Unable to upgrade to Reckon Accounts 2017

Myocum Nsw
Myocum Nsw Member Posts: 7
edited August 2019 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Win 7 Pro, trying to upgrade an existing Reckon 2016 stand-alone setup to the 2017 version, both via the DVD supplied and downloaded upgrade setup, but keeps telling me that "installation has been interrupted.."  Have uninstalled anti-virus software (Webroot) so I know that's not the problem, tried a separate install on MS .Net framework, anyone got any other things I can try?   TIA.

Comments

• lance arthy_6701920
    lance arthy_6701920 Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2017
    My setup is Win7 Pro desktop version of Reckon Accounts Enterprise 2016. I get as far as the warning " Setup failed to find a valid Reckon Accounts 2017 installation in path:" My existing Tax Table version is 1617252, which is the up to date one (I think).
  • Myocum Nsw
    edited July 2017
    I don't get anywhere enough in to the upgrade to get any choice about where to install.   This is the first time in about 7 years I've had a borked upgrade and I'm not impressed, especially when I called the Reckon helpline and a computer advised me that it's 4$/min support...eeek.
  • Myocum Nsw
    edited July 2017
    Yes, running as admin under Windows.   If there's an admin function in Reckon then I can't get to that during the upgrade process.
  • Allana_9169942
    Allana_9169942 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2017
    I am having the same issue.  Has anyone been able to resolve it yet?

• Myocum Nsw
    edited July 2017
    Hi Kevin, my account under Windows has Administrator privileges - is that what you are asking or do you mean do I have an Administrator account separate to my account? Cheers.
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited July 2017
    Hi Myocum NSW & Allana,

Just to jump in here, can you please ensure that your current program is not running in the background during the installation process.
    Firstly, reboot your PC prior to trying to install, then check your Task Manager that no Reckon Accounts services are running in background before initiating the install.

Let me know how that goes

Cheers
    Rav

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Myocum Nsw
    edited July 2017
    Hi Rav, yes, I've re-booted the PC a few times during this failed upgrade process and no Reckon services are running.  Thanks.
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited July 2017
    Great thanks for getting back to me Myocum,

The next step I would suggest is to perform the install in Selective Startup mode to ensure there is no other conflicts prohibiting the install.
    There's info and instructions on how to do this if you need here -

Running your PC in Selective Startup to install or activate Reckon Accounts

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Myocum Nsw
    edited July 2017
    Thanks Rav, I had already gone down the Selective Startup process without any luck with the install.
  • Rav
    edited July 2017
    Apologies for the delay in getting back to you Myocum, ok aside from performing a clean uninstall/reinstall, the only other suggestion I can recommend is to give our support team a buzz so that one of our technicians can take a look into what could be causing the install failure.

• Mel Donnon
    Mel Donnon Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2017
    Myocum, I was originally unable to upgrade, the 2017 link did nothing when I clicked on it.  I only tried Monday morning 3/7/17 but when I tried in the afternoon, it seemed to be working & I have since been able to upgrade today.  Hope yours is sorted soon.
  • Erica_9173825
    Erica_9173825 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2017
    how do you do this?

• Myocum Nsw
    edited July 2017
    Someone might know, the DVD sent out to us is labelled Reckon Accounts 2017, and the earlier email indicated that this program needed to be installed by 22 June and that a further update is to come.

We installed an update last year with a disk labelled Reckon Accounts 2017 and have been using it for some time, surely I'm not try to upgrade an existing 2017 setup with itself? If so I can understand why it isn't working...the upgrade advice isn't clear.
  • Erica_9173825
    edited July 2017
    I tried that still no go.
  • Erica_9173825
    edited July 2017
    Thank you but i am travelling away for a couple of days now and not back with the computer until Sat night or Sunday now.
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited July 2017
    Hi Myocum,

Sorry to hear of this issue is persisting.  Usually a clean un-install, re-install in Selective Startup while being logged onto the computer as the built-in Admin does the trick.

A couple of questions.
    Did you request a disk of Reckon Accounts Business 2017 R2 (a full install with the 2017 Tax Tables already applied)?  
    Are you installing this R2 on the same PC that the original 2017 is installed?

If you have a full installation disk of 2017 R2 then you must un-install the original installation of 2017 (R1).

The next consideration for your circumstances is a print spooler problem.  this was identified and resolution provided a few years ago in this Community post.  

I'm reprinting the solution here.....

We have identified that some printer monitoring software stopping the Reckon Accounts Business 2014 installer with the 'installation was interrupted error'. The workaround is to manually stop the printer monitoring services or the printer spooler service (which stops all other printer monitoring services),  stop the dependencies associated with the Print Spooler service then restart  the Print Spooler service and carry out the installation. 
    1. Go to Start Menu. 
    2. Type Services into your Splash Screen (the Search Bar (if Windows 8 just type Services into your Splash Screen) then click on the Services search result
    3. View Services (Local)
    4. Go down the list of Services and right click on the Service called Print Spooler
    5. Right click on the Service and in the Menu select Stop the Service (take note of any dependent services linked to the Print Spooler when stopped)
    6. Restart the Print Spooler service
    7. Close the Services Window
    8. Install Reckon Accounts Business 
    9. Open Reckon Accounts Business
    10. Once confirmed installed and working you need to restart the dependent services of the Print Spooler as noted before.
    11.  Go to Start Menu, type Services into the Search Bar and open.
    12. In the list of Services, go through the list and look for any of the dependent service/s noted down and then right click and in the menu select Restart.
    Hope this helps.

regards,
    John.