of companies".  I have been able to successfully fix this problem in the past which for some reason seemed to crop up every year.
    John L G
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thanks John will give those a try fingers crossed they work.
    Simone
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Have tried these but we are operating on windows 10 & none of them help with that.
    Have searched set number of companies & none of these are of any use to me either.
    I am not great with computer so am getting rather frustrated that it is not as simple as has been in the past. Really need some help.
  • John Graetz
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hi Simone.  The instructions have not been updated for either a current version or for Windows 10 but nonetheless, they still work.  I just had to go through the process, because mine all disappeared after I upgraded a company file today.  I followed the following instructions and it all worked.  Have a go - I have slightly changed the wording to reflect the current program name - it should work for you:

1. Close Reckon Accounts

2. Right click on the Reckon Accounts 2016 program icon on your desktop;

3. Select Run As Administrator – if you are not an Admin User, you will need to get your Administrator to provide the credentials;

4. Launch Reckon Accounts.  Make sure that the Open Previous Company function is set to show more than company file:

a. File > Open Previous Company > Set Number of Previous Companies

b. In the box How many companies do you want to list, enter the number of files you wish to see;

Minimum is 1 and maximum is 20  (I suggest that you set it to the maximum of 20 - it doesn't matter).

c. Click OK.

5. Open all your company files

6. View Open Previous Company list and see all opened company files listed;

7. Close Reckon Accounts

8. Launch Reckon Accounts in the normal fashion (the way that you have previously been doing this)

9. Check Open Previous Company list and see all previously opened company files listed.

That's it.  The interesting thing was that whilst I was in the program which showed no previous companies in the list, the three previous ones showed up when I ran the program as administrator.  After shutting down, I launched the program as I had done in the past, and all previously opened companies were now appearing in the list.

John L G