stock bought in installments

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
I am trying to close a portfolio which I have had for over 20 years but there there is still a balance showing although everything has been transferred out.  I am going through all my statements from 1995 and it is nightmare for me as maths was definitely not my best subject at school.  I have found one major error when I bought shares in Telecom NZ back in 1998.  I bought 1267 shares but the payment was in 2 installments.  The second installment for $4472.00 for some unknown reason, I have recorded as a sale and not a buy.  The problem is I have no idea how to record this transaction as there is no increase in the number of shares so can't record it as a normal buy.  Would appreciate any help as I am sure I am going to find a lot more problems before this nightmare is finished!
Photo of Carljh

Carljh

• 1,294 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

• 3,878 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Carljh, the correct treatment for a second installment is to enter a Negative Capital Return for the $4,472.  Delete the transaction you have in your file and that enter the Return of Capital and the problem should sort - assuming you have a single file.

Come back with any questions
Photo of Carljh

Carljh

• 1,294 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
You're a legend, worked fine.  The only problem now is that as it was originally a sale, it doesn't show any transactions of that holding after 31/3/1999 including the final sale in the Security Detail View.  Would I have to re-enter any transactions after that date or is there a way to refresh the list.  Really appreciate your help and know I am going to find a lot more problems before I finish this project. 
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Thanks Carlin, but dorsn’t Sound quite fixed. You shouldn’t have to re-enter any transactions. If you removed the errant transaction all should work. Email me on David.stewart@optusnet.com.au and I’ll talk you through how to identify the problem
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

• 3,632 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
My share accounts are out by small amounts (~$50) which l attribute to carried forward amounts from reinvesting dividends. Either an error in Reckon or changes of approach
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Do you mean the Investment Account, John, or the linked Cash Account?  Really shouldn't be any cash in the Investment Account ( assuming you have a linked Bank Account).  Do you Reconcile your Bank Accounts regularly?
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

• 3,632 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I mean the investment account. I don't have a linked Cash Account. For dividend reinvestment, there is a cash balance brought forward (unused from previous dividends) and a revised cash amount unused at the end. In my account, this cash amount remains in the investment account. With dividend reinvestment from multiple companies, most companies report their cash balance, eg ANZ and WBC, but Amcor does not do this.
My problem is that the total cash amount in the Investment Account appears to vary a bit. It would be a bit painful to go through all reinvest transactions and check this cash balance. One account is negative $30 and another is + $50. Far too much work to audit, but it does not look correct. I do find that the reporting of investment account transactions to .prn or .txt file is not good enough to do this in a spreadsheet.
The -ve balance is annoying !
(Edited)
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Understand, John.  Some DRP's carry an exact amount forward, others use the entire balance to issue new shares which therefore have a different cost than that indicated by the company.

It's probably no interest to you, if you have years of records, but it's for that reason that I transfer the cash out of the Investment Account to my main bank account.  I use the Linked Account so I don't have to enter Account Details for every transaction, but it's not essential.

If there's a DRP I create a DRP acount for each company and transfer the dividend into that account and then acquire the new shares from that cash balance -  enables  a ready reckoning with the company's statement.