STP App "Errors" can be wrongly reported by ATO

• Idea
  • Updated 2 months ago
ABN 99 582 633 086
Not sure about question/idea/problem or praise but I signed up for the Reckon STP App some time ago.  When I started I had an issue with a number  of "JSON object  error's" which I ultimately solved.
But, during the process I had 15 "declined' pay/adjustments events tagged as errors.  What I have ultimately found was that ALL 15 pay events and adjustments, despite being reported as declined by the ATO were in fact recorded. 
I did make an adjustment of this which was accepted.
At the time, the only check I has was for my employee to look at his MyGov account but thankfully we now have the employee report.    
I felt confident to lodge the FINAL pay for the year only to receive yet another error message.  Despite that, I find that the pay run was actually recorded and marked as FINAL and this was due to information provided by my employee from his My\gov account. 

ERROR reports are being delivered by Reckon and the ATO seem to be still accepting the information sent. Something is not matching ?? 
Photo of Timothy E Mylne

Timothy E Mylne

• 532 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 83,826 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Timothy,
For the pay events that are showing in an error state but reportedly have gone through to the ATO, what is the error message within those respective pay events? Is it the same error "JSON incorrect value" error?
Also, for the final pay event that also returned an error, what was the error message for that one?
Photo of Timothy E Mylne

Timothy E Mylne

Good Morning Rav
The 15 pays and adjustments errors were ALL due to "Your JSON object has some incorrect values.." and this was ultimately rectified by removing some inverted commas in an employee address.  The last pay/finalization error was "ATO sent the poll response but the service failed to deserialize it.."  I do remember lodging it at about 4:45 pm on a Friday afternoon, if that has any bearing!
I ultimately got the correct information in the Reckon Employee Pay Summary and he checked his MyGov as well.
P.S. As an aside I just opened the Employee Pay Summary and note that the 2018-19 year figures are no longer there and the page has rolled on ready for the 2019-20 year. Just as it should be. Thanks.
Photo of Alli Hopkins

Alli Hopkins

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Timothy & Rav,

I also have had the same problem with the 'declined' pay runs going through to the ATO from the Reckon STP phone app.  My errors were caused as my employee gave me the incorrect TFN.  Can you please tell me how you did an adjustment to correct the employee's taxable income?
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 83,244 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi guys,
Can you confirm if the STP data that was sent from the app in the erroneous pay events were for employees that the error did not relate to?
For example, Timothy in your post above you mentioned that there was an error in the employee details which you have now rectified. However when you confirmed the data in the employee's MyGov, was that the same employee (that had the error) or a different employee?

From my understanding, employees who are set up correctly etc will still be submitted. Only those employees who the error(s) specifically relate to will not be transmitted.
Photo of Timothy E Mylne

Timothy E Mylne

Rav
The answer to Para. 1 is NO.  In this instance there is only 1 employee.  Errors and confirmations relate to the same employee.
Photo of Timothy E Mylne

Timothy E Mylne

Alli
If you have done a finalization I have no idea.
If your YTD data is still open you simply go to the Pay Runs page and click the + sign in the top right hand corner and select new adjustment.  For a date use a date maybe late June and fill in -GROSS; -TAX and - Super if applicable and send it off.  You only need one adjustment for the total needed.
Photo of Alli Hopkins

Alli Hopkins

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Timothy I'll give this a try as I haven't done a finalization yet. 

I also only have one employee.

Photo of Timothy E Mylne

Timothy E Mylne

Alli
Based on other Reckon conversations I would suggest that you do the adjustment; wait for it to be accepted; do not do the finanalization yet; close the APP fully (i.e. swipe it fully closed) then wait a minute or 2 before opening again.  Check that Employee Pay Summary is correct before proceeding to the finalization.