stock bought in installments

Carljh
Carljh Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
I am trying to close a portfolio which I have had for over 20 years but there there is still a balance showing although everything has been transferred out.  I am going through all my statements from 1995 and it is nightmare for me as maths was definitely not my best subject at school.  I have found one major error when I bought shares in Telecom NZ back in 1998.  I bought 1267 shares but the payment was in 2 installments.  The second installment for $4472.00 for some unknown reason, I have recorded as a sale and not a buy.  The problem is I have no idea how to record this transaction as there is no increase in the number of shares so can't record it as a normal buy.  Would appreciate any help as I am sure I am going to find a lot more problems before this nightmare is finished!

Comments

• John Campbell
    John Campbell Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    My share accounts are out by small amounts (~$50) which l attribute to carried forward amounts from reinvesting dividends. Either an error in Reckon or changes of approach
  • John Campbell
    John Campbell Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I mean the investment account. I don't have a linked Cash Account. For dividend reinvestment, there is a cash balance brought forward (unused from previous dividends) and a revised cash amount unused at the end. In my account, this cash amount remains in the investment account. With dividend reinvestment from multiple companies, most companies report their cash balance, eg ANZ and WBC, but Amcor does not do this.
    My problem is that the total cash amount in the Investment Account appears to vary a bit. It would be a bit painful to go through all reinvest transactions and check this cash balance. One account is negative $30 and another is + $50. Far too much work to audit, but it does not look correct. I do find that the reporting of investment account transactions to .prn or .txt file is not good enough to do this in a spreadsheet.
    The -ve balance is annoying !