updating to 2014, but have a new computer

Rebecca_6470826
Rebecca_6470826 Member Posts: 34
I still haven't upgraded to 2014 because I'm trying to phase out my old laptop and put everything on my new laptop. I have 3 computers in total, and want 2014 on my new desktop computer at work, and my new laptop.  I only have installed 2013 on my old laptop.  I use Reckon Accounts Pro which I know you can upload on two computers only.

My question is...

Do I have to use one of my licences to upgrade on my old laptop before I can transfer all my data to my new laptop and desktop?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• ARC BookKeeping
    ARC BookKeeping Member Posts: 168
    edited August 2014
    Hi Rebecca,

When you up grade a company file it is best to do it from a 'backup copy' or 'portable company file'.

So what I would do is back up your company files on your old laptop in RA2013. or onto a flash drive.
    (Before you do now would be a great time to do some maintenance on your file. open all your lists - items & suppliers & customer etc, and resort them, next do a back up... making sure you click on the options button and check that complete verify is selected.) Now do a Portable company file.

Now you can copy these backup files over to your new laptop & desktop (or just move the flash drive over). 

Next you open RA2014 on your new PC/Laptop and choose restore a backup or portable company file.. choose one or the other...(My personal preference is to restore from Portable rather than a back up.) you can also choose to rename the company file if you want.... I tend to call the new file something like 'ABC Services in RA2014' this way I can easily tell which product the file was last opened in.

Part way thru opening this file you will get asked do you want to upgrade the file... Type yes and you are done.

Cheers
    Angie Carlyle

• Rebecca_6470826
    edited June 2020
    Thanks Angie,
    why do you prefer portable file?
    I've never really used this before, only backup files.

Kind Regards,
    Rebecca
  • ARC BookKeeping
    edited August 2014
    The way that Portable was described to me... is that it breaks the data down smaller and then when you restore it, the program tidies up the company file even more, I portable file is also a smaller file in actual size easy for emailing etc...

Also, simplicity, when I choose restore from Portable company file ... the folder that it is restored to only has the company file & 2 other necessary files created (.nd & .tlg) ... where as if you restore a back up there are several other folders created and basically I get confused as to what is needed... lol....  :)  

After you have restored from a Portable I also do another Verify Backup... just to be sure.

In the folder where your company file is stored, you will see two other files one is a .ND the other .TLG . The .TLG is a transaction log file where Reckon stores all information about the file since the last verify backup, this file can get very big if verify backups are not done regularly and this slows down the program.

Cheers
    Angie Carlyle

• Rebecca_6470826
    edited June 2020
    Thanks again Angie!

I'm not sure I follow you totally, but I'll give it a go.  I want to reconcile till end June before I upgrade.  Hopefully I can get there in the next day or two.   
  • ARC BookKeeping
    edited August 2014
    ReSort List: Puts the list back into alphbetical order, two ways to access this feature...do it to all lists...
    imageimage

Save company file or back up: image

Back up options:

Two Files that sit beside Company file...
    This company file has not been verified recently, I can tell because the size of it is bigger then 192kb

hope this helps

Cheers
    Angie Carlyle

• Rebecca_6470826
    edited June 2020
    Yes, I see now.  I have one extra file against each of my company files...
    the three you say,
    1. company file
    2. QBW.ND
    3. QBW.TLG
    plus this extra
    4. .ND

Not sure why I have an extra. 

Thanks for your time Angie!
    Kind Regards,
    Rebecca
  • Rebecca_6470826
    edited June 2020
    Angie, could you help me on a totally different topic?

I have just realised that I paid a supplier twice. 

They don’t want to refund me the money, they want to keep it against my account to pay for future bills.

How do I put this through Reckon Accounts?

Kind Regards,

Rebecca

• ARC BookKeeping
    edited July 2015
    Hi Rebecca,

Are you still following this post?
    do you still need help with this Supplier paid twice?

Sorry I didnt respond earlier I obviously  have missed this post...and I am just now going thru my past posts and un-following those I dont need any more, and noticed this.

regards
    Angie Carlyle
  • Rebecca_6470826
    edited July 2015
    Hi Angie.

I'm all finished with this one.

Thanks.  :)

Kind Regards,
    Rebecca