Unable to specify lots when selling shares in Personal Plus 2015

Warren Traves
Warren Traves Member Posts: 4
For the first time I need to specify lots when selling part of share holding.  I want to use last in, first out.  I cannot "specify lots" because the button is greyed out, and if I don't specify lots then the software seems to assume first in, first out.  Any suggestions?  I see people have mentioned that "use average cost" might be checked, but I cannot locate this anywhere.

Comments

• Babi
    Babi Alumni Posts: 75
    edited June 2016
    Hello Warren,

Thank you for your post!

Firstly, I reckon you might have followed some threads from Intuit, which refers to Quicken US and not US as they are completely separate products and not all instructions would match.

Unless otherwise instructed, Reckon Accounts (formerly Quicken) will still sell shares on an average basis – that is the average price of the shares bought but however normally, you can select specific lots by clicking on the Specify Lots button on the Sell – Shares Sold entry form. 

The reasons why the options may have greyed out could be:

1. How the Bought shares entry are recorded? Are they recorded correctly?

2. Do you see any place holders entry? 

3. Is your file coming from old versions? I can try to replicate the same, I wonder if during the conversion it may have locked that feature? If coming from old version, kindly let me know from what version and let me know if it was working then?

4. If you test with different account or for different security, does it works? Or test with new security  and new account please?

If its working with other ones, it could be data corruption so what you can try is:

Go to > Investing Security Detail View> select your security>On the right hand side, you will see the transactions, so you then may need to double click on one by one to each of them and refresh, Just by taking out the price and re-entering .

6. Apart from this, you can also do a validate to the data file and super validate as well.

File> File operations>Validate> select the file and continue the process.

Let me wait for the updates from you and will continue further,

Regards,
    Babi
  • Warren Traves
    edited November 2015
    Thanks Babi.  Appreciate the differences in the product so thanks for the clarification.  I have previously located the "specify lots" button but, as mentioned, it's greyed out.  So...  responses to your questions:
    1. Bought shares entries look okay - pretty straightforward.  The only unusual matter is that there was a 4-for-1 split in 2006.
    2. I can't see any placeholder entries.
    3. Yes, the purchases have come from an old version.  I have upgraded several times over the years.  I've probably had 5 or 6 versions over 10+ years, and parcels of shares in this particular entity would have been added under each version.  This particular file started in 2002.  I don't know if "specify lots" worked previously because I've never tried to sell only part of a security holding before.
    4. I've tested on a more recent security and it seems to work.
    5. I've updated all of the "buy" records for the problem security, by deleting and re-entering the price as suggested.  This doesn't seem to have fixed the problem.
    6. I've validated and super-validated the file.  This doesn't seem to have fixed the problem.
    7. For clarity, the "specify lots" button is not greyed out until I select the security.  The moment I move away from the drop-down box after selecting the security, the "specify lots" button goes grey.
    Thank you for assistance.

Regards
    Warren
  • Babi
    edited June 2016
    Hi Warren,

Thank for the update.

Sorry to hear it has not helped you. Well, I believe then you will have to refresh all transactions since the issue has occurred. There might be some corrupt transactions. So we need to manually refresh them just like as mentioned before. I have had experienced similar issue in the past with one of the client and that workaround had helped for him.

Please try them and let me know the update,

Thanks

Babi

• Warren Traves
    edited November 2015
    Hi Babi

I have deleted and re-entered all of the buy transactions related to the particular security. Unfortunately the problem persists. I have not, however, deleted and re-entered all of the dividends.  That would be a mammoth task involving around 150 transactions, so I am not very keen to do that.

Thanks
    Warren
  • Warren Traves
    edited December 2015
    I have now fixed the problem.  This involved deleting all of the transactions for the particular security, then deleting it from the security list.  I then re-entered all of the transactions using a different security name just in case.  It's taken me about three hours to re-enter around 20 capital transactions and 150 dividend transactions...  But at least it works.  Happy that it's fixed; less happy that it's taken so long and there was no simpler fix apparent.
  • Babi
    edited June 2016
    Hi Warren,

Thanks for the update!

I can understand the pain indeed and I am very glad that you have fixed the issue from its root.

Thanks for trying !!

Have a good day!!

Regards,

Babi