The file rmdview cannot be unzipped because it reports a virus

Thea Stainsby
Thea Stainsby Member Posts: 5
I am trying to install Reckon Accounts Personal 2019. I am using Avira for virus protection.
During the unzip process I am getting a message that the file rmdview.exe contains a pattern of HUER/AGEN.1028801 and is blocked.
I cannot find a way to circumvent this error condition. I have tried combinations of 
- downloading a fresh version of the package
- stopping Avira
- disconnecting the internet
- using WinZip to manually unzip the package
I have uninstalled Reckon Personal 2018.
I have been using Reckon for nearly 30 years and never experienced this problem before.
thank you
Thea Stainsby

Comments

• Andrew Christie
    Andrew Christie Member Posts: 149
    edited September 2019
    Hi Thea,

Google reports a number of instances where Avira reports similar errors on other program instals.

The fix was to put the reported file/s as an exception in your anti-virus program.

Try it and see how you go

regards
    Andrew
  • Thea Stainsby
    edited September 2019
    Hello Andrew,
    Thank you for your response.
    I have now uninstalled Avira (before seeing your response). The rmdview.exe file has now been extracted.
    I still cannot install Reckon Accounts Personal 2019, after asking if I want to 'make changes to my computer', it opens the temp folder Reckon_Accounts_Personal_2019 and just sits there.
    I have tried same under two different user accounts on my computer, one never been opened before.
    This has been happening to me since Reckon Accounts Plus 2019 was released in October 2018.
    Running Windows 10 (up to date) on HP Spectre with 8GB and 64-bit operating system.
    I am at my wits end....
    regards
    Thea
  • Andrew Christie
    edited September 2019
    Hi Thea,

Yep frustrating - I can feel your pain.

Best bet is to remove everything of your previous attempts e.g.

1. Uninstal your previous version of Reckon and also your previous attempts to install 2019

2. Remove the files/folders where you previously unzipped 'rmdview.exe'.

3. Re-check 1 and 2 for each user account that you tried to do the install.

Suggestion ... sometimes a cold boot (not a restart) afterwards as a safety precaution before attempting another install. :-)

Afterwards ...

Re-run the install direct from your CD/download package.

If no go afterwards perhaps another user may be able to assist as I am away for the next week.

regards

Andrew

• Thea Stainsby
    edited September 2019
    Thanks again Andrew, I now think there is an incompatibility between my PC setup and Reckon, as I had the same experience when I tried to install the 2018 version, which was working until my licence ran out. (Been o/s and couldn’t renew at the time). I will try your suggestions. Thanks Thea
  • Andrew Christie
    edited September 2019
    Ok, good luck and I hope it is definitely all good
  • Thea Stainsby
    edited September 2019
    I have followed Andrew Christie's suggestions and removed every bit of Reckon I could find on both user accounts. As well I have:
    1. uninstalled Avira
    2. downloaded a fresh version of ReckonAccountsPersonal2019
    3. Done cold reboot
    4. Stopped McAffee
    5. Disabled the firewall
    The installation failed again. After the files are unzipped I am asked the regular 'make changes to my computer'. The Temp\Reckon_Accounts_Personal_2019 folder is opened and nothing happens. I have tried to run as Administrator, but nothing happens.
    Are there any .DLLs or registry entries that could be lurking to cause this failure??
    The only other thing I can think of is that I purchased my computer in Panama (the country) and it was set up for the Spanish language. I run it in the English language. I have not had any problems installing other programs on this computer.
    I desperately need help.
    thanks
    Thea

• Thea Stainsby
    edited September 2019
    Problem finally solved! No thanks to Reckon.
    Avira certainly causes an issue extracting rmdview.exe - Something to do with the HEUR virus warning. I had to uninstall Avira to circumvent this.
    If the files are extracted properly you should go to the Temp folder where they are extracted, eg Reckon_Accounts_Personal_2019 and then navigate to HAB\DISK1 and double-click Setup.exe.
    In my case the installation was successful.
    NOTE the autorun.exe does not kick off the setup.exe process.