Sales Order has Open Balance when close or when Invoice is paid in full

Carrie_7009426
Carrie_7009426 Member Posts: 67
edited September 2019 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Hi,  I have just found that if a sales order is invoiced, but you then amend the prices on the invoice, the result is a sales order that is "Invoiced in Full" but it has an open balance of the difference between the sales order and the related invoice.  The same result occurs if a sales order is partially invoiced and then manually closed.  The only way I can find to get rid of the open balance is to go back to the sales order, change the figures to match the invoice and then save it.  Surely there must be a reason why it works this way - can anyone explain?  I am using Reckon Accounts Premier Manufacturing and Wholesale edition.

Comments

• Viv A
    Viv A Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I have a similar situation using Hosted Online with an invoiced order still staying on the Open Orders report ... seems to be something to do with GST values for certain lines when changes have been made to a Sales ORder.  I don't know how to fix it other than to delete the order ie. relying on the Tax Invoice to maintain a record of the final transaction.
    We have just started tracking inventory - so this solution won't fly anymore I wouldn't think...
    Interested to hear if anyone has any ideas :)
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited February 2017
    Hi guys,
    A couple of things we can try here

The first is to convert the sales order and save the invoice as it is. Then reopen the invoice and make the required changes.

The second is to add a second line for the additional items.

Do you get the same behaviour as what you're currently experiencing?

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Carrie_7009426
    edited July 2019
    Hi Rav, 
    Thanks for replying.  I have created several test sales orders and performed the following 4 scenarios.
    • Created Sales Order and invoiced in full with no modifications, the result is a fully invoiced sales order with no open balance
    • Created Sales Order and invoiced in full.  Saved invoice - no open balance on sales order.  Opened invoice and made changes to prices.  Saved and closed invoice.  Checked Sales order - it is "Fully Invoiced" but now has an open balance of the difference between the original sales order and the amended invoice..
    • Created Sales Order and invoiced in full.  Saved invoice - no open balance on sales order.  Opened invoice and added additional lines.  Saved and closed invoice.  Checked Sales order - it now has an open balance, but I don't know where it gets the figure from as it doesn't equal the difference between the sales order and the amended invoice.
    • Created a Sales Order and partially invoiced.  Sales order has (as expected) has an open balance.  Open Sales order and select "Closed"; save and exit.  The Sales order now has a status of "Closed" but has retained an open balance.
    Are you able to replicate these results on your end?

• Deny Dharmawan
    Deny Dharmawan Alumni Posts: 141
    edited July 2019

Hi Carrie,

How and where do you check for the open balance? I used Open Sales Orders by customer report. I am not getting all of your results. The report does not show an opening balance when I change the price or add a new line on the Invoice.

Regards

Deny Dharmawan

• Carrie_7009426
    edited July 2019
    Hi Deny,

Thanks for following up on this for me.  Go to the Customer Center, select a customer and then in the SHOW drop down box select "Sales Orders" instead of "All transactions",  This is where the Sales Order will show whether they have an open balance or not.  Those that have an open balance then show up in the Open Sales Orders by Customer Report - even if they are fully invoiced or closed.

• Carrie_7009426
    edited October 2016
    Hi Deny,  Any luck yet with this one?
  • Deny Dharmawan
    edited August 2016

Hi Carrie,

I tried to replicate the steps and checked the open balance from Customer Centre and this is what happened to mine.

• No open balance.

• Open balance is the difference between the original and amended price.

• No open balance.

• Sales order has closed status, and retained an open balance.

When you add additional lines on the invoice as the step no 3, do you use negatives? I did not use negatives, I selected different items, and I tried adding 2 items on 2 separate lines.

Regards

Deny Dharmawan

• Carrie_7009426
    edited October 2016
    Hi Deny.  No I didn't use negatives.  I simply added additional items to the invoice.
  • Carrie_7009426
    edited October 2016
    Hi Deny,  How is this one progressing?  Apart from point 3 in your last post you seem to have replicated my results.  Regards,  Carrie.
  • Deny Dharmawan
    edited September 2019

Hi Carrie,

Sorry for the delay in the update. This issue has been reported for further investigation.

In the mean time, please try to use the Open Sales Order as work around. it's from Reports > Sales > Open Sales Orders.

Regards

Deny Dharmawan

• Abdulrahman Mansour
    Abdulrahman Mansour Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2018
    Can I know which sales order is invoiced and which isn't, through report?
  • Yvonne L'Abbe-Harrell
    Yvonne L'Abbe-Harrell Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2018
    any update on this issue - because its still an issue
  • Viv A
    edited December 2018
    Yvonne,
    I have the same issue. After spending over an hour on the phone with a support person, we established that one or two unusual items had been set up using the wrong item "Type". eg. for refunding a gifted item that I needed to show on the invoice so that it would be picked for the order.
    This sorted about 50% of mine out - but I have been far too busy to call back and go over the other ones. I ended up having to delete them and re-do those remaining orders... pretty painful.
    Good luck.

• Kim Eyrl
    Kim Eyrl Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2019
    We've got the same problem showing up on our Premier Manufacturing & Wholesale Edition. The amount showing as an open balance on an Sales Order is the same amount as GST. Everything has been invoiced in full and invoices have been paid. Has there been any word as to why this happens?
  • Viv A
    edited September 2019
    Kim,
    Sometimes I find this happens when I make a change on the Tax Invoice instead of making the change on the Order eg. if I add in a line for a credit card processing charge.
    Good luck trying to work it out. It's so random!
  • DRayPruitt
    DRayPruitt Member Posts: 1

I was having the same problem (Sales Orders that had been invoiced showing up on the Open Sales Orders by Customer report). Add something, anything, to the sales order memo. I am adding an "x" and the Sales Order that has been invoiced disappears from the report.