Stock price download no longer active as of 1 August

• Announcement
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

On 1 August 2014, the current stock price quotes download functionality will no longer be active and is to be replaced by a service on a new platform.

This is a result of a forced technology change to the domain name servers from which the data is delivered, which takes effect on 1 August. Therefore from this date onwards the stock price quotes download in your current software is expected to cease.

Under these circumstances we have moved the service to a new platform, which will be available in our latest version - Reckon Accounts Personal Plus and Home & Business 2015. If you are currently using this functionality and wish to continue to use it, an upgrade to the 2015 version is required. In the meantime, you may manually update your stock prices from ASX.

A guide on how to manually update your share prices is available within the community.
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

• 34,812 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of David Warren

David Warren

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I cannot believe that the company can only give it's customers 2 days notice that the stock downloading will no longer be available, AND that we will have to wait 7 days before being able to get an update to allow it. Yes, it will be available in the 2015 version however that was to be released in the second quarter of 2014 (see below for extract from email). My confidence in this company is being sorely tested.

Reckon Accounts Personal Plus is the new name for Quicken Personal Plus. For a limited time as a loyal customer, if you upgrade to the latest release you may be eligible to benefit from a range of special offers:*

A free upgrade to Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2014, due out in the second quarter of 2014, worth up to $140

And yes, I did upgrade.
Photo of Chris Chalkley

Chris Chalkley

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
How do I get this upgrade?
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

• 3,932 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

As a user of Quicken for nearly 20 years, I too have been struggling with the share price updates, and over the last 10 years I have repeatedly emailed requests to improve the functionality, so that I could more easily export and import the price information to correct when I forget to update every 7 days. The rare responses from Quicken/Reckon has been less than satisfactory. 

Now we are given 24 hours notice that the service is to be removed, with the excuse of a change of server. Surely if it is only a change of server, this could have been more seamlessly applied to the existing software. Why couldn't the previous server functionality be provided at a new address so our existing software continue to work ?

This appears to be a poorly planned change, with little regard for the QPP user community. My only hope is the new server provides some improved functionality, although the past history of support for share price downloads makes me sceptical.

We have been your loyal customers and I don't think you should take that for granted in this way.

Photo of gp doc

gp doc

• 240 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Hi John

Your comment was better constructed but my anger is causing me to think very unkindly of the Reckon incompetence... Will start to look for another program when I finish typing this.  I have used all their products for about 20 years also will I be with them next year ?

Photo of gp doc

gp doc

Incompetence is no excuse for personal failure I paid $249 on 26 June for a full year I expect my renewal next year to allow for every minute that I cannot download .  Why do you think I have purchased this software to manage a share portfolio.   I am disgusted with this customer service.

Will I be able to download from 7 August 2014 if not will apply for a full refund.

Photo of gp doc

gp doc

When will the new "RECKON Accounts Home and Buisness 2013 R1" replacement program be available.

This program should be in my letterbox now.

Photo of Cynical Pierre

Cynical Pierre

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Not happy, Mirko.
I migrated to Reckon Accounts Personal Plus specifically for the stock updates.
In fact, the stock updates is probably the primary reason anyone would install it.
So now you are giving your valued customers 2 days notice that it is about to be pulled?
What would you say to your own internal IT guys if they gave you 2 days notice that your email was going down for a week ? Nothing you could publish on this forum, I reckon.
Poor effort ....
I'll be looking at alternatives now.
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hi,

Thank you all for your feedback. Reckon Accounts personal products will be updated in August. The new version, available from 7 August, will provide share price feeds via a new reckon.com domain in the product. For current users of the share price download functionality in Reckon Accounts Personal Plus and Reckon Accounts Home & Business, this means you’ll need to upgrade to the latest program to use that feature. The feature has not been removed, it just means that the domain in the product used to download share prices has been moved, which requires users to upgrade. We had hoped to provide a more seamless experience for our users and more notice of this change, but unfortunately this hasn’t been possible, we apologise for this.  On 1 August 2014 the quicken.com.au domain, which is currently used to fetch share prices, will become owned by Intuit in the U.S. and we will replace this with a new share price feed in the product using the reckon.com domain. In the long-term having this functionality on our infrastructure will be better for our customers as it gives us greater control over how the feeds connect with the program, however in the short-term it does also mean that there may be several days when customers are unable to use the share price functionality. As part of this change we have taken steps to provide eligible customers with discounts on the 2015 Reckon Accounts personal programs, as below:

• Customers who activated Reckon Accounts Personal Plus and Reckon Accounts Home & Business on or after 1 August 2013 are entitled to a free upgrade;
  • Current Reckon Accounts Personal Plus and Reckon Accounts Home & Business subscription customers are entitled to the free upgrade;
  • Current advantage customers using Reckon Accounts Personal Plus and Reckon Accounts Home & Business are entitled to the free upgrade;
  • Those customers using Reckon Accounts Personal Plus and Reckon Accounts Home & Business that activated before the 31 July 2013 will get a pro-rata discount;
  • Share price download for Upgrade and full version customers runs for 2 years from activation. Therefore customers who activated on or before 31st July 2012 would need purchase an upgrade

If you let us know what product you’re currently using we can let you know what options we have for you, you should also feel free to post any further questions you have about the new version of the program or the share price functionality.
Photo of gp doc

gp doc

When will the new software package be delivered to my Post Box???
Photo of Trevor Watson

Trevor Watson

• 1,478 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Couldn't users just create/edit their HOSTS file to point the quicken.com.au to reckon.com IP address?

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-surprising-uses-for-the-windows-hosts-file/

Photo of Tim D'Elmaine

Tim D'Elmaine

• 62 Points
I also need to be able to continue updating daily stock prices.
How do I obtain the free upgrade?
Photo of Jane Dillon

Jane Dillon

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

The upgrade I got was not free but discounted for the time left on our program. They did a pro-rata discount so I think the price depends on how long you have left on your existing licence

Photo of Albert

Albert

• 404 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I pay an annual subscription (20 year user). When will I get v2015?
Photo of Ray Constantine

Ray Constantine

• 60 Points
I did all this last when it happened Mirko, but I noted that all my historical data had gone.  I was told to be patient and to watch this space.  I'm still watching.  I've been using variants of this product since the late 1900's when it was called Cashbook.  If I can find something else I'll be changing to it.
Photo of Kevin K

Kevin K

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Perfect way to create disatisfied customers.

I Reckon that Reckon has found the perfect way to create customer dissatisfaction. What really upset me was the short notice that a highly valued feature of this product is going to be lost. I have been a subscriber to this software for many years (started about 1999) largely because of this Stock price download feature and to loose it at extremely short notice is disappointing to say the least made worse by the lack of knowledge of what the Reckon replacement product will cost. I am now looking for other software that will meet my needs. Any suggestions?
Photo of Doug

Doug

• 138 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Doug here from Sharesight. We might be able to help. You can maintain your portfolios in our system - we automatically update investment portfolios with price, dividend, and corporate action data every day.

All data is exportable, which could then be fed into Reckon from what I understand.

This way you'd be relying on a purpose built portfolio tracking and tax app vs an accounting app.
Photo of gp doc

gp doc

Had a brief look at sharesight  it does not have the bank account features but the share side is OK.
Photo of Doug

Doug

• 138 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi GP Doc - we integrate with Macquarie Cash Management accounts and will by next week offer bank account features via our Xero integration (we'll pull back all bank account data from any connected Xero account)

Our YouTube channel already has a  how to video on this posted.
Photo of Keely Anthony

Keely Anthony

OK... its August 7th, 6:52pm EST... where's Reckon Accounts Personal Plus or H&B 2015????
Photo of gp doc

gp doc

I wish Reckon could count no wonder they have problem with accounting packages
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hi Keely & GP Doc, I've chased this up on your behalves to clarify the situation. RA Personal 2015 will be out on Monday, there has been some final testing deployed to ensure the release occurs without a hitch. My apologies for the timing of this notice. I have been assured that the product will go live Monday 11th August. Thank you for your patience and understanding. - Mirko
Photo of pmchristo .

pmchristo .

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

What other software has the same or better features than Quicken Personal Plus?

You could not write a better instructional manual on how to get rid of customers with the way this whole upgrade thing (capped off with the stock data fiasco) has been managed.

Photo of David Warren

David Warren

I have found ibank 5 for the mac is working quite well.
Photo of Chris Chalkley

Chris Chalkley

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Just like the others, I have been using Quicken since 1997, precisely because it can marry my share portfolios transactions and values with my bank balances. How do I get this upgrade?
Photo of Brad

Brad

• 60 Points
I too am aghast at what quicken have done here and they have lost my loyalty. I have downloaded bank 5 for mac and am attempting to migrate my data from ReckonAccounts Personal Plus 2013. It seems that bank can only import data one account at a time via qif format. However, I cannot see how to export my data from personal plus - does anyone have any suggestions? methinks quicken have locked up MY data in their product so I have no means of migrating to another package.
Photo of Narky One

Narky One

• 1,232 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I am still on Personal Plus 2013 - not wanting to install PP 2015 until I absolutely have to (it is dangerous to dive into murky waters!).
Until now, the Stock Price download has kept on working in 2013, despite the notice above that it would cease on 1 August. Until last night that is. For Australian stocks, my latest prices are 28/8/14, but if it was working still or properly, they would be 29/8/14. Interestingly, the US stocks have updated to 29/8/14.
Does anyone know for sure that the updates using Personal Plus 2013 have now permanently ceased? If so, I will need to take that plunge into the murky waters and install 2015. I have started my prayers, in case.
Photo of Judith Davis

Judith Davis

• 266 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
My PP Plus 2013 nolonger updates the share prices I just go to the ASX and put in the share codes write them down on a piece of paper and then put them into the shre portfolio.  I too am reluctant to get the 2014 PP version.
Photo of Jane Dillon

Jane Dillon

I bought the update for PP2013 and installed it but it still won't update the stock quotes. Can't reinstall as the link no longer works. I thought I was buying an update to 2014 but my program still say 2013

Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hi Jane, the upgrade should be 2015. Please give customer service a call on 1800 RECKON to look into this matter. Thanks, Mirko.
Photo of Jane Dillon

Jane Dillon

Thanks Mirko I got on to them and now have the correct upgrade. It all works

Jane

I just saw that Sharesight is now offering Xero Cashbook for $15 a month. Could be a good alternative. http://sharesight.com/cashbook
Photo of Michael Sandner

Michael Sandner

• 238 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have been using fully paid versions of this software for nearly 20 years and will not stay in the silent portion of the community who fail to complain about the  shoddy state of the  services  we have paid for.
Given my long term investment I have been loathe to explore alternatives  but given  a choice between spending time to make this  software work or break in new software it is clear what the choice should be.
Reckon , You should be ashamed of yourself.
You should have done better.
Guess what !
The experience I received here shall be reflected in my future choice of  software for  my business and  in my recommendations  to friends, colleagues and  anyone  who asks.
Photo of Keith

Keith

I have copied below a post I put on Quicken USA (Intuit) website as my Reckon HAB took me there when I had a question.  The people there redirected me to the Reckon web.  I hope this helps some of you who struggled to make sense of what Reckon has done to the share download....:

"After much reading on https://community.reckon.com.au/reckon/topics/how_to_manually_update_share_prices_in_personal_plus_hab?topic-reply-list[settings][page]=2#topic-reply-list     for
the last 24hrs (for goodness sake, they suggested manually putting in the share/stock prices!!) and many dead end links asking me to pay for upgrades I finally find this URL:
http://members.reckon.com/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fSubscription%2fDefault.aspx which is a "members" login (member = current subscriber with ID and PIN)  which tells me I am eligible for a "free" upgrade (even though I'm already subscribed well into next year) which I am downloading now.  Hope these links are helpful to anyone who struggled like me (even though it's on an Intuit site and not a Reckon site).  Thanks to all for their help"

Photo of Erik Podubinski

Erik Podubinski

• 60 Points
I've 'batttled' with Quicken/Reckon since early to mid 90's and came to the conclusion many years ago they just don't care about their customers.  I've just returned from overseas and now find I can't download share prices and so found this discussion link.  I'm more than ready to ditch this company so any good experiences with a software program that manages shares, property, bank statements in different entities, please advise.  This has been the WORST COMPANY I've ever dealt with anywhere in the world.
Photo of Property Mogul

Property Mogul

• 146 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
If you find any comparable product let me know. You won't find one though. You're not the first or last too look into it.
Photo of Narky One

Narky One

• 1,232 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Would the US one (intuit Quicken), say the Deluxe version, work with RA Personal Plus 2013 files?
Photo of Property Mogul

Property Mogul

Nope. Intuit aren't even compatible with there own regional offerings. Only option would be to start a new file, and then they might not have access to ASX (don't know that myself). There are third party tools & services which can export data and reimport as IIF, but that could cost you hundreds of dollars.
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

• 3,932 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

PM,

I've adopted a position of wait and see. Until something changes:

• I source ASX price and volume data from a publically available source
  • Scan the .qph file to identify all missing price records (since Jan-2008) and write these as a valid .csv file. (removed 7 years of gaps!)

• Import these prices into the .qph file, using RPP 2013

• Rescan the .qph file and directly change the volume records that were imported incorrectly.

This works for me and when Reckon lets us know what the new improvements are in RPP 2015 I will look at their solution. Until then I have a better solution than what Reckon is able to or prepared to release.

Reckon: you need help.  You make a change like this and you are legally OBLIGED to push it to your customers.  Instead I need to piss around and search for it.

Waffling on about advantages rather than telling people where to get the damned upgrade in inexcusable.

YOU MUST DO BETTER.
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hi Christopher, all information relating to upgrade can be found here: https://community.reckon.com.au/reckon/topics/reckon_accounts_personal_range_2015_now_released

As mentioned above the change was not made by choice, but due to legal requirements.
On 1 August 2014 the quicken.com.au domain, which is currently used to fetch share prices, will become owned by Intuit in the U.S. and we will replace this with a new share price feed in the product using the reckon.com domain.

Apologies if any inconvenience has been caused.
Photo of Property Mogul

Property Mogul

You might think that.... but...

Third Party Online Services:

The Services may contain access to, or features that interface with, third party online services ("Third Party Online Services"). Where Third Party Online Services are available, separate terms and conditions with the provider of the Third Party Online Services may apply. Charges may apply for the use of Third Party Online Services. Except as required by the Consumer Guarantees, access to Third Party Online Services may be withdrawn by Reckon at any time. Reckon does not make any recommendations in relation to the Third Party Online Services or accept any liability or responsibility for any loss or damage relating to the Third Party Online Services except as required by the Consumer Guarantees.

Would cost you more to see out a Solicitor to even consult on this for you than the upgrade. Issue here is that software is very loosely defined by Aus Consumer Law and offers far more protection to the Corporations than Consumers/Users.

Mirko: I have been in the software game for at least 25 years.  I know that sometimes you need to do stuff.  Reckon have done this BADLY.  Actually I find it hard to believe that you are more than a couple of programmers in a garage you have done it SO BADLY.  Giving me the information in a post in a forum that I never visit is similar to the location of the plans for the demolition of Arthur Dent's house. http://www.clivebanks.co.uk/THHGTTG/THHGTTGradio1.htm Read it all.
As I said: you need to push this to your customers.  You also need to give them time.  That you needed to do it quickly smacks of hopeless incompetence.
And, for sure, you could get a license from reckon.com to use their domain at least temporarily.
REALLY BAD EXPERIENCE WITH THIS.
NO MORE EXCUSES.
You might also put the information at the top of your FAQs.  But no.  Can't do that.  Requires thought.
Photo of Morgyn Hastings

Morgyn Hastings

Note to all regarding the upgrade: I grabbed it as soon as it was available. Since then it crashes every time I go to do many things.
I have had an issue logged for 2 weeks with very little reply or constructive help ... One of their suggestions was to run it on another computer to test, however you can't do that as the single license kicks in and kills the program!

I think reckon have picked up on the dissatisfaction and to stop people jumping ship they have now made it virtually impossible to get your data out in order to take it anywhere else ... as I have discovered that in Home and Business 2015 you can no longer export anything other than Address List and Tax Summary. QIF export has completely gone!

I too have been a 15 year customer of this product, faithfully upgrading every year ... I have now given up! And am on the hunt for a replacement ... suggestions are very welcome.
Photo of gp doc

gp doc

Export Reckon Accounts data to Advance Desktop Super

Note: This feature is available to Reckon Accounts Personal Plus and Reckon Accounts Home and Business only.

Reckon Accounts integrates with Advance Desktop Super. Advance Desktop Super is a self managed superannuation software package designed for professionals in Australia who administer superannuation funds.

You can export data from Reckon Accounts in CSV format and then import them into Advance Desktop Super. For example, if you are an accountant or a manager of superannuation funds, you can export data from Reckon Accounts investment accounts to use in Advance Desktop Super.

Does this help or am i being suckered?

Photo of Morgyn Hastings

Morgyn Hastings

Thanks for the GP Doc ... but I am trying to export ALL Transactions so that I can import them back into a CLEAN reckon Data file
Photo of Michael Sandner

Michael Sandner

• 238 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi everyone
I updated to the 2015 version and everything seems to be working.
I did have to uninstall reckon accounts 2013 so I seem to have avoided any problems

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.