Stocks and Shares not updating (Fri 10 Jul 2015)

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I use Reckon Personal Accounts (Australian Version) 2015.   My stocks and shares are not automatically updating for Friday 15 Jul 2015.

When will this be rectified?
Photo of st

st

• 2,250 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

• 5,652 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Agree with your comments, David.  My concern is that Reckon is committed to their Accounting packages - advertising quite heavily at the moment - and are treating RPP as a legacy product.  One gets the feeling they have not committed any resources to maintaining the product.  Witness it took a week to even identify the problem!
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

• 3,170 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I think you are correct. Imagine if Quickbooks was out for a week. What reaction would there be from small businesses? A quality business just does not abandon their clients no matter how small. Karma wins in the end.
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

I agree David. That's why I use RPP, it integrates everything. I just use yahoo finance for checking the portfolio value, as a second opinion and research, until I again have confidence in RPP. Charting and research in RPP is not worth a cracker.
Photo of Carljh

Carljh

• 1,344 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I agree with the comment that all Reckon are interested in is their Business products and treat PP as a necessary evil (although if you check out some of their forums, there is discontent there too).  As maths was by far my worse subject at school I rely on PP not just to manage my portfolios but all my everyday transactions as everybody says, it is the only product on the market that can handle all these roles.  I have been using PP (Quicken) since the days of Windows 95 and doubt if any other long time users could pick much difference in the UI then to what it is now?  All the other long running programs that I use have major updates every couple of years or so and regular updates to fix bugs - can anyone remember the last time Reckon released an update to do this?  I know very little about programming, but it seems to me that Reckon just tweak the code to make it work with new versions of Windows where it probably needs a complete rewrite.  What joys have we got to look forward to with Windows 10?  I actually wonder if Reckon employ any programmers or only sales staff?  I am at a stage now due to my very large database, to do anything out of the ordinary with the program in case it spits the dummy.  This problem that I have just reported about my totals being way out since repairing  the price updates scares me as at the moment I am not game to run the daily updates as I can't see why this is happening as all the transactions seem to be ok.  I am glad that at least one other person has experienced a similar problem (sorry AnneC).
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

• 34,812 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Carl and Anne, I'm sorry to hear you figures do not look right. Could you please email me (community@reckon.com) your customer ID. It sounds like there maybe an error within the datafile - as the issue has not been reported by the wide customer base. It would be great to have a look into this for you.

On a side note, within our couple hundred staff members, we have IT, Development and Support departments which supplement the Sales side of the business, these teams are spread over Australia, NZ and UK. Look forward to hearing from you. ^Mirko
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

Your prompt attention to our forum friends' problem is appreciated. Thanks Mirko.
Photo of Doug Jardine

Doug Jardine

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Thanks Mirko for your efforts this month.

Something for your management and your Board. Many of us use or advise on deployment of Reckon's full range of software to SMEs.

Human nature bundles a bad experience on one product across the whole business.

Just a thought . . .

Cheers

Doug

Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Thanks for your feedback Doug both on the products and my efforts. I apologies for any response I have missed, there's been a few too many to keep up with - if only there was a way to clone myself I'd be on here (and active) 24/7!

Look forward to looking through Carl and AnneC's issues Leif - I understand that many RPP users run their SMSFs, retirement planning, investments (both property and stock/share) along with their day to day and budgeting through the product - which means different issues have impacts of varied severity for each individual user. For this reason I am continuing to pass on all the user product feedback up the chain and run through the support channels for any issues that arise which like Carl & AnneC's issue could just be a data issue.

As we have implemented changes to the way the share price infrastructure functions, I hope that this is a thing of the past. We're also looking for a full rebuild of this infrastructure in the short term future to provide greater user experience and stability.

Photo of David Hynd

David Hynd

• 552 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
For those of you who are having trouble reconciling account balances in PP it may be due to a variety of reasons.  

What's the basis for comparison, portfolio positions in E*Trade, Commsec, Yahoo,spreadsheet etc?   You should check the following things

Firstly, are the current Individual stock prices the same?

Secondly are the underlying purchase prices for each stock the same?  If you have multiple transactions for the same security with a mix of buys and sells then the average purchase price may differ.  E*Trade and others work on a FIFO basis.  If you choose to sell a particular parcel (the ATO allows this) then your average cost value will differ.  This can be significant.

Thirdly, have splits, demergers etc been properly adjusted?  If you held BHP then E*Trade won't adjust the purchase price of your BHP shares when you received your S32 shares.  

If all the above is identical in both PP and your comparison portfolio and there's still a difference in portfolio value then perhaps there is a data file issue which needs to be checked out.

David
Photo of David Dearman

David Dearman

• 258 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Mirko for your support.  I think what I and others having been saying is that Reckon does not seem to recognise the value of the PP community that they have.  

The ATO statistics shoe that as of a year ago there were 534,176 SMSF's in Australia growing at 6% approx. per year. see https://www.ato.gov.au/Super/Self-managed-super-funds/In-detail/Statistics/Quarterly-reports/Self-ma...

Each one of these (> 1/2 million) SMSF's is a potential customer for Reckon, but they need to invest in this market place if they are not to lose to companies such as BGL who are now offering cloud based solutions.  Alternatively they should spin off this business to someone who wants to develop the capability and make it a core business.  Please pass onto your management.  Good luck, we want you to succeed - it's our own money that we are playing with after all (well and the other trustees!)
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

• 5,652 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Mirko, if Reckon have operations in the UK is there any prospect of being able to download UK stock prices, as we can with the US?
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

I don't believe this will be the case as the UK operations are not directly tied to the personal and business range of software more so Practice & Office Management software. I can raise this with product management as a feature request to be investigated.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.