Transaction Enter button does not work in Reckon Personal Plus 2017. Any ideas?

Kevin_9744542
Kevin_9744542 Member Posts: 8

Comments

• Andrew Christie
    Andrew Christie Member Posts: 149
    edited June 2019
    Hi Kevin
    Can you explain exactly what you what you mean by the 'enter key does not work...'
    Andy
  • Kevin_9744542
    edited August 2018
    Hi Andrew, when i open an account in Reckon I get a blank line at the bottom of the page and can enter a new transaction into this line.  I should then be able to press "enter", the data entered should be saved and a new blank line should appear.  At the present pressing "enter" does not save the current line nor is a new blank line created.  I have of course restarted computer, restarted Quicken but the situation is still the same.  Any ideas?  Thanks, Kevin
  • Andrew Christie_9226043
    Andrew Christie_9226043 Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2018
    Hi Kevin, thanks for clarifying. I am not in front of the PC The the moment but. He K register preferences for use of enter key. Think path is edit > preferences > register. You may have to adjust the setting here for enter to work as you desire.
  • Andrew Christie
    edited June 2019
    Hi Kevin, sorry re spelling. Path is 

Any help?
  • Kevin_9744542
    edited August 2018
    Thanks Andrew, I tried using the "use enter key to move between fields" and yes that gives me the ability to move between fields.  The underlying issue still remains though. After filling in a transaction line I cannot get Quicken to give me a new (and blank) transaction line.  It should give me a blank line, it used to give me a blank line but now it does not.  The only thing I can think of between the time that it worked and now is that I did a full virus scan of the computer.  That should not affect anything but it seems to be the only thing different that has been done to the computer.  Everything works OK on the computer and in Quicken except for this problem.  A bit strange really!  I am now thinking of deleting Quicken entirely and reloading.  What do you think?????
  • Andrew Christie
    edited June 2019
    Hmm, bit drastic. When you are ready to complete a transaction, in other words hit the ENTER key, does the shortcut ALT-T complete the transaction and create a new line?
  • Andrew Christie
    edited August 2018
    Yep, that 2
  • Kevin_9744542
    edited August 2018
    Hi, ALT-T does not work nor CTRL-Enter. I have also realised that back-up and restore back-up functions do not work either.  I tried a validate on QUICKEN> qdata file (i assume that is the file to validate, I'm not sure of the validate function) and i get messages of "unable to close files", "unable to load item list file" and "cannot validate this file for assistance contact customer support".  Am I doing the validation function correctly?  Kevin
  • Andrew Christie
    edited June 2019
    Hi Kevin

Re validation of your file - you are selecting the following file type xyz.QDF file where xyz = the name of your accounts file e.g. kevin.qdf? BTW how many characters in your file name?

Super validate: Hold down the shift and control keys as you go to file - file operations - validate

regards
  • Kevin_9744542
    edited August 2018
    Thanks for the help.  The name of the file is QDATA.qdf located in the Quicken folder.  What I have found is that the QDATA files in Quicken>Backup will open and work correctly (hooray!). So it looks like the issue is in the current QDATA file.  I am busy the next few days so i will try this again on Monday.  I am thinking i need to maybe open the last QDATA backup version and then manually reload any missing account data.
  • Kevin_9744542
    edited August 2018
    Well we get closer I think.  The problem we have been dealing with has been caused by a cash account that I created.  Deleting this account removes the problem and new blank lines are created when entering transactions into accounts.  So when I found that an earlier back-up version worked it was because that version did not have the cash account in it.  So deleting the cash account solves this problem.  What I find now is that I cannot perform a back-up function.  So if I delete the cash account, close reckon and then reopen reckon, the cash account is still there.  I think if I could delete the cash account and do a back-up function everything would be ok.  Any thoughts on why the back up function will not work?  Restore back-up does not work either.  Thanks, Kevin
  • Kevin_9744542
    edited August 2018
    Not just back-up function but also the normal saving process that reckon does when you make a change.  Close Reckon and open it again and any changes (new transactions etc) are lost.
  • Kevin_9744542
    edited August 2018
    No it doesn't. I guess there is some corruption somewhere and maybe multiple corruptions.  I will puddle a bit tomorrow but I am thinking that a complete reload is going to be the only answer.  Hopefully after the reload I can do a restore back-up to regain the accounts data.  Will let you know how I go.
    Cheers, Kevin