Stop duplication of reference numbers

Rachael Horsburgh
Rachael Horsburgh Member Posts: 5
edited September 2019 in Reckon One
Hi All, 

I am wondering if there is a way to lock the reference field in "Bills" to stop the system allowing the entry of duplicate invoice numbers, or at the very least providing a warning that it is a duplicate number.

I have only just started using the Reckon One and one of the main things I was hoping for was a way of detecting duplicate invoices and it's a bit disappointing that it will allow me to create as many bills as I like with the same reference number.

Thanks in advance.
Rachael 

Comments

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited August 2017
    Hello Rachael,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

Reckon One assigns unique Bill numbers to each bill entry - you can see these on the Day to Day > Money Out > Bills, table.  The Reference field is an optional field to be used in any way the user chooses.  

I hope this explains the fields' intended uses.

regards,
    John.
  • Archana Patel
    Archana Patel Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2017
    Hi John, I am entering bills that way, but that won't stop duplicate invoice entry of same supplier, no warning been display. Is there any way to stop duplicate reference number entry of the same supplier's bill? Thanks
  • Archana Patel
    edited July 2017
    Hi Rachael, do you have any luck with duplicate reference number query? I am facing the same issue but not sure how to stop that. Thanks

• Archana Patel
    edited July 2017
    Hi John, I am entering bills that way, but that won't stop duplicate invoice entry of same supplier, no warning been display. Is there any way to stop duplicate reference number entry of the same supplier's bill? Thanks
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited August 2017
    Hi there Archana,

The reference field is just for reference details, and does not act as the unique bill identifier number which you'll find in the top left hand corner.

What are you using the field for in your specific case?

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Archana Patel
    edited August 2017
    Hi Rav
    I am using reference field as invoice number. Is there any other field I can use for invoice number which give me warning if I enter the same number again.?
  • John G
    edited August 2017
    Hi Archana,

The Reference field is not a unique field - it is an open field for the user to use in their own way.  You are not prevented from using the exact same number or text string in this field in multiple invoices.  It was not a design intention that the Reference field be used as an alternative Invoice number.  

Reckon One does assign unique Invoice numbers - you can see them at the top left of the invoice and on the Invoice table.  

If you choose to use the Reference field for alternative invoice numbers, and the uniqueness of the field is critical, then you will need to develop alternative strategies to ensure the entry to this field is unique.  

Hope this helps.  

regards,
    John
  • Rachael Horsburgh
    edited August 2017
    Hi Archana,

Nope everything I've found says the same as the above. 
    It's the only real issue I have with Reckon so far. I was really hoping that, as we have a few different users, it would have a field where you enter the invoice number of the bill you are paying and will at least warn you if it is a duplicate. 

Only system I have used so far that does not have this option in some way. I get that it provides a unique number but that doesn't help if you have previously received the same invoice from the supplier and are mistakenly entering it again. Currently the only option is to review the previously entered invoices to check which is quite tedious :?

Hopefully this is something that Reckon will consider working on in the future. 

• Archana Patel
    edited August 2017
    Thanks John. Sorry, I think there is a bit of confusion here. What you explained was for the customer invoice, which I understand. But I am after a way to stop duplication of reference numbers for supplier bills. 
  • Archana Patel
    edited August 2017
    Yes Rachael, you are right, let's hope they will do something. Thanks
  • John G
    edited August 2017
    Hello Archana,

Bills format is the same way as the Invoices format.  .

regards,
    John
  • John G
    edited August 2017
    Hi Rachel, Archana,

I will add this suggestion to our ideas database for consideration in future updates.

regards,
    John
  • Rachael Horsburgh
    edited August 2017
    Thanks John, that would be amazing!!
  • Rachael Horsburgh
    edited August 2017
    Yep fingers crossed :)
  • Skye McClymont_7194761
    Skye McClymont_7194761 Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2019
    Hi, I know this is an old thread, but has anything been added to Reckon One as yet to fill this gap when it comes to the invoice numbers on bills received from suppliers?  I'd love for there to be that function to warn of a duplicated supplier invoice number.  Thanks.