The best advice for Reckon Accounts Hosted 2014 - Make sure your browser is clean!

• Article
  • Updated 5 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Now that Reckon Accounts Hosted 2014 is purely based in the browser using HTML5, it really is like any other website you might access on your computer.

This means it is susceptible to spyware, viruses in your browser and just general malware.

In having a conversation with Peter Sanders from Reckon today, I explained my system was very fast, that I had not seen the tabbing issues and was not experiencing a lot of the bugs (apart from logging in being slow of course). Pete asked me why I thought that was.

I thought about it for a minute and explained that I am a "browser nazi" for want of a better word (and I don't mean to upset anybody by using that term).

I can't stand Spyware, Malware and other Crapware that floats around the internet waiting to self install at any given moment. I cringe at the sight of those Smiley Central toolbars, new.com toolbars, Yahoo toolbars and the rest.

Your browser is your gateway to the new Reckon Accounts.

Just like a server that would house your company databases and files, you want it kept clean and virus free. So why wouldn't you want the same for your browser?

I also use an AdBlocker program to deter these nasties from entering my browser, personally I use AdBlock Plus from http://adblockplus.org

I also use a service called Hola Unblocker which is an internet service that runs in your browser and provides you a cleaner and more stable internet experience. This is what is known as a VPN Proxy service and bypasses a lot of the traffic your ISP puts your internet service through.

So, the best advice I can give is,:

- Remove any browser add-ons that you don't need
- Remove any unwanted toolbars
- Install a pop up or ad blocker
- Reset your browser from time to time
- Use a free app such as CCleaner from www.piriform.com/CCLEANER if you are not sure how to do this - Beware when installing ANYTHING on your computer from the internet, read the fine print and don't just auto accept and install, as even Flash, Java and Adobe Readers come with nasties attached these days! - Why? Because they are paid mega bucks to do so!
- Set your WiFi to not self power off (you can do this in Control Panel in your Power settings)
- Use an alternative browser just for Reckon and maybe Online Banking (this will eliminate the clutter that may exist in your regular browser)
- Keep your Reckon data file clean, regular rebuilds (File - Utilities - Rebuild Data) will ensure this
- Make sure to close all open windows and especially large reports in Reckon Accounts when not needed, and LOG OFF CLEANLY - File - Utilities - Close Company/ Logoff - then File - Exit will log you off quickly and cleanly every time.

Anyhow, I just thought I would share this conversation with you all and hope that it might help.

Photo of Nathan Elcoate

Nathan Elcoate, Accredited Partner

• 7,290 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Simon Weinstein

Simon Weinstein

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Any ideas on why I still cannot logon? Business is at a standstill and I have payments and orders to process.

About your discussion above, I have no idea what yr talking about.

Photo of Krischan

Krischan

• 1,318 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
@Nathan,

thanks for your post - it is very informative and useful. It may not be the solution to all of the log-on problems or proplems experienced with time out etc, but certainly is useful and I totally agree that doing as you outline is first point of call  - especially ensuring you are using a clean browser for RECKON only (works well for us). Touch wood.
Photo of Bronwyn Kaye

Bronwyn Kaye

• 404 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Thanks Nathan for the advice about the ad block and cleaner.  I have been getting bombarded with "crap" on the screen anytime I needed to go onto  sites, most words are underlined, extra pages opening - its just been a nightmare. My computer skills are okay, I just didn't know what program I could get to stop the extra's.  I've done both as suggested, and I just went onto Gumtree - without having a multitude of ads flashing all over the screen.  So thanks - much appreciated.

I have been worried about going onto Reckon and trying the new program. I usually only need 3 days a month on the program (I do all the entries after the month has ended) - so I thought I might ride out all the teething problems and try to log on next week when any issues have been resolved.

Photo of Nathan Elcoate

Thanks Bronwyn, that's fantastic to hear!! Have a great day!
Photo of Bronwyn Kaye

Bronwyn Kaye

• 404 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Well, I bit the bullet, and launched the new program, and am delighted to say I didn't have any problems, got a black screen, but not for long - less than 10 seconds I say, found my file.  Navigated around, did a new backup to the B drive, used the download button up top and moved it to my own storage.  Thanks again Nathan on the tips to clean up the browser, also noted other tips to make sure Chrome was latest version, and used it.  (Always used Explorer before as Cixtrix didn't seem to work with Chrome for me).
Photo of Nathan Elcoate

Great well done, that's excellent to hear! :-D

There are so many new functions that will improve the way we did things in the old Citrix version, it will just take people time and the right attitude to work that out.

Well done, good on you!
Photo of Andrew Hellier

Andrew Hellier, Employee

• 3,836 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Excellent post Nathan thank you

Cheers,
Andrew
Photo of Jacqui

Jacqui

• 136 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Well Nathan. HEAR THIS! I am so frustrated, blood will fall on YOUR HANDS. Good thing I am here on my own. I really cannot face this Reckon anymore.... I'm done. Bye everyone.
Photo of Nathan Elcoate

Sorry to hear that Jacqui, I don't work for Reckon, I'm just someone trying to help, but OK I accept your feedback.

Have a lovely day.
Photo of Krischan

Krischan

@Jacqui

There are now many users that are able to log on and off and that are reporting it is working for them, in fact working well. I'm certain that if you do some more research here, as there is excellent info available such an NAthan has provided, to get through this hard and exhausting period. I'm certain that in the background RECKON are doing what they can to get everyone's account working again. Hang in and your's will work too. I spent all my time reading up here, rather than calling the hotline, as the hotline costs money and takes ages. Their hotline is useless, but good info available here in the forum.
Photo of Nathan Elcoate

Believe me they are, and Krischan your perseverance looks to now be rewarding you :-)
Photo of DoMeAFavour

DoMeAFavour

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Clean your browser like you've been told now and everything will work perfectly, you only have yourself to blame if you rely on an unclean browser.
Photo of Seriously WTF

Seriously WTF

• 1,032 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
or Reckon could go back to Citrix and not the cheap alternative from

http://www.ericom.com

Am I to blame for their pathetic infrastructure, bandwidth and choice of cheap software ?

The only issues we have are speed, access and data security.

Photo of DoMeAFavour

DoMeAFavour

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Apparently, yes. You are to blame for having a filthy browser other than Google Chrome, which solves all the above as well as the SMH crossword and global peace.
Photo of Seriously WTF

Seriously WTF

• 1,032 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I sniff chrome to finish the SMH crossword......
Photo of Andrew Hellier

Andrew Hellier, Employee

"DoMeAFavour" and "Seriously"

Just a follow up to see if you still wanted to further discuss your concerns over the phone.

If so I am waiting for your contact details at community@reckon.com

Cheers,
Andrew
(Edited)
Photo of Lorna Bock

Lorna Bock

• 116 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So is everyone else Andrew :)
Photo of Inigo

Inigo

• 6,320 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
There are a select group of people who just keep on posting negative stuff on other peoples questions without adding anything new or useful. (You know who you are)

A lot of other people are suffering from these problems and I can see that they are angry and frustrated too (and really you can't blame them for feeling this way, as they have every right to be based on their personal experience).

We're here to help each other (that's the idea anyway), how about we keep it that way.

-IM
Photo of Ashley Joyce

Ashley Joyce

• 700 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
In the past 24 hours I haven't experienced any connection & login problems

I was experiencing problems Monday, Tuesday and a little Wednesday morning.

But it seems these issues have been resolved for now. I'm not overly happy about the way printing & copy/paste take longer.... but can live with it.

Overall I feel the negatives still out way the positives in relation to changing to the new system.

I'm curious to hear whether other reckon online users feel the upgrade was a step forward or backwards.
Photo of Nathan Elcoate

I feel the print to PDF, whilst there are a couple of steps involved, it eliminates the program trying to connect to millions of different types of local printers.

The copy and paste is a little meh but once you get used to it, it's OK.

The upload and download tools are fantastic for downloading ABA files, BAS files, backups and the like.

The logon method is much faster and not having to have anything installed to access the system (ie Citrix Receiver, Reckon Compatibility Checker and more..) is a real bonus,

I love having the system in my tab as it allows me to drag the tab to which ever screen I want it on, and I can print multiple reports to multiple tabs and have them side by side without having to save them as PDF first or email them to myself.

I don't have to any plugins installed on my tablet as I can just login exactly the same way I do from my PC.

I also find the new product feels more "Cloud" than previously and it also feels a lot faster.

I must admit when I first went onto the Beta program, I felt the same way you did, but it wasn't long before the positives outweighed the negatives and I started to really love it.

Not to mention having a personalised Username now and much better password options.

This is just my 2cents worth of course :-)
Photo of Lorna Bock

Lorna Bock

• 116 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Initial teething problems were not pleasant to say the least, however log in has been easier today. Still getting calls from clients who are having problems (mostly Mac users) After having advised smaller clients to delay log-in until the inevitable fix, the request to set up new user name is clearly confusing. The ask for new user name comes with instructions below that relate to a new password... I have had so many queries from clients this week who are trying to log in with their old ID number and using the new ID Name as the password...  As a Professional Partner, our firm deals with 100 plus clients who, I must say, have been relatively understanding through this weeks challenges. Am still waiting to see the positives... Just my 2 cents worth....

Photo of btron

btron

• 1,044 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
meh. reckon turned me into a internet troll.......  btw... still buggy
Photo of Andrew Hellier

Andrew Hellier, Employee

Hi Btron
Lets have a chat tomorrow
Can you please email me your contact details to community@reckon.com
Cheers
Andrew
Photo of Krischan

Krischan

I personally only have two small gripes, they aren't preventing us from using the program, but it would be amazing if these were attended to.

a) No automatic logging off due to inactivity (or have the time used defined - Pleeeease!)
b) This addresses the slower printing function many users are complaining about and would make it
just that little bit faster and more user friendly still, if when mouse clicking 'print' the 'print' button in the print dialogue window would be the active button so can just hit 'enter' rather than more mouse clicking.

These two gripes fixed and I would now have a pleasant user experience.

Anyone know if these could be addrressed to the developement team once all the log-on and off issues are at bay? 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.