Should Child Support Deduction show on the STP file for ATO?

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
I have set up Child Support in the payroll item list of Reckon Accounts Enterprise 2018 with Tax Tracking Type as None and no Taxes ticked so that the amount is deducted after taxing the employee's gross pay.  But this doesn't show as a deduction when downloading the STP file.  Is this correct that the ATO doesn't need to see this deduction?  Thanks.
Photo of Deb

Deb

• 292 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 84,120 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Deb,

Workplace Giving and Union Fees are the only deduction types that are reported through STP.

For more info on what is reported, see the ATO page here - 
https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Single-Touch-Payroll/In-detail/Single-Touch-Payroll-employer-reporting-guidelines/?page=4#What_you_need_to_report
Photo of Deb

Deb

• 292 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thank you!
Photo of Marissa

Marissa

• 708 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rav, following on from this I have an employee paying child support and I got an error processing through STP . From reading the above we do not need to include child support to ATO HOW DO I FIX THIS in my payroll so I can put through ATO STP
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi Marissa,
What is the exact error message you received for this submission?
Photo of Marissa

Marissa

Hi Raz that’s the error message above
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Ok, this one is a bit different. This error message means that there are address details that are incomplete or have special/invalid characters.

Can you please check the addresses for all your employees and ensure they are all completed, valid and don't contain any special characters.
Also, check that you have your details in the My Profile section of the Reckon Portal completed.

Photo of Marissa

Marissa

Thanks Rav I will have a look. Also this error occurred on the 1st pay of this financial year and since then I have processed pays after this and they worked which seems strange. I actually looked up community comments and notice there were some questions with the same error. Sorry should have looked up this before doing my query.

Thanks for still updating me on fixing this.
Photo of Marissa

Marissa

Hi Rav I was wondering as I have processed pays after this and they were submitted with success do I still need to resubmit the pay that had the error.
Just need clarification pls.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi Marissa,
Since STP is reported on a YTD basis, and your LATEST pay event has been successful then there's no need to go back to any prior submissions since your balances are already up to date.
Photo of Marissa

Marissa

Thankyou Rav