STP App - Can't make negative 2018-19 adjustment (amongst other problems)

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • (Edited)

When I first used the app back in May (and before I was locked out - https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/how-do-i-reset-an-incorrect-stp-app-username-e-mail-address)
I made a one-off (final pay) report to the ATO that doubled up in the Annual
Income Statement because I foolishly put the payments into the YTD field at set-up as well as making a payroll report.

Now that I have access to my account, I thought I could just make an adjustment that would correct the YTD figures.  I have created a draft adjustment to the doubled-up pay, but cannot edit the figures to include a negative amount.  I can enter a “-‘’, but as soon as I enter any figure, the app deletes the entry and displays “YTD total can’t be negative  Please check and update your adjustment amount”.

I suspect the problem is related to the fact that my 2019-20 YTD totals are also incorrect.

The first time I logged in after being locked out, I selected “No” at the “Have you made any payments since 1 July 2019?” screen. When I went to check the YTD figures (to confirm the duplication in 2018-19), my pay summary in the employee tab correctly showed the current year totals were all zero, but did not show any 2018-19 figures.  I logged in again and selected “skip this” at the “Have you made any payments since 1 July 2019?” screen and was correctly shown the duplicate totals as amounts for last year (2018-19).  However, after logging in again later and selecting “skip this” again, my pay summary in the employee tab now shows last year’s duplicate totals as amounts for the current year (2019-20).  Having selected “skip this” twice, I no longer get the “Have you made any payments since 1 July 2019?” screen when I log in and can’t seem to find a way to tell the app that I haven’t made any 2019-20 reports.  Clearing cache data and reinstalling the app makes no difference.

While the 2019-20 YTD error is not an immediate problem (and I am unlikely to need to report this FY, so the error will not go to the ATO), I cannot make the necessary adjustment to my 2018-19 YTD figures.

I’m also concerned that, if I can make the adjustment, it will reset the last pay flag and the Annual Income Statement will no longer be Tax Ready (given the likelihood that the Tax Ready flag would be reset - https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/how-do-i-process-end-of-year-finalisation-on-reckon-stp-app).  My plan was to make an adjustment for the double amount and, once that was processed, simply repeat the single pay report as a final.  I’m a bit concerned as well that there is nowhere in the draft repeat pay screen to tick “Final pay”.  I haven’t got that far yet, but is that an option on the Declaration screen?

So, to summarise:

2019-20 YTD totals currently show incorrect 2018-19 totals;

I can’t enter negative adjustments to the single 2018-19 pay report; and

I can’t see a “Final pay” option for my proposed repeat final pay.

Photo of Darryn

Darryn

• 512 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • Frustrated

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 84,058 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Darryn,
When you are attempting to create the negative balance adjustment to amend the 2018/19 figures, what date are you entering as the 'Pay Date' in the app for the adjustment? It needs to be June 30 to adjust previous year figures but please let me know.
Yes you're correct the final pay checkbox will appear on the declaration page after completing the adjustment and proceeding.

In terms of the 2019/20 YTD including the previous year figures, that's sounds a bit strange. Can you let me know which version of the app you're using? (Will be listed at the bottom of the Settings page in the app)
Photo of Darryn

Darryn

I entered the date of the original pay (24 Apr).  Are you suggesting that I should (can only?) set the date as 30 June?  In any case, I created a new adjustment for 30 June and still get the original error when I try to enter a negative value.  So it seems to be something to do with the fact that the 2018-19 YTD figures are now in 2019-20.

Here's a screen shot of the Pay summary page with (masked) doubled up 2018-19 YTD figures showing as 2019-20 figures (that should all be zero).

If the "Final Pay" check box appears on the declaration page after the adjustment is completed, does that mean I should just be able to make one report (adjustment) rather than the two (adjustment and new report) that I was proposing?  It suggests that the person whose adjustment caused the "Tax Ready" flag to change simply missed the "Final Pay" check box when they sent it in.

The app version is 1.4.0.

Photo of Linda Indrisie

Linda Indrisie

• 314 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi, I'm having this same problem. I need to do an negative adjustment for 2018/2019. This was because the app said a payrun was declined. So the client put it through again. However, the ATO had already recorded the declined payrun. So the 2018/2019 figures have an extra payrun in them. And the 2019/2020 are also showing the 2018/2019 figures, as well as the payments for July. Please advise how to fix for a negative adjustment. Also, my app version is 1.4.0
(Edited)
Photo of Darryn

Darryn

I just logged in and was offered the “Have you made any payments since 1 July 2019?” screen again.  I said no this time.  I can't think of anything I did differently (and this was before I was the developer's guinea pig for their fix of the email address problem - https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/how-do-i-reset-an-incorrect-stp-app-username-e-mail-addre...).

Nevertheless, my 2019-20 YTD figures are still wrong and I consequently still can't make a negative 2018-19 adjustment.

After the first attempt at an adjustment after getting the “Have you made any payments since 1 July 2019?” screen I also forced a stop of the app, cleared my cache and had to re-enter a verification code (trying to clear anything that might have caused the problem).  I'm consequently back on version 1.3.1 for the moment, although I suspect it will update (as has previously been the case) if I leave it open for a while.

(Edited)
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 82,770 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Darryn,
Just so I understand the flow of where we are at right now.
Have you submitted ANY pay events for the CURRENT (new) financial year?

From what I understand about the app, it has a reset process for YTD balances which takes effect when the first pay run of the year is submitted.
Photo of Linda Indrisie

Linda Indrisie

My client has submitted July payments, just the 2020 YTD figures include the 2019 figures.
Photo of Darryn

Darryn

No, no payments this year, and none will be made in the near future (I take consultancies on a very selective basis and am not currently planning to put any through the company this FY).

Your comment suggests that I won't be able to make negative adjustments to 2018-19 until I make a (dummy?) pay in 2019-20.  I'd rather not report anything that's not actually occurred (even if it's a dummy pay followed by a reversal) just to fix a bug in the app.
Photo of Linda Indrisie

Linda Indrisie

Darryn, I don't think doing a dummy payrun will help. In my situation, they've paid $44K in 2019, Paid $1.5K in July. Yet the YTD in 2020 are showing $45.5K. It's a bug, they're refusing to acknowledge and don't know how to fix.
Photo of Linda Indrisie

Linda Indrisie

Hi Darryn, since Reckon is no help, I rang the ATO. They advised they have had lots of complaints from Reckon over the same thing. Technically if the 2019 STP payroll figures are incorrect, you have to get your current software provider to fix. However, if they're not taking calls or giving you help, like Reckon, you can issue a paper payment summary then ring the tax office and they can cancel the STP info they have for 2019. I'm an accountant and tax agent, and I'll be sure to warn my clients about using this app. Not only is it full of bugs, you can't get any support.
Photo of Darryn

Darryn

Coincidentally, I got a call from the ATO yesterday wanting to make sure that I put in my STP reports as there was no record (for reasons above) of any reports since May.  I explained that I wouldn't need to report and outlined my problems with the app to the woman who called.  She said she wasn't surprised by my experience with it, but also couldn't help me with alternative reporting methods and basically left me with the impression that I was stuck until Reckon got their act together.

I did find the form for sending in a hard copy payment summary but have no idea how to generate/get the "the ATO original of the payment summaries issued" given that it specifies "Payment summaries printed from payroll software should not accompany this form. Use ATO printed payment summary forms."

I'm a sole Director/employee, so I really just need to produce payroll reports to keep the ATO happy and have never generated an "ATO original" by payroll software or other means. My company accounts are adequately kept on a very old copy of MYOB and I've previously used it to generate a EMPDUPE.A01 file that I was able to send in electronically.  Sadly the file it generates is no longer compliant and I was lulled into thinking that the STP app would be a simple way of making the relevant EOY report.

Although of my own making, this problem, together with the login lock out I suffered, has made the whole process a time consuming nightmare.  I can see how the app would have been a terrific way to do the reporting, but my searches here have made it clear that it simply cannot cope when people make simple mistakes (which is almost always!).  That said, I think the app is leading people into some of the mistakes and there are bugs (such as this) that simply should not be in it.
Photo of Linda Indrisie

Linda Indrisie

HI Darryn, to produce the old fashion paper PAYG payment summaries, you need to order the stationary from the ATO. You can do it through the ATO website rather quickly. Or see if your accountant has any spare. If you're still having trouble, let me know.

I sympathize with the time wasting effort. I've spend hours of non billable time helping this poor client who really did nothing wrong. Sure, the app is free. But people downloaded it in good faith that it would work, and it doesn't. 
Photo of Darryn

Darryn

Thanks Linda.  I eventually found the individual PAYG payment form online (with the comforting words "ATO Original" on it), so I can print the hard copies I need.  Given the time needed for processing, I suspect I have to ring the ATO and ask if I can have the STP records wiped and send in the forms.

I haven't had to do anything like this since the last century.