scanner wont work on pos

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
hi i have reckon 2009/10 - all works fine, except recently my datalogic touch 65 scanner broke, so i replaced it with one of the exact specs. However when i use it to scan on POS it just comes up as error selected, key has no function. Oddly it will scan when i go to the product number tab? In options I have selected the correct scanner. How can i resolve this issue please?
Photo of benjaminlobb

benjaminlobb

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Andrew

Andrew

• 22,222 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You need to program the scanner to send a ~ before the barcode and a enter afterwards . check the scanner manual and FAQ on reckon
Photo of Rik Dillon

Rik Dillon

• 280 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Open Notepad or Word or similar and then scan the item.  This will tell if the scanner is adding the tilde (~).  I'm no expert (I don't know if many are with POS) but I've sorted a few things out by the suck-it-and-see method.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

There are experts around, they just don't give their advice away for free ;)
Photo of Rik Dillon

Rik Dillon

I'm sure there are, but they seem hard to find.  The trouble is that you pay for someone who hangs up their shingle but still get someone who just tries different options until it works.  I don't know what your background is but those who subscribe to such forums as these are extremely grateful for your advice. 
Photo of Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell, Accredited Partner

• 53,108 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Rik mate, I do this stuff for a living. I just installed another Reckon Pos system last Friday. You want monkeys and you get peanuts. Ring me 0407744914
(Edited)
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Rik I'm not sure about being grateful, most never come back with a thank you that worked or problem solved. They just stop replying. So guessing they got it sorted. :(

Then we have all the 'reckon partners' on here who do endless self promotion for 'paid' support. I understand they need to make money, but its not a great look. Its one of the biggest turn off on these boards.
Photo of Kevin Russell

Andy mate I've never charged anyone for helping anyone when I responded on this board
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Never said you did Kevin for your advice on here, but a lot of the partners do endless self promotion for the user to contact them for 'paid' support to help them work through the problem they are seeing ;)
Photo of Rik Dillon

Rik Dillon

I seem to have unintentionally opened a can of worms.  I never said I wanted free advice but I have paid for some pretty poor advice in the past. I'm happy to employ someone for a difficult problem and if I source that tech from forums such as this that's fine.  Some of the techs I have spoken with have not been very familiar with POS (even those at QB) -this made me doubt the level of knowledge in this area.
Photo of Kevin Russell

Rik mate your mistake was to choose a consultant who was not conversant with Pos or who flat out lied to you. I know Pos very well. I don't know what else to tell you. Your issue is a very simple one and can be fixed in minutes if you just know what you are doing
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

hehe but Kevin, Rik doesn't have a problem the scanner, he was just replying and trying to help like the rest of us :)
(Edited)
Photo of david mac

david mac

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
please advise how to program a ~ to the barcode scanner
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Hi David, cast your eyes downwards a few posts and you'll see this being answered.

Hint its in the manual, starting at page 30.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Download http://home.reckon.com.au/Portals/2/p...

Start at page 30.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.